PDA

View Full Version : US Food Prices Sharply Up

anorak
14-08-2007, 19:02
Just got this in on the news feed:

The Labor Department's most recent inflation data showed that U.S. food prices rose by 4.1 percent for the 12 months ending in June, but a deeper look at the numbers reveals that the price of milk, eggs and other essentials in the American diet are actually rising by double digits.

Already stung by a two-year rise in gasoline prices, American consumers now face sharply higher prices for foods they can't do without. This little-known fact may go a long way to explaining why, despite healthy job statistics, Americans remain glum about the economy.

Meeting with economic writers last week, President Bush dismissed several polls that show Americans are down on the economy. He expressed surprise that inflation is one of the stated concerns.
"They cite inflation?" Bush asked, adding that, "I happen to believe the war has clouded a lot of people's sense of optimism."

But the inflation numbers reveal the extent to which lower- and middle-income Americans are being pinched.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its June inflation report that egg prices are 19.5 percent higher than they were in June 2006. Over the same period, according to the department's consumer price index, whole milk was up 13.3 percent; fresh chicken 10 percent; navel oranges 19.8 percent; apples 11.7 percent. Dried beans were up 11.5 percent, and white bread just missed double-digit growth, rising by 9.6 percent.

These numbers get lost in the broader inflation rate for all goods and services, which measured 2.7 for the same 12-month period. Across the economy, rising food prices were offset by falling prices for things bought at the mall: computers, cameras, clothing and shoes.

"All of that stuff is going down in price, but prices for gasoline have gotten higher, and food prices have gone up," said Mark Vitner, a senior economist for Wachovia, a large national bank based in Charlotte, N.C.

People also go to the mall a lot less than they go to the grocery store, so they're constantly reminded that dietary staples are up sharply.

Why are food prices rising?

It's partly because of corn prices, driven up by congressional mandates for ethanol production, which have reduced the amount of corn available for animal feed. It's also because of tougher immigration enforcement and a late spring freeze, which have made farm laborers scarcer and damaged fruit and vegetable crops, respectively. And it's because of higher diesel fuel costs to run tractors and attractive foreign markets that take U.S. production.

The Labor Department's last detailed survey of consumer spending, in 2005, showed that Americans spent about 12.8 percent of their income on food. A bit more than 7 percent of their income was spent on food at home, and 5.7 percent was spent on food away from home.

These percentages suggest that higher food prices, while unwelcome, won't break the bank for most consumers. But for retirees such as Jacqueline Wilson, 60, of Upper Marlboro, Md., rising food and fuel prices take a big bite out of fixed income.

"I make every dollar count," said Wilson, outside a Giant supermarket. "I cut back. ... I get only as much as I need. I don't buy it because it is 10 for $10, but so that I'm using it and not wasting my money."

Asked about her view of the economy, she answered, "Terrible."

Cruella DeVilla
14-08-2007, 20:07
Interesting.

To be honest I never look at the price of everyday groceries when I am shopping in the States. If I am honest I have no idea what a pint of milk or a loaf of bread costs in this country either[msneek]

Kazzie
14-08-2007, 20:16
Snap! I dont have a clue how much things cost, I just put them in the trolley[msnembarrased]

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Interesting.

To be honest I never look at the price of everyday groceries when I am shopping in the States. If I am honest I have no idea what a pint of milk or a loaf of bread costs in this country either[msneek]
[/quote]

Cruella DeVilla
14-08-2007, 20:28
Karen I think its a case of needs must and if we like it we have it, I did say once I would look at cutting our normal weekly shoping bill as it was ridiculous for just the two of us but Andy was like "no way what do we work for"!!:D

Nina A
14-08-2007, 20:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie
Snap! I dont have a clue how much things cost, I just put them in the trolley[msnembarrased]

Karen

Interesting.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Snap us too [msnembarrased] We have noticed that our grocery bill does seem higher in the States than over here though, especially compared with other items such as clothing. We've decided it's actually cheaper for us (and less hassle) to eat out when in Florida. Well that's our excuse anyway :)

blott
14-08-2007, 21:57
If milk, bread, or the rest of the staple foods cost £x or $x, then you have to have it whatever its price.

When we were in Florida in June, you could still get one of those yucky white sliced loaves (the too sweet ones) for 69 cents.

When you can get a meal or 'fixings' in $s for the price we'd pay in £s, who's counting anyway? Like petrol/gas, prices have got a long way to go to catch up!

chrizzy100
14-08-2007, 23:16
I doubled my food bill when I first moved over here....my mum has a fit when she see the cost of everything...
Everything here is expensive once you are paid in $$...

Katys Grandad
14-08-2007, 23:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by blott

When you can get a meal or 'fixings' in $s for the price we'd pay in £s, who's counting anyway? Like petrol/gas, prices have got a long way to go to catch up!
[/quote]

I understand the point you make but, unless you eat out for all your meals at home, the 'saving' is more notional that actual. I'm not even sure I would agree that eating out in the US is that much cheaper that at home. Add the 9-13% tax and 15-20% tip and there really isn't that much difference.

I don't pay that much attention to grocery prices but I haven't noticed any great differences. If anything, I've found US prices to be marginally higher, particularly on good quality items.

anorak
15-08-2007, 13:19
We find that basic items like eggs, butter, chicken, barbecue sauce,flour, milk, some fruit and vegetables and of course "orange juice not from concentrate" are cheaper particularly if you buy them in larger packs from Sams Club .
We make our own bread, its proper bread even though we make it in an electronic breadmaker it comes out real nice. Not like the sweet lightweight supermarket "bread" which we would not eat. If you can still find a proper bakery in Fl you will find that their bread is very expensive, but there aren't many left and you are going to have to burn gas to get to it unless you are lucky and live round the corner - something which doesn't happen much in the US with everything so spread out.

As far as other food is concerned if you want to buy anything that has been "processed" and put in a fancy box with a fancy name then it costs more than in UK.

I put the food prices here down to increased refrigeration costs due to the weather, shipping from a long distance and higher fuel costs, too many stores chasing not enough customers each, too much advertising.

ShirleyD
15-08-2007, 14:31
Im sure without looking too hard I could find a similar report about food in the UK, due to the floods, overpackaging etc and we certainly don't have a bakers within walking distance either [msnscared]

I am doing my best to boost the Florida economy with my shopping trips [msnwink] When I see thoses fab blue skies, I have to say that all those things associated with everyday life just dissapear from my mind. It is such a great place to go and unwind [clap]

steph_goodrum
15-08-2007, 16:15
We have been having this discussion recently about the cost of fresh vegetables etc due to the bad weather and are increasing rapidly. Bread as well even the young lad who served me in ouor local shop a couple of months ago double checked because he, like me, noticed the jump from 73p for a loaf of Hovis bread to £1.03 overnight.

Paula D-S
15-08-2007, 16:25
The last thing I think about when planning a trip to the sunshine state is the cost of groceries......much more important things to think about,like:-
should I lie of my stomach or back whilst sunbathing
which restaurant tonight
which park today
florida mall or Orlando premium outlets[msnwink]

anorak
15-08-2007, 16:28
On the news recently they said that the increased price of wheat would increase the cost of a loaf by about 5p, other foodstuffs which include anything made from maize (lots of sweet things are made with corn syrup from maize) will also go up as maize has doubled in price as there is a big demand for it to make alcohols to add to gasoline as an alternative fuel.

blott
15-08-2007, 16:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

[/quote]

I understand the point you make but, unless you eat out for all your meals at home, the 'saving' is more notional that actual. I'm not even sure I would agree that eating out in the US is that much cheaper that at home. Add the 9-13% tax and 15-20% tip and there really isn't that much difference.

I don't pay that much attention to grocery prices but I haven't noticed any great differences. If anything, I've found US prices to be marginally higher, particularly on good quality items.[/quote]We eat out in Florida for around $35 for two of us, for a main course, dessert and a soda or coffee each. That includes tax and the tip. Nothing spectacular, just an 'ordinary' meal.

We just had a comparable 'pub' meal in the UK which was £25 for two of us. Also nothing spectacular, just an ordinary meal.

Strawberries from Sainsbury's are £1.89 a punnet. In Florida they were $5 for two punnets, each comparable in size to the Sainsbury's one or maybe even a little larger.

I were going to be pedantic about it, I'd call those 'actual' savings.

There are some items in Florida that are more expensive than in the UK but not many. There will always be differences in another country's prices for some items.

But, for people going to visit Florida on vacation, then I think they would probably be surprised how inexpensive it can be, whether it's the overall supermarket shopping bill or for the cost for eating out. There's a whole lot more exciting stuff to Florida than concerning ourselves unnecessarily about the cost of food there.

DiannaUK
15-08-2007, 17:26
I'm genuinely surprised that some people feel it is more expensive to eat out in the US than in the UK

I have always found it much cheaper, plus the venues are nicer, the staff are more helpful and the portions are bigger.

I've also found my overall supermarket bill to compare favourably with the UK, even though I tend to buy more treats when I'm on holiday (for the family, you understand, not for me [msnwink])

Before I used to visit FL so regularly, my credit card bill would often groan at the cost of eating out in Spain, Portugal or Greece, whereas it purrs quite nicely when I'm in the US.

Whatever ......... the place is fabulous, the restaurants are plentiful and varied, the weather is great, the attractions are fun, it's good value for money, and best of all, you're on holiday ..................................ENJOY!

Dianna

chrizzy100
15-08-2007, 17:38
if you holiday to FL from within the USA you should find Orlando a cheaper place to shop than most places up North...my food bill is half the cost..eating out can cost more...we have more offers up here...which I've yet to find in Orlando...

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 17:41
Angela you mention you go to Sams Club to bulk buy, is it a big saving on the general supermarkets? Do you live in Floirda on a full time basis or just have a holiday home there like Chrizzy and notice a difference as you are aso up North so to speak.

Katys Grandad
15-08-2007, 17:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott

[/quote]

I don't pay that much attention to grocery prices but I haven't noticed any great differences. If anything, I've found US prices to be marginally higher, particularly on good quality items.[/quote]We eat out in Florida for around $35 for two of us, for a main course, dessert and a soda or coffee each. That includes tax and the tip. Nothing spectacular, just an 'ordinary' meal.

We just had a comparable 'pub' meal in the UK which was £25 for two of us. Also nothing spectacular, just an ordinary meal.

Strawberries from Sainsbury's are £1.89 a punnet. In Florida they were $5 for two punnets, each comparable in size to the Sainsbury's one or maybe even a little larger.

[/quote]

It isn't a saving at all unless the meals are exactly the same.

What you had was 2 different meals on 2 different occasions in 2 different places in 2 different countries and can't be truly 'comparable'. The fact that 1 is cheaper that the other is inevitable but surely not a basis for a wider point that eating out in the US/Florida is always cheaper.

That being said, I would agree that where true comparison is possible (eg McDonalds etc..) the US prices are generally lower but it certainly isn't true across the wider range of eating out. I could give you plenty of examples but I feel fairly sure we eat at different places.[msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 17:58
I would consider myself a bit of a gastronomist and I do feel it is cheaper to eat out in Floirda. I am not a lover of the fast food type places so can't comment on those. I do prefer something a bit more upmarket generally and I have certainly found these to be cheaper.

On a more average sort of place take Mannys and a 9oz Filet Mignon for example where in the UK could you get this quality and size/thickness of steak with all the extras you get included/loaded into the price for the equiv of $17.48 what approx £8.74 (The 7 oz would be the equiv of £7.49 give or take a penny or two) and that is only two of a dozen examples I am thinking of at the mo?

Dont get me started on fish and seafood compared to the UK it is a steal.

For me the very bottom line would be the quality of the food and then the price. You get what you pay for to use the old cliche.
When you are on vacation you generally don't give a monkeys and after all we are a vacation forum so most would not care about the price of maize.

Katys Grandad
15-08-2007, 18:20
I would consider myself a bit of a gastromist.

For me the very bottom line would be the quality of the food and then the price. You get what you pay for to use the old cliche.
When you are on vacation you generally don't give a monkeys and after all we are a vacation forum so most would not care about the price of maize.
[/quote]

I think that's a pretty fair summary CDV. BTW - What's a Gastromist?

blott
15-08-2007, 18:23

[/quote]

[/quote]

It isn't a saving at all unless the meals are exactly the same.

What you had was 2 different meals on 2 different occasions in 2 different places in 2 different countries and can't be truly 'comparable'. The fact that 1 is cheaper that the other is inevitable but surely not a basis for a wider point that eating out in the US/Florida is always cheaper.

That being said, I would agree that where true comparison is possible (eg McDonalds etc..) the US prices are generally lower but it certainly isn't true across the wider range of eating out. I could give you plenty of examples but I feel fairly sure we eat at different places.[msnwink][/quote]Both of the meals were exactly the same food components in the UK as we've eaten in Florida, which is the reason I said they were comparable. :)

No, I'm absolutely sure we don't eat in the same places. [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 18:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 : 14:20:50

I think that's a pretty fair summary CDV. BTW - What's a Gastromist?

[/quote]

Edited by - Cruella DeVilla on 15 Aug 2007 14:19:37

:D KG Was editing it as you typed, I blame the long nails:D

Katys Grandad
15-08-2007, 18:26

No, I'm absolutely sure we don't eat in the same places. [msnwink]
[/quote]

:DVive la difference!!:D

blott
15-08-2007, 18:36
No, I'm absolutely sure we don't eat in the same places. [msnwink][/quote]:DVive la difference!!:D[/quote]Oh yes indeedy. :D

chrizzy100
15-08-2007, 19:11
I do find fruit does not keep well here...so I buy to eat that day...

Its a big money maker shipping fruit around the country...and we end up with goods that are not as fresh as they could be...

anorak
15-08-2007, 19:21
Cruella, we are there 6 months a year so we don't eat out too much. We certainly enjoy eating out, we sometimes eat at the good restaurants at Busch theme parks as we get 30% off with employee family passes, or Smokey Bones while they are still in existence, no more Golden Corral or Ponderosa for us, too noisy for us oldies now.
We probably don't spend as much on food in Fl as we do in UK, our utility bills are less and our gas bill is about the same as we have to drive further and our cars are thirstier although gas is cheaper.
All in all its affordable although the property tax rise to 3 times what it was came as a big shock. And it can't be too bad as we are looking for a bigger home now they are coming down to a more sensible price.

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 19:40
Where are you thinking about purchasing Angela, obviously not in a STR area so what takes your fancy now that prices are coming down, I have seen some "bargains" whilst purusing myself?

(Ponderosa is a bad word on here I know not many folks will give it the time of day[sick] I am not a lover of the all you can eat unless it is somewhere like TDB or GLP)?

chrizzy100
15-08-2007, 20:06
Are you thinking of moving on CDV...

We looked around when I thought house prices were at their all time high...so we could sell at a high and buy low...but I could not find any place I liked better than I already had...it fits all our needs...

anorak
15-08-2007, 20:27
Thing is Cruella if we bought in an STR area we might actually get better value for the sort of home we want with large sq footage,the 2 masters etc. Would we like the constant changeovers every week or two and the constant partying? I don't know if it would be too bad really if we also had no rear neighbours, backing onto woodland, and a reasonable space between us and the neighbours to the side. Many STR homes have nice lots and good upgrades.
In a residential area (non STR) these days its a help if you speak Spanish well if you want to interact with your neighbours and we are not fluent, but improving.
Anyway I would look at down US 27, not too keen on even the Kissimmee side of Poinciana, parts of Kissimmee OK but getting a bit touristy for us.
Then of course we could go rural and look around E Lake Toho around Narcoossee or even out to Kenansville but there just arent many of the sort of homes like we would like there although its delightfully rural.

We used to love Ponderosa near old town on 192, it was always good for us, never had a complaint at that location except it was often rather too full of noisy Brits! (LOL)

We quite liked the Golden Corral up on 535/I4 as well but definitely not the one nearer to us on 192, just plain wore out.

I guess we just got more affluent and outgrew them.

Cruising is our thing now, next one is Barcelona to Boston on the new NCL Gem, now if you like food that's the place to eat.

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 20:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Are you thinking of moving on CDV...

We looked around when I thought house prices were at their all time high...so we could sell at a high and buy low...but I could not find any place I liked better than I already had...it fits all our needs...

[/quote]

Probably in time but not yet I still have a love affair with our place but always intended to move to Naples but way down the line, it depends how things go in the next few years, who knows?

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 20:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak

Then of course we could go rural and look around E Lake Toho around Narcoossee or even out to Kenansville but there just arent many of the sort of homes like we would like there although its delightfully rural.

[/quote]

Sounds wonderful though.

chrizzy100
15-08-2007, 20:59
I like living in STR...well now its mostly locals...if I have partying neighbours its only for a few days...but so far we've only had one night of people being in the pool late...

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 21:16
OOps we are going a bit off topic here:D

chrizzy100
15-08-2007, 23:10
Food in the USA is expensive to those of us living here...and not to people here from places like the UK...apart from my mum...who moans about her shopping bills here all the time...

SDJ
16-08-2007, 04:20
Anorak

You certainly used to eat in all the best places - Ponderosa, Golden Corral[msnwink][msnwink]

I am pleased you are more affluent now and able to try other places occasionally.

Sandra

flyrr100
16-08-2007, 19:51
if you holiday to FL from within the USA you should find Orlando a cheaper place to shop than most places up North...my food bill is half the cost..eating out can cost more...we have more offers up here...which I've yet to find in Orlando...
[/quote]
I have to disagree. We moved here from Ohio (Dayton) and found our grocery bill was significantly higher. Ever fresh produce was more expensive, including Florida Citrus!
Florida is not a cheap place to live when you take into account insurance, food, utility bills.

chrizzy100
16-08-2007, 20:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
[/quote]
I have to disagree. We moved here from Ohio (Dayton) and found our grocery bill was significantly higher. Ever fresh produce was more expensive, including Florida Citrus!
Florida is not a cheap place to live when you take into account insurance, food, utility bills.
[/quote]

Thats why I said you should find and not you will find..and most and not all...

anorak
16-08-2007, 21:00
Citrus varies hugely with regard to the season - by June its got very scarce. We actually found the Big Orange, although it looks like a tourist trap, on 192 sometimes have good prices on quantity of citrus.

Even then we found it costs twice as much to squeeze your own juice as it does to buy the Grove squeezed fresh juice in the 64oz cartons at around $2.50 or so.

And the juice you squeeze yourself doesn't always taste as good as the commercial product either, most disappointing.
We tried all sorts of juicers, first the expensive electric ones and found them disappointing in the quantity of juice they produced, much was wasted in wet pulp, and a long awkard cleaning time.
If you want to squeeze your own - like if you have citrus trees in your yard - then we found the old fashioned manual lever shiny cast metal citrus press was the best, at around $20 to $40 depending where you buy them. We bought ours on Ebay as we couldn't find one in a Fl store. We probably just didn't go the right store.

As fara s eating out is concerned the tourist area in Orlando is cheaper than locally for us, more offers and I guess more competition.

Cruella DeVilla
16-08-2007, 21:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak

As fara s eating out is concerned the tourist area in Orlando is cheaper than locally for us, more offers and I guess more competition.
[/quote]

Where is home in Orlando Angela? I ask as I like to live like a local and find the neighbourhood restaurants normally good value too.

ukman
11-01-2012, 08:56
Would you say food prices have become reasonable now since 2007 or worse

No Shoes
11-01-2012, 10:16
Would you say food prices have become reasonable now since 2007 or worse

Definately more expensive, although there is more choice of where to buy.

We are spending longer periods at the coast (Bradenton) and shop at the farmers market etc where fresh produce is tastier and more reasonably priced.

Parrothead
24-01-2012, 12:06
I noticed a small increase, but we do have many choices were we stay! So lots of competition.
Eating out is still our favourite option :)

luckylady
24-01-2012, 14:42
I haven't a clue what bread, eggs, butter, cheese, fruit etc costs in Florida. I go buy what we need and that's it. We dine out a lot when in Florida which I still think is great value .
Grocery and fuel prices will always be a ongoing topic of conversation all over the world. I can remember as a child my mother complaining bread had increased in price in 1955 from 4p to 5p!!

Mr G
24-01-2012, 15:32
...... I can remember as a child my mother complaining bread had increased in price in 1955 from 4p to 5p!!

Crumbs

luckylady
24-01-2012, 21:09
I haven't a clue what bread, eggs, butter, cheese, fruit etc costs in Florida. I go buy what we need and that's it. We dine out a lot when in Florida which I still think is great value .
Grocery and fuel prices will always be a ongoing topic of conversation all over the world. I can remember as a child my mother complaining bread had increased in price in 1955 from 4p to 5p!!
Graham crumbs is what you get now for 5p or maybe not!!

MTP
24-01-2012, 23:47

I'm sorry, I may just have to moderate that post for being too off topic ... 1955 ... YIKES!!! Florida hadn't even been invented by then!![msnsmile2]

Mr G
25-01-2012, 06:27
Graham crumbs is what you get now for 5p or maybe not!!

Very true, what can you get for 5p anymore?

SDJ
25-01-2012, 07:34
Barbara you would be surprised as all the items you mention barring eggs, are much more expensive than UK now. That never used to be the case but prices have soared over the past couple of years.

Like you, we buy what we need and also eat out but it doesn't stop me looking at the prices.[msnwink]

CERICROWLEY
25-01-2012, 07:48
Graham in Wales. you can buy a carrier bag for 5p. and don't get me started on that on..

Clare R
25-01-2012, 12:16
...... I can remember as a child my mother complaining bread had increased in price in 1955 from 4p to 5p!!

Goodness me didn't know decimal coinage had started that early !!!! 4d to 5d maybe.

Robert5988
25-01-2012, 15:51

Goodness me didn't know decimal coinage had started that early !!!! 4d to 5d maybe.

Yes must have been £sd.

1955 The way we were
* A loaf of bread cost 2.5p (6d in old money). Today it costs £1.20.
* A pint of milk cost 2p (5d). Today it costs 45p.
* The average house price was £2,064. Today it is £168,176. Percentage of the population who were owner-occupiers was 53.7 per cent. In February 2008 it was 69.8 per cent.
* A gallon of petrol cost 22.5p (4s 6d). Today it costs nearly £5 a gallon.
* A pint of beer was 4p (9d). Today it costs £2.90.
* A cinema ticket was 9p (1s 9d). Today it costs £4.40.

Clare R
25-01-2012, 16:00
Ah ! How I remember the 1s 9d's

Dads_Taxi
25-01-2012, 20:41
Ah ! How I remember petrol being nearly £5 a gallon - it's nearly £6 now :(

Still half the price of bottled water at Costa though, so can't complain.

Dads_Taxi
25-01-2012, 20:49
I think our nearly £6 per UK Gallon equates to about $7.75 per US Gallon, if I've done my sums correctly.
I wonder how much a bottle of water is in a US Costa? !

Jill
25-01-2012, 21:00
Yesterday I noticed our local supermarket had loaves of sliced bread at £1.49 which I thought was a complete rip off.