PDA

View Full Version : not worth the visit

aldridgeclan
13-08-2007, 18:42
this was our first visit to gatorland and we were all very dissappointed. i personally thought that it was cruel to some of the larger animals, like the bear being enclosed in a small cage, the poor thing was just rocking backwards and forwards.
not recommended, not even for a 1/2 day visit.

[msnsad]

LiesaAnna
13-08-2007, 19:02
thanks for that, i would be upset to see a bear rocking in a small cage! i dont like seeing the tigers all drowsy just by the old town area where the 2 fast cars are........

mfairhurst
13-08-2007, 19:14
We have not been for a while and they had a large fire so do not know if it afected all the animal cages I also would not want to see the bears in a small cage .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Cruella DeVilla
13-08-2007, 19:20
They had a big fire last year so do not know what it is like now.

We first visited about 20 years ago and it was worth a visit then, not been back since though as it is one of those places you only need to go to once. They had a little bear there then I wonder if it is now the big bear?

ShirleyD
13-08-2007, 22:35
I visited Gatorland in February (we hadn't been for about 16 years) and we really enjoyed it, the wildlife was amazing http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_37231.asp

It was a really gentle way to spend an afternoon. I was also a bit concerned about the bear, but I seem to remember that the notice said he was a hand reared rescue bear and that they gave him various things to do to keep him amused

Robert5988
13-08-2007, 23:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[this was our first visit to gatorland and we were all very dissappointed. i personally thought that it was cruel to some of the larger animals, like the bear being enclosed in a small cage, the poor thing was just rocking backwards and forwards.
not recommended, not even for a 1/2 day visit.
/quote]

and we really enjoyed it, the wildlife was amazing

Wildlife?

Personally I fail to see what is so different to the polar bears in SeaWorld, or the manatees etc cooped up in a tiny pen(oh yes they are rescued manatees:)) Or performing whales.

A Zoo is a Zoo is a Zoo - an outdated concept!

DiannaUK
14-08-2007, 00:58
We have visited Gatorland many times and have always enjoyed our time there. They have a strong conservationist attitude and seem to me to take a very responsible and caring attitude.

I agree the bear looks very sad, but if you read the history of this particular bear you will soon see that it is far better off here than it was previously.

I agree it can't replicate the wild and of course some people will love it and others will hate it - it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

I always have and will continue to recommend it to others but people can visit the website beforehand and find out whether it's for them or not before they visit.

Dianna

ShirleyD
14-08-2007, 01:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:and we really enjoyed it, the wildlife was amazing [/quote]

Wildlife?

[/quote]

When we took the stroll round the lake, we saw so many different sorts of birds, butterflies, fish and insects. It must be a good place to go and see them as there were so many professional photographers there. Not the same as paddling through the everglades maybe [msneek]

Stuart Bairstow
14-08-2007, 02:58
We have never been to Gator Land but would you think it would be worth a visit later on in the year perhaps and not when it is so hot as we have it on our to do list?

Cruella DeVilla
14-08-2007, 03:01
That's a brave soul Shirley that paddles through the Everglades[msnoo]

becbecs
14-08-2007, 13:01
I think Gatorland does have things to offer but you can't make a day of it. We stayed 3 hours in total on our first visit which was plenty to look around and see all the shows. Will go back one last time as my youngest daughter wants to do some rookey wrestling.

Lets face it its hardly the same price as the other parks.

aldridgeclan
14-08-2007, 14:31
we have only just come home and the fire damage was at the front of gatorland. my son done the rookie wreasling and it only last for a second, you sit on top of a real gator and have your picture done.
yes i agree the wildlife is worth seeing but i would not recommend making a special trip there when there is so much more to do. the best way to see the gators in the wild is to do the boggy creek airboat ride which we found fantastic.

Paula D-S
14-08-2007, 15:05
We meant to go for half a day a couple of years back. We really enjoyed it and ended up staying longer than we expected. My kids loved the childrens waterplay area.

Redeye
06-09-2007, 21:23
It's worth it. The change from the frenetic nature of the other parks is almost restful, there is plenty of shade and only one shop! The biggest gators and crocs are fearsome - esp. at feeding time - and we've never found it that busy.