PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Convertible Rental

Katys Grandad
05-08-2007, 14:33
I'm a big fan of the car hire through the above link but I'm a bit confused about renting convertibles with Alamo and Dollar.

There is only 1 option for convertible on the drop down list on the US Car Hire site but Alamo and Dollar now differentiate between 'Intermediate & Standard' convertible (Dollar) and 'Convertible & Premium' convertible (Alamo).

In both cases the lower level car is a PT Cruiser which I definitely don't want. Is there a way of ensuring I get the higher level car?

chrizzy100
05-08-2007, 17:54
I agree with you about the PT Cruiser...never again...:(

roger
05-08-2007, 18:33
If you select Dollar, you should get a Sebring (or sometimes a Mustang)

If you select Alamo you will now usually get a PT Cruiser (or a VW Beetle)

If you select Budget you will usually get a Mustang.

None of the abover types are 100% guaranteed, but generally correct.

Katys Grandad
05-08-2007, 19:24
Thanks for that Roger. I'm not after any particular convertible as an alternative to the Cruiser and I accept that no model is guaranteed. I suppose what I'm really asking is if there is a way to just avoid it?

Both Alamo's & Dollar's websites now show their fleets as containing 2 distinct convertible options in different categories whereas I think that in the past they just showed 1 option with a reference to "or similar". In Alamo's case they show a Cruiser as their 'Convertible' and the Chrysler Crossfire as their 'Premium Convertible'. Dollar show the Cruiser as their 'Intermediate Convertible' and the Sebring (or similar) as their 'Standard Convertible'. Am I able to specify, say, the Standard Convertible with Dollar thereby avoiding the Cruiser? (It wouldn't matter if there was an additional charge).

caroline
05-08-2007, 20:36
We've just got back and boked a Dollar convertible. We were offered the Sebring or a PT cruiser - took the Sebring! It was the new style and was lovely, with the roof down the luggage space is VERY restricted however with the roof up the boot/trunk is much bigger than it used to be.

Katys Grandad
05-08-2007, 20:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
We've just got back and boked a Dollar convertible. We were offered the Sebring or a PT cruiser - took the Sebring! It was the new style and was lovely, with the roof down the luggage space is VERY restricted however with the roof up the boot/trunk is much bigger than it used to be.
[/quote]

The Sebring would be my first choice. I see the new one comes with either a hard top which folds away or the traditional ragtop. Which one did you have?

caroline
05-08-2007, 21:18
It had a soft top but instead of sitting on the back of the car, it folded away into the boot/trunk. The interior is also a lot better than in the old model.