PDA

View Full Version : Bag Snatch

lisi
30-09-2003, 18:25
Hi. Just back from a mostly great time at Crescent Lakes and thanks to all of you for your help. The villa was superb and we had a great time - wheelchair round Sea World & Universal and great weather. However, I don't want to put anyone off going but I did get assaulted outside Old Navy on I Drive and had my bag forcibly snatched and suffered injuries. Police were marvellous and on the scene in minutes, recovered my bag, arrested the two men and apart from losing 60 dollars it could have been a lot worse. I have had stitches in my hand and abrasions and bruises. My son was traumatised to see me lying bleeding on the side walk but I was OK until I got back to UK on Friday. Once inside my home then I broke down and have been suffering from post traumatic stress ever since. We were very careful and I must say never felt unsafe - because I walk with a stick I was vulnerable and must have been an easy target for the thugs. I would still go back tho as it is a great place.
Lisi

Beverley
30-09-2003, 18:40
Hi Lisi

How awful for you. Thats shocking, I'm not surprised that your very shaken by the ordeal.
At least the police acted swiftly and were able to make an arrest.

I hope you feel better soon. Did they suggest that you talk to someone about your experience?

Chris7
30-09-2003, 21:28
Unfortunately that can happen anywhere - hope you feel better soon. How cowardly to go for someone who walks with a stick. Best Wishes

chrizzy100
30-09-2003, 21:35
quote:Originally posted by Chris7

Unfortunately that can happen anywhere - hope you feel better soon. How cowardly to go for someone who walks with a stick. Best Wishes

I worked near an old folks home in the UK....and the old ladies were always getting their bags snatch.....anyone of any age is also a target if you walk with a stick......my friend is over 6ft and only 36 but kids still tried to get his bag because he uses a stick.....lucky he has no real need for it....he carries it out of habit now.....so they were in for a shock when he knocked one down...and ran after the other.....

Funshine
30-09-2003, 22:06
I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news Lisi - wishing you better very quickly. Try not to ponder on it - just think about all the nice things and the good times you had during your holiday, the horrible memories will fade.

esprit
30-09-2003, 22:55
I am sorry you had this awful experience and do accept my condolences but like someone said previously, it can happen anywhere, you were just unlucky that this happened to you in Florida. I was mugged and my bag snatched in Tesco's car park in East Didsbury Manchester a couple of years back. It was broad daylight, 2pm in the afternoon, not even at night. My son had a horrible experience earlier this year and was kidnapped off the streets of Manchester and his bank cards taken and accounts emptied. I now live in Florida. In eleven years of visiting here, I have never had a problem and it feels as safe as the UK, providing you take reasonable care ( which you have to everywhere now unfortunately, there are bad people all over.)

sarahjk
01-10-2003, 01:11
I agree it can happen anywhere and it is never easy to get over I would agree with Beverley and talk to someone about the experience they can help you work through all of it

Espirit I agree there are bad people everywhere and Manchester is no worse than anywhere else
can you tell I live there and not that far from the Tesco you mentioned the few ruin things for the many as the saying goes

Sarah

lisi
01-10-2003, 18:08
Thanks so much to you all for your replies and I totally agree. It didn't hit me at the time, only when I got indoors here. Am coming to terms and have talked to victim support. It hasn't put me off though because I know the incidents of this are RARE in Orlando - the police said so and the villa management said they had never had a problem and hadn't even thought to warn newcomers to Florida. We absolutely had a great time - Crescent Lakes was fab - the villa a dream - the weather superb and all the tips I received from this website really helped us to have a great time and would love to come back and bring daughter and granddaughter. Had my stitches out today and the bruises are fading a little so only time will heal.
Thanks to you all for your love and kindness

Lisi xx