PDA

View Full Version : Just Arrived Back

DMC
29-09-2003, 20:19
Dear All

Having just come back following our 10th visit in 6 years to Orlando, I thought I would post my 'Trip Report', whilst it is still fresh in the memory.

This time, rather than going direct to Orlando, we flew with Virgin to Las Vegas for 3 days. This was our first trip to LV and it was great fun, if a little more expensive than Orlando

But still we had a great time, which I won't go into now, as this forum is for Florida / Orlando not Las Vegas.

Anyway we arrived in Orlando mid week having caught the 'red eye' from Las Vegas to Orlando, via Atlanta. We flew with Delta and on the whole found them helpful.

The only issue we had was that we found out only when we were at LV Aiport, that Delta did in fact have a direct flight to Orlando, rather than via Atlanta, which left 45 mins before our own filght :( But this moan is more the fault of our travel agent, rather than Delta, as we did request a direct flight but were told that they didn't do one.

Also whilst we were offered free drinks etc, Delta did charge $5.00 per person for 'headsets', if you wanted to watch the in flight film, which seemed rather mean. :( But as it was an overnight filght, it wasn't much of a problem.

So having landed, we checked into our usual Hotel, the Rosen Plaza on International Drive ( opp The Pointe ) - I have to say that this was the best stay that we had had at the Rosen, there were very few childern around ( what with there being no school holiday's etc ) and we managed to get a good nights sleep almost every night.

On the whole the weather was good, only a couple of cloudy days and the odd thunderstorm but nothing that spoilt any of our plans - the temps were late 80' and early 90's on some days.

Anyway, we kept away from all the Theme Parks ( saving those for our return visit next year )- we spent the early mornings in the Hotel Gym, then is was time for Breakfast, followed by a few hours sun bathing by the pool with a good book. [8D]

In the early afternoon, it was off shopping and as usual the old credit card took a severe bashing ( with part of the bill waiting for me when I got home on Saturday :( ) How do they process these things so quickly !!!

The good only thing was that the exchnage rate they gave me was an excellant at $1.61 :)

As usual the Premium Outlet Mall took most of our money with Nike / Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger benefiting most, with a few other designer stores thrown in for good measure.

Bargain of the holiday, goes to my wife who managed to buy a pair of Ralph Lauren Leather Trousers, originally priced at $895.00 for $29.99 :D

Visits were also undertaken to Florida Mall / The Belz ( which has gone down hill over the last years or so ) and Mall of The Mellenia ( we had the biggest slice of cheesecake ever at the Cheese Cake Factory ):D( Heaven knows how many calories it contained!!!! )

For eating out, being creatures of habit, we spent every night eating at the Olive Garden on I'Drive - as usual the food was fisrt class and as reasonable as ever.

Since we spent alot of time in the Olive Garden, during our last holiday in May, several of the staff recognised us and by our 3rd visit, the Manager was on first name terms with us and nothing was too much trouble.

In fact on our last night, they refused to accept payment and gave us a full 3 course meal and drinks free :D:D:D- so Sonny, our regular waiter, got a big tip that night.

So a big thank you goes out to Clint / CJ / Anne and Sonny, from the I'Drive, Olive Garden, for all their help during our stay.

As with all good things, the holiday came to an end, we had a slight panic, as both the cases were as full as ever but they seemed alot heavier than normal - don't ask me how we did it but when the cases were weighed in at the Airport - both weighed in at spot on 32kg.

Thank goodness they did weigh the hand luggae, as we would have been in trouble !!!

We also noticed that they have made various changes at Orlando Airport, with the removal of the central Disney Shop

Gillian-B
29-09-2003, 22:04
Sounds like you had a great holiday DMC :D.

We did similar to you last month - Las Vegas then Delta to Florida. It made for a great two-centre holiday (both my favourite destinations in one go!). It also sounds like the Olive Garden on I Drive is worth a visit. We've only been to the one on US192 and that was great, but probably not quite the service you received - we'll have to go more often.

And, what shop did your wife get those leather trousers . . . . . . must do some shopping on our next trip ;)

Maureen Edwards
29-09-2003, 22:57
DMC, it sounds as if you had a great time. LV is a place we want to add next year to our trip to our villa in Orlando. Either beginning or end, not sure which. Could you tell me, how long is the flight from LV to Orlando Int(via Atlanta) and is it much shorter direct? and what is the cost? Did you book at the same time as your Gat to LV flight? So many questions, sorry to be so nosey;)

steph_goodrum
30-09-2003, 00:09
"Me, I have to wait until April 2004 for my next trip and already I am working out how many days there are until I am back out to the Sunshine State again. "

Just to put you out of your misery DMC we fly out on April 13th next year and the 180 day limit when we can book our seats is Oct 16th so you can probably work it from there.

Must admit Vegas and Anaheim were our favourite bits of the West Coast trip we did this summer (apart from the Grand Canyon that is).

fiona
30-09-2003, 02:20
Steph I know you have had the most awful summer but I do hope you are going to do a trip report for us all sometime. I for one would love to know how you got on, what bits you did and didn't enjoy, and what you would go back to!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-09-2003, 02:35
I'd agre Fiona - come on Steph - let's see a trip report, however brief :)

Gillian-B
30-09-2003, 03:58
quote:Originally posted by Maureen Edwards

DMC, it sounds as if you had a great time. LV is a place we want to add next year to our trip to our villa in Orlando. Either beginning or end, not sure which. Could you tell me, how long is the flight from LV to Orlando Int(via Atlanta) and is it much shorter direct? and what is the cost? Did you book at the same time as your Gat to LV flight? So many questions, sorry to be so nosey;)

When we've done this trip, we usually book independently with Delta (and as someone has said on another thread, if you can show you have transatlantic flights, you may avoid paying taxes on the internal flights). Although you can book through a travel agent, you sometimes have to pay the fare immediately or you may be subject to price increases as the cheaper seats on the internal flight are booked (it's worth checking this - we found out by experience :(). The flight times are about 4 hours LV to Atlanta and then another hour to Orlando - it went really quickly and I'm impressed by Delta. From memory, the direct flight isn't alot quicker although you don't have the extra hour spent rushing from one side of Atlanta airport to the other - it's huge!

If you get the chance to do LV/Orlando, I'd really recommend it. LV is an amazing destination to go to. As for which way round? LV to Orlando you catch up on some of the jetlag, but it's difficult to get up early for theme parks.

steph_goodrum
30-09-2003, 11:24
Fiona and John
I will get round to doing one, hopefully later this week, bu tdon't quote me on that.:)

DMC
30-09-2003, 13:33
Dear All

Thanks for all your positive feedback regarding my Trip Report.

In answer some of the questions, I think that we did the right thing by going to Vegas first, the flight time is only just over an hour longer than to Orlando, from the UK. ( Due to the different route that you take ).

Also because you are on the go the whole time in LV, so you can at least have a rest by the pool in Orlando for few days, before you hit the Theme Park's or the shops.

As mentioned the Internal Flight is about 3hrs 30 mins to Atlanta and 1hr from Atlanta to Orlando, if you can, I would take the direct flight as it saves hanging around in Atlanta, which as already mentioned is a very big place.

Delta did check our bags in right through to Orlando, although we had heard some stories that this doesn't always happen, so we did go to baggage reclaim just to double check, but our bags didn't appear at Atlanta and duly turned up in Orlando as planned.:)

We booked our Delta Flights at the same time as when we booked with Virgin and we did pay for them in full at the time of booking, so as to confirm the cost. Which from memory cost around £80.00 each, although these were booked a year or more ago.

LV is a great place to go, but I would say that you can cover The Strip in 3 days, maybe go for 4 if you want to the Hoover Dam or The Grand Canyon.

Also it is more expensive to eat out / shop in LV than it is in Orlando, must be the captive market.

Either way we had a great time and we will certainly go back.

DMC

sunshine state
30-09-2003, 15:34
I have to wait till April 11th for my next trip but its definately worth waiting for, glad you had a good time on your trip Las Vegas is a great place to visit. Nice trip report.

coombsyl
07-10-2003, 16:41
We did the Las Vegas/Orlando trip when our son got married. I agree that you should go to Vegas first. This also helps with the jetlag.
I wasn't keen to go to Vegas until my son booked his wedding there but I am so glad I did. I thought it was fantastic and can't wait to go back.