PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire Question Again

burtonl
18-07-2007, 17:56
I'm about to book my car hire again for our trip in September.

Being as we need the car for 16 days would it be better to book the Silver or Gold package for this period.

Any thoughts please?

Robert5988
18-07-2007, 19:04
Marginally - silver unless you need several drivers.

Nina A
18-07-2007, 19:12
We always go for Dollar gold, although there is usually only hubby that drives, I have had a go a few times and will on our next visit now I know the area better. Having a full tank of fuel also means we don't have to find a garage straight away and we can take it back empty, saves time on the return airport run!

Have a great trip

blott
18-07-2007, 19:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nina A
We always go for Dollar gold, although there is usually only hubby that drives, I have had a go a few times and will on our next visit now I know the area better. Having a full tank of fuel also means we don't have to find a garage straight away and we can take it back empty, saves time on the return airport run!

Have a great trip[/quote]You always get a tank full of fuel whether you book silver or gold. You also take the car back empty with both silver and gold.

The difference with gold is that the original tank of fuel is free as you pay for it in your rental rate and with silver you pay for the initial tank of fuel with your credit card direct to the car rental company. The petrol/gas charged by the car rental company is always dearer than you could fill up the tank for yourself.

The most I've been charged for a tank of fuel on silver is $109 (that was for a 7 seater - a smaller car will be cheaper, depending on its tank capacity) so you need to work that out, bearing in mind the current exchange rates, relating to the different in price for silver and gold. Unless you've got more than two drivers of course (with Dollar) when you should go for the gold option as more are included free.

Generally, taking extra drivers out of the equation, the longer you stay, the cheaper the silver option becomes.

thornton
19-07-2007, 01:13
Having done the sums,if you are going for two weeks or lessit is worth paying for the gold package as the minimum you are likely to be charged for a tank of fuel will be about $65.

roger
19-07-2007, 02:13
The only other thing to bear in mind is the Budget option, where on Silver you collect with a full tank and return full. This means you just pay the local regular rate for the fuel. The down side is you have to find a gas station fairly locally to the depot (probably within 20 miles to make sure the needle is still right at the top).

Lyn
28-07-2007, 01:39
We always prefer to take the car back with a full tank as this seems the most economical option, who can return a car empty? there is usually at least a quarter of a tank left, which you have paid for. Call me mean but I don't get my annual USA holiday by wasting money :)

lindajo
09-09-2007, 01:51
Hi there

We are about to book our car for November through this site - yet again - but have always taken the gold option for the "free fuel" and taken the car back empty but we only need one driver.

As we are going for 4 weeks, is it cheaper to take the Silver option. Also, can you take the car back full and not be charged for the fuel.

We always go with Dollar but could anyone tell me what car a 2 door intermediate or 2 door full size would be with Alamo as they seem to be cheaper. Is their service as good as Dollar

Thanks

Lindajo

ncmurray
09-09-2007, 05:01
From how I see it, if you only want one driver, the only calculation you need to make is how much a tank of fuel costs. Once you have decided which car you want, go online and find out its tank capacity. From there, you can make your decision. Usually, the car hire firms charge about $6-$7 a gallon, whereas the petrol stations currently charge about $2.90 (??) a gallon. Once you have compared the silver and gold packages, you will know which is the best choice for you.

I'm sure Roger or John will correct me if I am wrong, but with the silver package you pick the car up with a full tank and return it full or pay for the top-up at $7 a gallon, and with the gold package you pick it up full and return it empty.

I could be so wrong on that, but I'm sure I'll be corrected![msnsmile]

abbeyvillas
09-09-2007, 05:57
We picked up our car a few days ago from Dollar Orlando airport. We took the Silver package as there are only 2 of us driving. The charge for the full tank of petrol was $3.82 per gallon and we take it back empty.

Pam

AngelaB
30-09-2007, 14:19
So is the only difference between the Silver and Gold Options whether or not you return the car with a full tank of fuel? And nothing to do with the CDW etc etc. We are going for 3 weeks in January, and my Husband is the only one going to drive the car. Went last year and used Dollar and paid took out the Gold.

Would it be worth while just taking the Silver option??

Thanks

roger
30-09-2007, 16:24
The only difference between Silver and Gold is the drivers and fuel policy. Everything else (insurance, tax, surcharges etc) are included exactly the same with both options.

Alamo have 1 driver on Silver, and 4 on Gold.
Dollar and Budget have 2 drivers on Silver and unlimited on Gold

Dollar and Alamo on Silver, collect with full tank and return empty (and pay a full tank of fuel to them at an increased rate usually around $3.50 - $6.00 per gallon).

Budget on Silver, collect with a full tank and return full.

Dollar, Alamo and Budget on Gold, collect with a full tank and return as empty as possible and you dont have to pay them for the tank (as it is included in our rate).

Just to complicate things a bit more, usually with Dollar on the Silver option, they wil agree on collection of your car to allow you to return empty, and therefore not pay them for the tank at their high rate. If they agree this, make sure on return of your car you make a point of stating to the person who checks you in that the car is full. Also, keep a copy of your receipt for that last top-up of fuel before you drop off. Note, if you agree this on collection of the car, then drop off empty (because you didn't have time), then you will be charged the much higher rate of around $6+ per gallon for a full tank regardless of how much fuel you left in the tank.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB
So is the only difference between the Silver and Gold Options whether or not you return the car with a full tank of fuel? And nothing to do with the CDW etc etc. We are going for 3 weeks in January, and my Husband is the only one going to drive the car. Went last year and used Dollar and paid took out the Gold.

Thanks

[/quote]

blott
30-09-2007, 16:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB

Thanks[/quote]All the necessary insurance is included with all the rentals from the above website.

The differences between silver and gold relates to (with Dollar) the number of drivers and whether or not you pay for petrol/gas.

Work out the additional price of the gold option as compared with the silver option and then feature in paying for a tank of fuel with the silver option.

So the calculations would be:

Gold price minus silver price = total
Silver price plus cost of a tank of fuel = total

Which should give you your answer.

AngelaB
02-10-2007, 23:57
thanks for clearing that up [msnsmile]