PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the bet ( me or my son)

cannybiz
26-09-2003, 17:04
Should I say Hello, or Howdy,
Never thought the day would come when I was going on a nine hour flight to Florida, all these years I have put off going to Disney world, one because of the fear of flying and two, I am a smoker, can I go the distance I keep saying to myself,
My son of thirty one and still at home I hasten to add, travelled to Florida with his girl over a year ago, and came back, to tell me that I will never go to Spain again after the experience of Florida, We fly out on Dec 30th, away for new years eve, for three weeks, staying at the quality inn on international drive.
Can not explain how I am feeling at this moment,(fear, excitement, not sure,) Can any anyone tell me if my son of 31 is right, after a florida vacation, will I still pine for the Costas. Thank you Kathy

athurstance
26-09-2003, 17:20
Welcome Kathy,
I love Florida and would happily holiday there every year. We do go to other places though but there is something really special about Florida which keeps pulling you back.
You'll find lots of people on the forum who went for the one-off holiday to Florida years ago and just had to go back. We were like that - now we go every year.
Hope you have a great time.

chrisj
26-09-2003, 17:47
I have been to Florida quite a few times, and I still go to Spain. They are both different
types of holidays.

sunshine state
26-09-2003, 18:39
Yes i have also been to Spain and Florida like Chris said they are different types of holidays Spain is much more realxing and Florida you go for all the theme parks.

Harmony
26-09-2003, 19:17
We still go to other places but I have to admit they never seem to live up to Florida. We first went for a one off holiday of a life time, and loved it so much we now have our own villa and go at least twice a year. At first Florida can be tiring because there is SO MUCH to do and see. After a few visits you start realising you do not have to see and do everything at once. There's always another time.

Jeff

Maureen Edwards
26-09-2003, 19:49
Hi Cannybiz, First of all you are going to Florida at probably one of the most exciting times of year. You will experience all the atmosphere of Xmas as all the decorations and themed parades etc. will still be going on during your stay. Secondly New Years Eve, will be spectacular in Florida. Try and draw up a schedule of places you really want to visit. I guarantee, your list will be far longer than the amount of days you have for your holiday!!

Then prioritise in order the must see and must do and as Harmony says, leave the rest until next visit. Oh yes, there will be a next visit. Florida is very, very special. We are the same as many people on this Forum, visited for that special once in a lifetime holiday, fell in love with the place, bought a villa out there and the rest is history.

I still love seeing the rest of the world, including Spain, but it is a different sort of holiday.

One last tip, allow some rest days during your trip and 'quieter' days, you will appreciate the rest and be raring to go again the next day. Perhaps on your quiet days, take in Leu Gardens, Winter Park and maybe Shopping;)

bellaepovera
26-09-2003, 22:04
Hi Kathy, I also am a smoker and I have to say I do not have a problem the 9 hrs without one. AS a matter of fact when there was smoking allowed I never sat in the smoking section as there are some heavy change smokers and they do bother me. The flight goes by real fast now especially if you receive a plane with the tvs in the back of each seat. I do agree as once you see Florida you will never get it out of your system. Maybe next time you will think of renting a home from a private owner? Worth a try!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-09-2003, 22:49
Hi Kathy

For most of us Florida is magical. I have no doubt you will love your vacation.

A friend of mine for years only went short haul as she was a smoker. She decided for her 40th she wanted to visit Cuba. She booked the flights then visited a hypnotist x 2. Since then she has not smoked - she has now completed several 1/2 marathons and is training for a full marathon. In the last 2 years she has also travelled extensively visiting her brother in th US.

She looks 20 years younger now.

Sarah

PS I have a sneaky feeling that your son has backed a dead cert!!!

coombsyl
27-09-2003, 00:01
Hi Kathy

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. It is totally different from the Spanish costas which I will always love too. The parks are great, the shopping is wonderful and the food is terrific.

If you ever do return ;) you may consider a villa. Just look around and those on offer and believe me they are every bit as wonderful as they look (not beating my own drum as I don't own one - just a renter myself).

Kissyme
27-09-2003, 14:39
Dear Kathy, I know how you feel I am a smoker and a bad flyer but once you have been to Florida once you will think that that it is all worth it. Also as no one smokes on the plane you don`t get so tempted to light up I do think about having a puff now and again but you know you can`t so it soon goes out of your mind.I have always found the flights bearable and if you plan the time for example watch film go to loo walk round look out of window check sky map have a drink the time soon passes. Have a great time and enjoy

blott
27-09-2003, 15:02
If all else fails and you don't think you'll be able to last out without a cigarette on your flight, then try the nicotine patches or chewing gum, etc (just remember to ask your pharmacist first if they are suitable for you). Oh, and if you go for the patches, cut open one sachet before you leave home as you're not allowed to take scissors with you and they're impossible to open otherwise! Whatever you do, don't forget to remove the patch (or follow the gum directions) before you have a cigarette or you'll feel really ill and ruin the first part of your holiday.

You never know, you may find that you get on so well with the patches or gum, you don't ever fancy another cigarette again!

Have a great time in Florida!

melfrank
31-10-2003, 23:42
We had a break from Florida this year and went to Nerja in Spain.
It was OK but Florida is fantastic and I missed it. We are going to try to get to Florida every year if we can.

wrpac00
01-11-2003, 17:10
I have been to most of the spanish resorts and Greek resorts but Orlando and the US in general (have been to California & Vegas) to us is the best place to go. Of course it depends on what you want to do, we don't do the theme parks anymore, but the epople are so friendly and it is so cheap we find it the perfect place for a holiday, the flight is the worst bit but we are getting used to that as well. And of course they speak the same language, well its damn close.

Paul

sarahjk
02-11-2003, 15:57
Hiya Kathy

I think your son is on to a winner we went to Florida for the first time in 1999 and since then we have not gone anywhere else nowhere can compete, of course some people dont agree with us and go elsewhere still as well but we just dont see the point in paying for an inferior holiday when we can go to the best for only slightly more money

Sarah