PDA

View Full Version : green card sponser

bethany0818
11-07-2007, 00:57
hi does anyone know if we get a sponser off our relations in ohio could this lead to us getting a green card,would we be able to apply for a greencard if we were sponsered,they live in ohio would we be able to live in orlando.would we be able to work and for how long.
thanks for any help......

steph_goodrum
11-07-2007, 02:40
First question would have to be what relationship to decide if there was any chance I would imagine.

chrisflowers
11-07-2007, 10:53
LPR (Legal Permanent Residence) is a big problem, with a huge waiting list for visas leading to it. There are caps for H1B visas, which is the normal non-business route, and even myself who is exempt from the cap (as the sponsor is an academic institution), has to go through this slow route. We have to apply for LPR once we have arrived in the USA, with the promise of a long-term job.

Using relatives is a difficult issues, even for first degree relatives, but if they are citizens rather than resident aliens, their rights are greater.

Time to consult an immigration attorney!

bethany0818
11-07-2007, 11:29
they are american citizens.1 is 40 years old and born in the usa,100% american....

anorak
11-07-2007, 12:39
But is it a brother sister mother or father or what?
Cousins don't count as far as I know.

bethany0818
11-07-2007, 22:27
she is a cousin.i didn't think that was a problem as she is family and is happy to sponsor us..

esprit
12-07-2007, 03:25
Cousins are too far removed from you to sponsor you, sorry. Only spouses, children, parents and siblings, and siblings are far down the list and it can take years.

mollymolly
17-07-2007, 12:28
My brother is married to an American, has his green card and lives on Maui. Could I go down the route of sponsor for green card? Just wondering having read the above!

Bernadette

anorak
17-07-2007, 13:09
mollymolly, I think he would have to get citizenship first and even then it could take a few years to get the green card for you, worth trying though if you're not in a hurry.

esprit
18-07-2007, 00:11
Yes he needs to first take citizenship then he can file an 1-130 for you, they are currently processing applications received in Feb 2001 so 6 years from filing. However please be aware that in the proposed new immigration bill which did not raise enough support in Senate and has been thrown out, sponsorship of siblings was abolished, so you run the risk of the law being changed at any time during that six years, and whether the act states that once you have filed you are grandfathered in or not.