PDA

View Full Version : dollar or budget / minivan or SUV

Anthony Ross
09-07-2007, 23:26
I am not sure if people can help, but would value your opinions. Off to Florida in Oct 4 adults 2 teenagers and 2 four year olds.Booked 8 person mini van via dollar, however seen the deal offered by budget for SUV. Not sure whether to switch to SUV, main issue is ensuring we have enough luggage space. Aware only need full space going from and back to Sandford but want to be safe and comfortable. HELP please.[?]

mike_walsh
13-07-2007, 04:36
Hi,

I am just back from 2 weeks in Orlando. There were 7 in our party (5 adults, 2 kids) and lots of luggage. We booked the 8-seater SUV from Budget hoping we would get the larger model Expedition and lots of luggage space, although we still expected to be carrying bags on knees and using the spare seat for luggage on the airport runs.

When we checked-in, Budget initially gave us a Durango, which had 3 rows of seats but hardly any boot (trunk) space. However it was only a 7-seater and I insisted that I had booked and wanted an 8-seater. They relented and gave me a Chevvy Suburban. What a vehicle this was. It just gobbled up all the luggage (5 suitcases, 4 large bags, 1 set of golf clubs and a number of smaller items of hand baggage) without needing to store anything other than people in the 8 seater passenger compartment.

I expected that I would need to have a petrol tanker following me around, but it wasn't bad at all. I reckon I was getting about 16 mpg (American gallons). If you could guarantee that you would get one of these (and not a Durango!) than this would definitely be the way to go.

Roger, is there any way to specifically book a Suburban or equivalent size vehicle? I would certainly be prepared to pay more if I could be sure of getting one.

Regards
Mike

dcnurse
13-07-2007, 06:02
Mike, was this at MCO or Sanford. We arrive at Sanford in 5 weeks time and are hoping for the larger model as there are 6 adults and 2 teenagers in our party! Hope we are as lucky as you were[msnwink]

roger
13-07-2007, 08:23
I'm afradi you can not specifically book the Suburban. However, you were entirely right to stand your ground with the 8 seats. If you book an 8 seater, Budget are obliged to ensure you are allocated an 8 seater.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mike_walsh
Hi,

I am just back from 2 weeks in Orlando. There were 7 in our party (5 adults, 2 kids) and lots of luggage. We booked the 8-seater SUV from Budget hoping we would get the larger model Expedition and lots of luggage space, although we still expected to be carrying bags on knees and using the spare seat for luggage on the airport runs.

When we checked-in, Budget initially gave us a Durango, which had 3 rows of seats but hardly any boot (trunk) space. However it was only a 7-seater and I insisted that I had booked and wanted an 8-seater. They relented and gave me a Chevvy Suburban. What a vehicle this was. It just gobbled up all the luggage (5 suitcases, 4 large bags, 1 set of golf clubs and a number of smaller items of hand baggage) without needing to store anything other than people in the 8 seater passenger compartment.

I expected that I would need to have a petrol tanker following me around, but it wasn't bad at all. I reckon I was getting about 16 mpg (American gallons). If you could guarantee that you would get one of these (and not a Durango!) than this would definitely be the way to go.

Roger, is there any way to specifically book a Suburban or equivalent size vehicle? I would certainly be prepared to pay more if I could be sure of getting one.

Regards
Mike
[/quote]

mike_walsh
13-07-2007, 18:31
It was MCO. Of course the down side to this was that it gave my wife license to do even more shopping!

Anthony Ross
14-07-2007, 18:27
Do Dollar have an equivalent model to the to what appears to be a very spacious vehicle in the Chevvy Suburban?

roger
14-07-2007, 19:29
I'm not sure exactly how it compares, but Dollar do have Dodge Durango's which come in a 7 (and sometimes 8) seat format. However, please see http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/faq-vehicles.aspx#60 for more details.

From the post above though, it looks like the Durango doesn't have as much tunk space as the Suburban.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Anthony Ross
Do Dollar have an equivalent model to the to what appears to be a very spacious vehicle in the Chevvy Suburban?
[/quote]