PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Florida

Sueb
24-06-2007, 23:54
Hi,
I just wondered if anyone had any good stories about moving from Britain to Florida, and how they had made it work for them?

Its something my family and I would like to do, but everywhere we turn or look there just seems to be bad stories.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

andrewmckay5
25-06-2007, 00:03
Hi Sue,

Can't give you any specific information but I would say in all walks of life you will always hear the bad news rather than the good news that makes up the majority of peoples lives( usually on a TV program with Trevor Macdonald or on GMTV[msnsmile2])

andrew

florida4sun
25-06-2007, 00:07
We moved ahd a a wondeful time but we had to move back as we had problems with health insurance. If you are considering moving the following advice is good:

Whatever budget you dome up with double it.
If purchasing a business do not uinder any circumstances a hand over any money (not even a deposit) until your visa is granted.
Do strict due dilligence.
If yo have anyone with health issues, forget it, insurance is very expensive and pre existing conditions are near impossible to cover.
To have a reasonable standard of living and enjoy yourself, look for an income of no less than $100,000 (assuming yo are mortgaging out there). If yo have kids going to college, take furtehr advice it is not cheap.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sueb
Hi,
I just wondered if anyone had any good stories about moving from Britain to Florida, and how they had made it work for them?

Its something my family and I would like to do, but everywhere we turn or look there just seems to be bad stories.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance.

Sue
[/quote]

chrizzy100
25-06-2007, 00:53
We live on way under $100.000 and I think I have an above avenge standard of living for the USA....

We've had our ups and down...but for the most part we would never have had the life we have now in the UK...

roger
25-06-2007, 00:55
I've only been here 6 weeks so hard to give a long term view. So far we are very happy but we did a lot of research before we came.

What I have found is that if you look at forums on the subject you tend to only hear the problems as that is often the reason those people are on the forum. What you must remember is that for every person with a problem there are probably many more people with no major problems.

I have met a lot of people (before coming over to live and lots since arriving). Nearly everyone I know here on visas are more than happy and would not go back unless their visa renewals are not approved.

A lot of it depends on the visa situation rather than general problems living here. We steered well clear of an visa type that meant investing any money (e.g. the E2 visa) as we tend to be of the opinion that most of the businesses up for sale are not as good as they first appear! A business owner here selling a geniune good company would usually rather sell to someone already here in a position to buy quickly rather than to someone buying to get a visa, where there can be many months lead time.

We were fortunate to get over here on an L1 initally since we have the UK based company that is continuing to run while I am over here. If you have a business in the UK that can function after you move to the USA then I'm sure this is best route. It is currently also easier to get a Green Card from an L1 visa compared to some other visas.

As many people have said before though, the cost of living here is higher than most people think, but if you have the money then I'm sure the way of life is better.

florida4sun
25-06-2007, 02:20
I was reffering to people moving over there now, you have been there for years and well settled. A mortgage and taxes on a half decent 4/5 bed home in Florida will be around $30 k a year. Dont forget new folks dont get the good mortgage rates as they have no credit.
Roger gives good advice, generally you will only here the bad stories as the contented and succsesful ones will not be just that. It is great place to run a business and if you work hard you will earn money. You really need your wits about you and not have to rely on others for help. If I could I would be back in flash, we have even talked about me going over on my own, but this is not really an option. I know one thing for sure, although it went wrong for us, we have no regrets other than having to leave fairly quickly and thus letting a few folks down in the process (beyond our control). Given time, there was so much more we could have done. We know a few who had to move back but this was always due to them messing up visa applications or trying to make it work while waiting for a visa. We know many more who are well settled and very content.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
We live on way under $100.000 and I think I have an above avenge standard of living for the USA....

We've had our ups and down...but for the most part we would never have had the life we have now in the UK...

[/quote]

chrizzy100
25-06-2007, 02:43
Well not really I have two homes and up until a few weeks ago two home loans...I use one house to pay off the other and then look around for a new house...so I always carry the same amount of loan as most people would if the just moved over..I have not only FL taxes and Ins but also MA ones as well...the only thing I may get cheaper being here so long is car Ins...and I get a rebate for good credit for home Ins in FL...

florida4sun
25-06-2007, 03:19
Ok I give up my experience was different yours. I still recommend a gross income of $100k if buying buy decent property and wanting enjoy yourself (3 or 4 decent vacations per year mooching around teh USA, nice cars etc etc). There is no point doing it without.

Well not really I have two homes and up until a few weeks ago two home loans...I use one house to pay off the other and then look around for a new house...so I always carry the same amount of loan as most people would if the just moved over..I have not only FL taxes and Ins but also MA ones as well...the only thing I may get cheaper being here so long is car Ins...and I get a rebate for good credit for home Ins in FL...
[/quote]

chrizzy100
25-06-2007, 03:28
One bit of advice I would give anyone coming here on a visa where their kids can't work is start a college fund in the UK even if the thought of moving over is a long way in the future..you'll need the money for the kids in the UK anyway..plan in the amount you'll need for school fees before buying a big new house or SUV....if your kids can work let them work for their own college fee's...[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Robert5988
25-06-2007, 14:01
I don't think many people aspiring to move to Florida appreciate the huge, and continuing, cost of adequate medical insurance.

Without adequate insurance, medical costs can financially cripple families.

anorak
25-06-2007, 14:19
My sister-in-law works a 21 hour a week job for very low pay just so she gets medical insurance for the family, not all jobs include it though, and of course not everyone can get an employed position.

esprit
25-06-2007, 16:57
I was there for going on four years and really enjoyed it. My teenage son also really took to the lifestyle, in general kids love it there and do well in their system. I had to leave due to legal technicalities with my visa but would like to go back but now have to apply from scratch. I know many people who are happy over there and do well and others who are not, reasons for unhappiness are missing family, becoming landlocked due to the huge delays and problems with visa issue in London and not being able to visit family and friends, business not panning out as thought and visa problems, visa problems, visa problems particularly with renewals. To be frank you have to run a business to renew a visa not to make a profit and that galls, especially when it doesnt work and you dont get renewed for some reason and you realise how much money you spent on offices you dont need and didnt want and staff you dont need and didnt want!! With a green card, I would have been as happy as Larry. But if you are going the E2 route, you have to realise that you may be there for the short term not the long term and enjoy it while you can and if it doesnt work out treat it as an experience. That is easier done without kids, with kids you are putting them into US education and teaching them to enjoy a lifestyle which you may not be able to sustain for them.

The cost of living certainly isnt cheap but the low income tax does level it out a little. I would say on $100,000 a year you could live very well, the embassy like to see $70,000 and you can live on that OK. The difficult bit is finding a business which is not only kosher but also that you will enjoy and will also carry you through a visa and renewals, now that isnt easy. If you have a job they need and can find sponsorship from an employer over there that is by far the best way to get in.

There are a lot of horrors stories on the forums. There are bad people about who will take all your money off you if you let them and people have lost their shirts and their life savings trying to buy into the dream. Do your research, avoid "schemes", use an immigration attorney who you have a number of references for, get two accountants to look at any business, dont use any professional who is associated with the broker for the business or the seller and only put any money into escrow with a respectable attorney and with all paperwork regarding refund if the visa isnt issued in place. And dont buy any business just because it is in Florida, if you wouldnt want to run it or it wouldnt be making enough money for the investment if it were in Skegness, then just because it is in Orlando doesnt make it any more feasable.

chrizzy100
25-06-2007, 17:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
I don't think many people aspiring to move to Florida appreciate the huge, and continuing, cost of adequate medical insurance.

Without adequate insurance, medical costs can financially cripple families.
[/quote]

Move to MA...everyone here has to have Healthcare this year...you can walk into any hospital and they have to see you and they can't make you pay up if you have no money....if you can't afford healthcare they fine you $1700 when you do your taxes..cheap as chips if you think about it...

florida4sun
25-06-2007, 18:01
How does this help those moving to Florida?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Move to MA...everyone here has to have Healthcare this year...you can walk into any hospital and they have to see you and they can't make you pay up if you have no money....if you can't afford healthcare they fine you $1700 when you do your taxes..cheap as chips if you think about it...
[/quote]

chrizzy100
25-06-2007, 18:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
Ok I give up my experience was different yours. I still recommend a gross income of $100k if buying buy decent property and wanting enjoy yourself (3 or 4 decent vacations per year mooching around teh USA, nice cars etc etc). There is no point doing it without.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well I have all those things...and like I say well under $100.000 a year..[msnsmile2]

I don't think we should give the idea that you'll end up living in a slum if you don't bring in a high wage...in FL that is untrue...the cost of living there is higher then a few years ago...and I'm one of the first to tell people to make sure they have min of $60k a year...so you can take those holidays and buy those cars ...if that kind of thing is important to you...to many it may not be top of their list...a lower wage than $100k can give you a fair to good standard of living ...I know it does to the many people I know living in FL right now...a lot being Brits new to the area...

I am taking it for granted that people are not stupid enough to make such a big move on a shoe string...which we kinda did...and I don't rec it much...but in 7 years we've done more than good...even if it did come with a lot of knocks...

chrizzy100
25-06-2007, 18:46
How does this help those moving to Florida?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Move to MA...everyone here has to have Healthcare this year...you can walk into any hospital and they have to see you and they can't make you pay up if you have no money....if you can't afford healthcare they fine you $1700 when you do your taxes..cheap as chips if you think about it...
[/quote]
[/quote]

It was not said to help people move to FL..it was in answer to something Robert said...

caroline
25-06-2007, 19:48
Ok I give up [/quote]

LOL[msnsmile2]

I have no experience of living in Florida but just the mortgage, taxes, utilities etc on a 4 bed property + knowing how much it costs to buy groceries and eat out makes me think it's unlikely that I'd want to have an income of less than you're suggesting Martin - maybe it's different for people without kids or those that don't want to enjoy the finer things in life[msnwink] - maybe you should cut back on those lovely Sosa cigars and the vintage champagne[msnwink]

chrizzy100
25-06-2007, 20:18
But Caroline...I also own a 4 bed in FL...and one in MA...I eat out...go on about 5 holidays a year..own 2 cars..I have double every bill that most people have because I own 2 homes...we still have 2 kids at home plus a grandchild...and I even find money left over to buy groceries...and we do have an income less then $100k..by more than the odd few thousand..and I live full time in one of the more expensive place in the USA...maybe Sosa cigars and vintage champagne are well over priced..and you need that extra income to support the habit..[msnwink][msnwink]

The more money the better...but you can live on less and not in a double wide and living on coupons...[msncool]

chrizzy100
25-06-2007, 21:11
Getting back to Sue's question...there are a lot of bad stories out there..but many good ones...they just don't get to the forums...which mostly draw people with problems....people are happy in the USA for the most part..even on starvation wages..[msnsmile2]

If people had no worries about renewing their visa's...I think many more people would be very very happy here...

If your family really wants some helpful advice about moving I could IM you some sites about moving to the USA ...full of people who have moved here on all incomes and visa's...you can get a lot of good up to date info...

Its not good to be short of money in the USA...but don't be put off by the figures given...
If you are coming over on a visa like the E2 you could have extra expence...like trips back to the UK to renew...
whatever amount of money you think you'll need to move over double it...if you don't get that right you will need a bigger income...
Remember you'll have not credit rating so deposits are needed for a lot of things...

DON'T do this big move on a shoe string...I can't say this enough...
And DON'T let others put you off..just remember sometime you'll get told things you don't want to hear..don't take it to heart...in the end only you know what you and your family can do...

caroline
26-06-2007, 01:18
But Caroline...I also own a 4 bed in FL...and one in MA...I eat out...go on about 5 holidays a year..own 2 cars..I have double every bill that most people have because I own 2 homes...we still have 2 kids at home plus a grandchild...and I even find money left over to buy groceries...and we do have an income less then $100k..by more than the odd few thousand..and I live full time in one of the more expensive place in the USA...maybe Sosa cigars and vintage champagne are well over priced..and you need that extra income to support the habit..[msnwink][msnwink]

The more money the better...but you can live on less and not in a double wide and living on coupons...[msncool]
[/quote]

Well I take my hat off to you Chrizzy, I know for a fact my budgeting skills wouldn't allow me to do all the things you do on such a small amount - maybe you've got a money tree at the bottom of your garden[msnwink]

flyrr100
29-06-2007, 22:35
I have to agree with Martin. To have a good quality of life here, assuming you have a mortgage, $100k is the minimum you'll need as an income. Health care, Insurance, taxes will all eat away at your stash. Two cars, with insurance, will take a large lump.
I earn $120k and my Amy makes around $50k. We save around $1000 a month for retirement. (Remember, no state pension here). Three kids means three college funds. (Want a scare, look into college fees in Florida) And still end up with little disposal income.
Chrizzy is correct though about looking further afield than Florida. The Carolinas are lovely. Even Texas has some cool seaside towns. And of course there's 'Out West!' Look into Northern California. Or even Oregon or Washington State.

Osceola
30-06-2007, 00:02
Oh, please do give this a great deal of thought. Life in the US is no where near the "holiday experience". Just some things to think about:

1. The US is a crazy work environment. Americans live to work. It is simply not a healthy approach to life. One US attorney I know has not had a vacation since 2005. Taking more than a week off at a time is frowned upon. It is not surprising that tens of millions of Americans are on various medications for anxiety/stress/depression.

2. In many parts of the US and in Florida there is little sense of community.

3. There are huge cultural issues that are not apparent on the surface and may actually be masked by common language. For example, you may be stunned by the extent to which religion and faith permeate life in the US. The country is far more conservative than appears from a holiday.

4. Despite the work ethic, finding good employees in Florida is a fool's errand. They may also resent the "rich Brits".

5. Health insurance issue is obscene. A simple broken leg and trip to hospital could set you back tens of thousands of dollars.

And many more.....Please give it the closest consideration.

anorak
30-06-2007, 11:57
Osceola, I agree with you, what you have posted tallies with my experience.
If you don't belong to a Church then you won't get on socially or meet people.
Most American workers work many more hours than we do in UK and often have a long drive as well, and think its normal but they get very tired. On their odd day off they just recover from the week.
I have found many Americans (with notable exceptions, as some are totally brilliant) are pretty dumb and most don't even have a passport and have never travelled like Brits do all over the world. They are remarkably uninformed about anything outside the US.How much foreign news do you ever see on regular US TV compared to the amount of foreign news on British TV?
Big business is often very efficient in the US, small businesses are often old fashioned and inefficient but they don't realise it.
Yes I think many Americans do resent Brits who appear to be well off. They always mention that it must be cheap for us here as we get 2 dollars to a pound. Bit of a simplistic attitude. This ignores the fact that previously and during WW2 there were 4 dollars to the pound for example.

I dread getting ill in the US for the reason you mention, its a nightmare.

Being a tourist is one thing, being resident is quite another.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-06-2007, 12:07
Let's not go there please... generalisations like this are not nice and will be offensive to many of our readers [msnsad]. Apart from which it's totally untrue.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak
Most Americans (with notable exceptions) are pretty dumb[/quote]

anorak
30-06-2007, 12:58
I have edited my post a bit, but have to stand by it, its my experience and opinion. I won't say any more though as I don't want to offend anyone further, regardless of free speech.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-06-2007, 13:10
Many thanks - as I'm sure you are aware there is a very fine line between free speech and offending a lot of people. The forums are here to build a community and provide a valuable resource and as such we will not allow comments that offend people as it goes against everything we are trying to achieve with the forums.

I have edited my post a bit, but have to stand by it, its my experience and opinion. I won't say any more though as I don't want to offend anyone further, regardless of free speech.
[/quote]

esprit
30-06-2007, 17:48
Everone who emigrates anywhere has to be aware that there are good and bad in all places. A lot of what Osceola says is true. Yes the Americans do work hard and if you move there you will need to too but i dont see anything wrong with having a work ethic.

As to little sense of community, I would agree it can be hard to make real friends with Americans though we did have some good acquaintances and my son, starting at a younger age, is well integrated and only has American friends. There is however a very good expat network you can tap into in certain parts of America which acts as a safety net.

Cultutal issues, yes those too, yet we ourselves represent a different culture. The church is stronger than in the UK, I wont disagree there.

Health issues, yes everyone knows about them. You have to factor in the cost of insurance.

But there are other things too. The ability to buy a nice house at a price you can afford, low income taxes compared to the UK, and the ability to earn a really good living if you are willing to work hard and keep a good proportion of it and not hand it over to the tax man. Good service is another plus. And a vaste country to explore, I will agree with Flyrr, the Carolinas are wonderful. Some say the Americans dont travel abroad because they dont need to.

flyrr100
30-06-2007, 21:27
Osceola, you are correct about there being little or no community in American neighborhoods. Most folks here rely on the church, or to a smaller extent, school activities to meet people. Most of my friends are through work, or through soccer coaching that I do. But to say Americans live to work is not really fair. Americans are rewarded for the work they do. The vast majority are hourly paid. So the more they work, the more they earn. I'm an airline pilot and am paid by the hour.

Religion plays a huge part in our society. From what's written on the penny, to the traffic cops that have to direct traffic when church is done. Most americans belong to a church of some kind.

As to finding employees here in Florida. There is a strong work ethic here. But Florida is a whats called a transient society. People move in, stay for a year or two, and move on. And the 'rich Brit' comment is ridiculous. The boss is always seen as rich. Be him/her a Brit or not.

Anorak, I showed your post to my wife. Born in Montana, raised in Ohio, now in Florida. She has a normal US education. Graduated with a four year college degree. She said "for us to travel to Paris, or London, isn't like getting in a car and being there in four hours. And we have a vast country of our own to explore." My take is that America is an isolationist society. Just look at our history, (I say our because I became a US citizen in 1994). The majority of Americans would like to close the borders, and withdraw all US troops and other interests back to home. Unfortunately Mr Bush is still in power!
British news, I agree, tells more international news than ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX......... but remember that Britain is part of Europe. And has interests all over the globe. What happens directly effects Britain more than America.

I see many Brits in Florida and don't see how they can appear 'well off'. They look the same as most Americans. (except for the plastic bags and soccer shirts!) If a person owns a business, his/her employees naturally see him as well off. Be him a Brit or an American.

American life is different. Some say it's better, some say it's worse. Thinking that after a vacation in Florida you are ready to enter the American Dream is misguided. I truly hope our immigration laws are changed so Brits can get here without having to invest every cent of their savings on a crazy business. But I also hope anyone looking to relocate here looks at the big picture. Remember, living here doesnt mean you'll be at Disney every day. So look out there. Florida is really what I call a Third World State. After living in Ohio, and even Texas, I wonder how Florida survives!

But we do have the Fox Soccer Channel!

florida4sun
30-06-2007, 23:59
Very different from our experience, we wre not church going but made many friends in our community. We always had people round, every other day day various home made food parcels were delivered and we are made very welcome. The americans are fascinated by us brits and gievn half a chance will show a great interest in you. You just have to be approachable. We lived in short term rental area which are by there nature very transient locations, yet still we had many nieghbours whom we would spend time with. If I remember correctly we had 9 different nationalities in our street alone, its was great. To say 'If you don't belong to a Church then you won't get on socially or meet people' is simply not true. We avoided the expat brigade as best we could.....
Americans do like to work and they do like to play too, I never met an american who did not have quality time.
As for the resentment comment, I saw no evidence of this at, we often had a Bentley and top end Mustang park outside the home and this just created interest and chat.
If you realy feel this way, it must not be much fun for you if you live there, that is a shame.

Osceola, I agree with you, what you have posted tallies with my experience.
If you don't belong to a Church then you won't get on socially or meet people.
Most American workers work many more hours than we do in UK and often have a long drive as well, and think its normal but they get very tired. On their odd day off they just recover from the week.
I have found many Americans (with notable exceptions, as some are totally brilliant) are pretty dumb and most don't even have a passport and have never travelled like Brits do all over the world. They are remarkably uninformed about anything outside the US.How much foreign news do you ever see on regular US TV compared to the amount of foreign news on British TV?
Big business is often very efficient in the US, small businesses are often old fashioned and inefficient but they don't realise it.
Yes I think many Americans do resent Brits who appear to be well off. They always mention that it must be cheap for us here as we get 2 dollars to a pound. Bit of a simplistic attitude. This ignores the fact that previously and during WW2 there were 4 dollars to the pound for example.

I dread getting ill in the US for the reason you mention, its a nightmare.

Being a tourist is one thing, being resident is quite another.
[/quote]

Robert5988
01-07-2007, 00:07
I do think it is somewhat ironic – not to say insulting - to portray the British as world travelled sophisticates when measured against their ‘dumb’ American cousins - on a website devoted to people who visit Orlando primarily for the cultural delights of Disney.

I have to say I cringe at the dress and antics of a lot of Brits – particularly on the aircraft to and from Orlando – Little Britain clones or ‘wotever’ come to mind.

chrizzy100
01-07-2007, 00:19
I agree Robert...getting drunk and sunburned in Spain does not a world traveler make...

Every day I see people who go against good advice and come to the USA to live when they have not done enough planning ..have enough money to bring over ...or look into the terms of their visa..they just have to live the dream today....they then find it harder than they thought...and then they blame the country or the American people for what is really their mistake...

I have to agree with the posts made by Martin Julie and Jeff or Amy...all very good posts..

flyrr100
01-07-2007, 03:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
I do think it is somewhat ironic – not to say insulting - to portray the British as world travelled sophisticates when measured against their ‘dumb’ American cousins - on a website devoted to people who visit Orlando primarily for the cultural delights of Disney.

I have to say I cringe at the dress and antics of a lot of Brits – particularly on the aircraft to and from Orlando – Little Britain clones or ‘wotever’ come to mind.

[/quote]

Robert... You are right, to an extent. The vast majority of Brits who visit Central Florida do so to experience Disney, Universal, NASA, and whatever else we offer for that 'quick fix' of excitement. But we do get that small minority of Brits that just make me cringe, remembering why I left! I've seen fist figthts at Magic Kingdom between guys wearing conflicting soccer shirts! I've seen a family complain, to the extent of using four letter words, because the Christmas dinner they had at EPCOT wasn't like 'mum's at home'.

If anyone wants to relocate here, look long and hard into what you really want. If it's that 'quick fix' then think again. Living here is, like they say about being a US Citizen, it's not easy. You have to really want it.

But we do have the Fox Soccer Channel!

esprit
01-07-2007, 14:58
It is also easy for Brits living in the US to run it down, while I appreciate it isnt all milk and roses and the need to highlight potential problems for incomers and yes there are some, I never realised how much I enjoyed living there or the very real advantages it can offer to you until I had to leave and went to live elsewhere. I think Martin would be in agreement.

mfairhurst
01-07-2007, 15:50
JULIE .
You make AMERICA or FLORIDA seem even better with your last comment .
[I never realised how much i enjoyed living there ]It makes it all worth while keep pushing to let the BRITS in someday [msnsmile2].
We live in hope
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

florida4sun
01-07-2007, 18:07
Totally agree, although I think I could managing slumming in in Portugal[msnwink]. Once you live in the sun you do miss it.
The main problem is that becuase we speak the same langauge many brits expect it to be the same as the UK. It is is totally different country and why should we expect it not to be different. It is no different to moving to France, Spain or Italy (from basic experience they can very frustrating places to get yourself set up).
How many times have do you hear 'cant wait to get back home for decent cup of tea' or 'cant buy decent bacon' the brits like to travel but they like to take their home with them.
What was the first thing we did when we arrived - put a fence around the garden. This was totally alien to our neighbours, they simply could not see the point.
You aint lived till you have tried 'local' turtle soup or aligator tail freshly jerked on your neighbours BBQ....[msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
It is also easy for Brits living in the US to run it down, while I appreciate it isnt all milk and roses and the need to highlight potential problems for incomers and yes there are some, I never realised how much I enjoyed living there or the very real advantages it can offer to you until I had to leave and went to live elsewhere. I think Martin would be in agreement.
[/quote]

esprit
01-07-2007, 19:24
Portugal is beautiful but a bit of a backwater, Martin, it is a lovely place for a couple of weeks holiday but the infrastructure you need to live permanently, run a business etc just isnt there and the language is really difficult which adds to this. It is also quite cold in winter and the homes, mainly concrete built, are chilly and damp, and boiling in summer and most buildings aint air conditioned. Also it has a very short holiday season. most everything was shut till April and will shut again at the end of Sept. While it aint exactly slumming, it is quite different as an environment to Florida. Mind you we get English TV!!

If you did fancy it however, and yes we do get the sun, I am sure there would be opportunities here for a good Brit electrician, there are loads of Brits building and converting homes as well as maintenance work and there is a sort of primitive NHS once you have residence, we pay just 3 euros 50 cents to see a doctor and all prescriptions are at 80 percent discount so quite cheap, the biggest cost for brit expats is schooling as if you want your kids educated in English you have to pay for international school.

florida4sun
01-07-2007, 19:48
We have friends in Spain who say similar things. We are quite happy in teh uk but miss the sun and it so much arder to keep your money in your pocket here. We will buy in either France or Italy, I have a broiehr who wants to goi shares on a big run down place which we are more than capable of renovating. We want something to use as a vacation spot for now and later we will split it up so we can spend more time there. We have just missed a dream of place in france 6000 square feet, 11 acres and lovely location for £78000. Needs loads of work but that is what we are looking for. Sorry going off topic now.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Portugal is beautiful but a bit of a backwater, Martin, it is a lovely place for a couple of weeks holiday but the infrastructure you need to live permanently, run a business etc just isnt there and the language is really difficult which adds to this. It is also quite cold in winter and the homes, mainly concrete built, are chilly and damp, and boiling in summer and most buildings aint air conditioned. Also it has a very short holiday season. most everything was shut till April and will shut again at the end of Sept. While it aint exactly slumming, it is quite different as an environment to Florida. Mind you we get English TV!!

If you did fancy it however, and yes we do get the sun, I am sure there would be opportunities here for a good Brit electrician, there are loads of Brits building and converting homes as well as maintenance work and there is a sort of primitive NHS once you have residence, we pay just 3 euros 50 cents to see a doctor and all prescriptions are at 80 percent discount so quite cheap, the biggest cost for brit expats is schooling as if you want your kids educated in English you have to pay for international school.
[/quote]

esprit
01-07-2007, 19:52
Both of us are! Spain has a great health service and i know that is important for you but lots of problems with building work which we dont have in Portugal so best stick with France perhaps and good luck with that. Now back to the topic....

Osceola
10-07-2007, 02:22
Jeff, my comment about the attitude toward "rich Brits" is based on comments I have actually heard. Most Americans are barely able to afford their own home - not considering a holiday villa across the Atlantic. These views were also conveyed to me by an English couple, now in New Jersey, who owned a florist shop in Orlando and encountered all sorts of problems from their resentful American employees. But I agree that we should hope they are not widely held by the locals. However, I think genuine caution needs to be given to anyone thinking of just popping across the pond for a bit of business "in the sun".

chrizzy100
10-07-2007, 03:19
Can't say I've found any resentful American's.. I live in an area where its common for people to have more than one or two homes...I would say I know more people in the USA in my 8 years here who have a few homes... then back in the UK...

flyrr100
14-07-2007, 17:13
I could easily afford a second home, but I choose not to. And I think thats the case with most Americans. I dont want to be stuck with a house on the beach in Florida when I have the whole USA to go explore. And with hotel rooms across the USA avaraging at around $45 a night!
I'm sorry for your friends with their florist shop. They had bad luck. I still stand by my post. Americans, on the whole, have a great work ethic. Also most arent stuck to that 9-5 thing. They have no problems working at 6am, or going home at 10pm.

Oh, did I mention we have the Fox Soccer Channel?

steph_goodrum
14-07-2007, 17:31
"I still stand by my post. Americans, on the whole, have a great work ethic. Also most arent stuck to that 9-5 thing. They have no problems working at 6am, or going home at 10pm.

From what I've heard from Americans it's not from choice or any "work ethic" but fear and intimidation that they will be fired at a moments notice if they are considered to be underperforming, that in my book doesnt make for a good work ethic, it makes for a stressful life with homelife often coming a poor second or third if their job involves a lot of social networking out of hours.

chrizzy100
14-07-2007, 18:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
I could easily afford a second home, but I choose not to. And I think thats the case with most Americans. I dont want to be stuck with a house on the beach in Florida when I have the whole USA to go explore. And with hotel rooms across the USA avaraging at around $45 a night!
I'm sorry for your friends with their florist shop. They had bad luck. I still stand by my post. Americans, on the whole, have a great work ethic. Also most arent stuck to that 9-5 thing. They have no problems working at 6am, or going home at 10pm.

[/quote]

Having a second home does mean you have to go there 4 or 5 times a year...but like you say with hotels so cheap...you get to see a lot of the USA on the drive to and from...I'm always joking that I'll be glad to live in FL so I can go somewhere else for my holidays...but then again I did a lot of my USA traveling from the UK...
If you make your homes work for you...you can end up with enough money to do what you want...

Osceola
17-07-2007, 02:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100

[/quote]

I'm sorry but must disagree Jeff. Foreclosures of homes in central Florida is up something like a hundred percent over this time last year. That's hardly an indication of "most Americans" easily being able to afford a second home. I think the real news is that many Americans are just trying to keep the single roof they own over their heads.

I can't agree that a work ethic that causes people to forego vacations or to work while they should be relaxing, enjoying life or spending time with family is "great" - by most definitions it's unhealthy. As an update to my earlier comment about the US attorney, he recently told me that his colleague went on a two week vacation to Hawaii and still spend 45 hours working while there!

chrizzy100
17-07-2007, 03:08
I think he said he could afford it...not most Americans...
A lot of Americans do own second homes if our area is anything to go by..but they are mostly older people...people who have not used their homes as ATM machines...

We give us odd looks because we own outright at our age...people think we are mad not having holidays everywhere and new cars...

shockey
17-07-2007, 09:16
We lived in the US for a few years, and moved back to the UK. It was a great experience which we would not have missed for anything. Quite different from taking holidays in the US.

The one piece of advice we would give is to stay in the UK property market when you move to the US - keep your UK home and rent it out. Most people find it a lot easier to cover their outgoings on a UK home than they do with a Florida vacation home.

esprit
18-07-2007, 00:00
Having sold everything we owned in the UK and converted all our wordly goods to dollars which then proceeded to lose nearly 25 percent in value, I would agree wholeheartedly with that piece of advice. Once you are out of the UK housing market what with the rising prices, falling dollar and inability on your return to get a mortgage, it can mean you are out of the UK housing market for good.