PDA

View Full Version : our big mistake moving to florida

mrsbabypowder
21-06-2007, 20:12
ok - its a lot of people's dream - a new life - a new beginning - a new chapter. BUT if we could turn the clock back 3 years we would do it in a heartbeat.

Our last 3 years has been a total mess up - we came over to Florida in August 04. We sold literally everything - my husband gave up a very well paid job that he had had for the last 25 years. We have 3 children at the time they were 11, 6 and 3.

We had an immigration attorney - from the start. We came out with a big bank account - looking for a business - what i thought was a dream business turned into a nightmare not 3 weeks into buying it. Undeclared debt, inventory wrong - basically we lost nearly all our money trying to keep this business running. Having come here on a B1 visa (for the adults) and the visa waiver for the kids (great thinking American Embassy) we had to leave every 3 months (could we afford it? NO) We finally decided to sell the business - and sue the previous owner. Luckily we sold before the eviction notice took affect. With all the questions and lost paperwork that the US Embassy wanted in London, we decided before we sold that it wasn't worth getting the E2 visa. We were actually never called for it. We had the business exactly 13months. This was the worst time of my life - i failed - i lost all our money - it was my dream, it was my mistake. Because my husband didn't work in the business, it was my responsibility to keep it running - but i couldn't do it.

Anyhow we were lucky that we sold it - dream blown apart by a nuclear bomb.

We sued the previous owner and won, but hey guess what she is now declaring bankruptcy with a few other companies that she owes money to who are after her - will we get out money? Heck no.

My husband wanted to go back to England after we sold - but because i LOVED it i managed to hold it off. The money was going FAST - the cost of living is so high once you live here. We borrowed money from our UK bank account to fund the US bank account - now we are in the situation where we have little to none left in England and about the same in the US. We borrowed money to book flights back in August - this gave us time to sort our gorgeous house out.

We are taking a container home to England - as we will have nothing in England. Luckily we paid for this last year. We will go into rented accomodation, collect income support and try to start again.

MY MISTAKE WAS THINKING THAT THE GRASS IS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE. It is only greener is you have enough money to live on without having to worry. It is fantastic coming here on vacations - but to live here - not in a million years.

I am by far not the only one. I have English neighbors that this has happened to - One sentance that i have come to treasure is "if somebody is selling a business it is usually failing - who would sell a business if it was making money?????"

I know i am going to get slammed by loads of people who think it is wrong to write the bad things about living in Florida - but this is my experience. I know what it is like first hand - for me - yes people make it - and have a wonderful life - but there are pitfalls in everything. Know what you are doing fully and understand the problems before hand.

Clare R
21-06-2007, 20:47
Sorry to hear that the Dream did not work out for you but what exactly did your husband do if you were left to run 'the business'?

What are your children's feelings on having to leave the sunshine and returning to UK.

Robert5988
21-06-2007, 20:50
A very brave post.

Hopefully it might be a warning to others who want to pursue the dream.

Hope everything works out for you back in UK.

Paula D-S
21-06-2007, 20:52
Sorry your dream didn't come true.

Good luck for the future.

mrsbabypowder
21-06-2007, 21:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
Sorry to hear that the Dream did not work out for you but what exactly did your husband do if you were left to run 'the business'?

What are your children's feelings on having to leave the sunshine and returning to UK.

[/quote]My husband was looking after the children and generally being a house husband. It was my decision to work, he had been working for the last 25 years and i wanted him to have a break. We purchased a Bridal Boutique and it wasn't really his thing!

My daughter who is nearly 15 is devastated. My boys now 9 and 6 with cute american accents are ok about it.

mrsbabypowder
21-06-2007, 21:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
A very brave post.

Hopefully it might be a warning to others who want to pursue the dream.

Hope everything works out for you back in UK.
[/quote]thank you for your words.

mrsbabypowder
21-06-2007, 21:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
Sorry your dream didn't come true.

Good luck for the future.
[/quote]thank you Paula

chrizzy100
21-06-2007, 21:03
You find out very quickly when you move here that along with all the dreams comes a few nightmares....
Sorry to hear it did not work out like you planned Mrsbabypower...I don't know if you can take any comfort in knowing you are not alone....there are forums out there if you wish for a link where you can maybe tell your story to others thinking about moving...we could also give you some support...people to talk to who have gone back home...just give me a IM ....

I wish you lots of luck back home...I know many who have gone back with nothing and made a good life in the UK very quickly....

andrewandcarole
21-06-2007, 21:17
A very brave post indeed.

I felt sick for you as I read it..........hope things look up when you get back to the UK.

Carole

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-06-2007, 21:29
A very brave post indeed and sober reading to some of those who are planning on moving out there. Thanks for sharing it with us - it can't have been easy.

florida4sun
21-06-2007, 21:34
I do sympathise and this is a strong lesson for many, never buy a business without doing strict due diligence and never part with any money until the visa is granted (your attorney should not have let you do this). Most businesses aimed at E2 visa are not good businesses, if there were good there would be sold to citizens, without the hassle of selling to someone applying for a visa.
We lived there for 5 year and had to come back for different reasons, we would still be there if we had a choice. It is a fantastic place to make money and whilst I would not stay there forever, we did have a wonderful time and I would have loved another 5-10 years.
For anyone thin king of making the move, I would strongly advose keeping some property back in the UK. This makes the burden of moving back (which most folks do) much easier.

21-06-2007, 21:39
Elaine, thank you for posting, and Yes it was very brave of you[grouphug][grouphug][grouphug]

We had an offer to move over in 2004 as my husbands business at the time was doing some work in the US and we were told there would be lots more, and for a little while we were tempted but decided not too and thank godness as the work over there has virtually dried up and we would have been in dire straits[msnsad]

I wish you all the best once you get back to the UK, do you know where in the UK you will live?

All the best[grouphug]

esprit
21-06-2007, 22:24
I have to say if the business was so bad I am surprised that you managed to sell it and you were lucky to do so. Did it sell to another visa applicant or to a US citizen?

It was brave of you sharing that story, am sorry that you are going home without anything. It must be hard on your daughter, I know my teenage son quickly became an American and would take the pledge of allegiance tomorrow if he could. My story is somewhat different. The E2 business we bought was bad also, but we picked ourselves off the floor and started something else. We were there for nearly four years and though we had to leave late last year, it was due to visa renewal problems due to a technicality and nothing to do with the business we had which we also managed to sell. We were lucky and came home with considerably more than we went out with. I am currently in Portugal ( I would agree about keeping a property in the UK, Martin, the property ladder there had moved on without us!) but want to go back to Florida and will one day do that, it gets in your blood. My son was lucky enough to get his own visa to go back, international students visa, though his fees are very costly. As Chrissy says there are forums out there with returning to the UK sections where you can share your story and pick up some tips, if she hasnt already dm-ed you, let me know.

21-06-2007, 22:34
Sorry to hear you also came back Julie, your profile still says USA so I did not realise, glad things are working out though[msnsmile]

Cruella DeVilla
22-06-2007, 00:39
Elaine, I know it has been hard for you in the last few months and thanks for being honest about your experience.

mizzy
22-06-2007, 00:49
wishing you and your family much happiness for the future Elaine[grouphug]

marie

TonyBlenk
22-06-2007, 01:48
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
I sincerely hope your life will soon be back to a more positive outlook.

Nikki D
22-06-2007, 01:51
A really sad post, I hope you get your life back on track really soon. Sorry things went so wrong for you. Best of luck to you and your family for the future [grouphug]

Kazzie
22-06-2007, 02:47
So sorry that things did not turn out well for you Elaine. I wish you all the best once you return to the UK.

Karen

owen3
22-06-2007, 04:30
Sorry it did not work out for you Elaine, but at least you gave it a try.
Barbara

Frosty
22-06-2007, 07:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by owen3
Barbara
[/quote]

Mrs BP, at least you gave it a go, if you never had you would always have wondered.

And we got to meet because of it[msnwink]

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
I have to say if the business was so bad I am surprised that you managed to sell it and you were lucky to do so. Did it sell to another visa applicant or to a US citizen?

It was brave of you sharing that story, am sorry that you are going home without anything. It must be hard on your daughter, I know my teenage son quickly became an American and would take the pledge of allegiance tomorrow if he could. My story is somewhat different. The E2 business we bought was bad also, but we picked ourselves off the floor and started something else. We were there for nearly four years and though we had to leave late last year, it was due to visa renewal problems due to a technicality and nothing to do with the business we had which we also managed to sell. We were lucky and came home with considerably more than we went out with. I am currently in Portugal ( I would agree about keeping a property in the UK, Martin, the property ladder there had moved on without us!) but want to go back to Florida and will one day do that, it gets in your blood. My son was lucky enough to get his own visa to go back, international students visa, though his fees are very costly. As Chrissy says there are forums out there with returning to the UK sections where you can share your story and pick up some tips, if she hasnt already dm-ed you, let me know.
[/quote]
We were so lucky to sell the business. An American girl came in for a job one day - she had a lot of experience and used to work for the previous owner. ( a ray of sunshine i thought ) she told me that she was interested in buying the business as it was something she had always wanted ( her parents are rich - which was a blessing ) But things would get stressed for me because she would enter the store on the day it was closed to go through computers, files etc etc. when i found out i hit the roof. she got her attorney to write me a letter saying that the deal would be off if i stopped her entering the store. she had a very good attorney.......

anyhow she still ended up buying the business. And here we are today.

Chelsey my daughter wants to marry an American tomorrow if she could....i am trying.....he has to be wealthy, kind and loving (yes i put wealthy first)she would love to stay here - i have nightmares that she runs away the night before we go, just so she can stay here.....mmmm wake up Elaine....

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewandcarole
A very brave post indeed.

I felt sick for you as I read it..........hope things look up when you get back to the UK.

Carole
[/quote]thank you Carole.

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
A very brave post indeed and sober reading to some of those who are planning on moving out there. Thanks for sharing it with us - it can't have been easy.
[/quote]i appreciate your words, it took a long time to come to terms with what happened and in a few years we will look back at it and laugh. but it is still raw - and it hurts.

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
Elaine, thank you for posting, and Yes it was very brave of you[grouphug][grouphug][grouphug]

We had an offer to move over in 2004 as my husbands business at the time was doing some work in the US and we were told there would be lots more, and for a little while we were tempted but decided not too and thank godness as the work over there has virtually dried up and we would have been in dire straits[msnsad]

I wish you all the best once you get back to the UK, do you know where in the UK you will live?

All the best[grouphug]
[/quote]
Thanks Julie, We are moving back to Worthing Sussex, My sister who has a 3 bedroom house said we could stay there a couple of weeks to find somewhere to live. There are going to be 8 people in her house - gosh the tension,..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Elaine, I know it has been hard for you in the last few months and thanks for being honest about your experience.
[/quote]hi CDV it has helped me to write it down to be honest. I will keep in touch and let everyone know what we are doing in the UK

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
wishing you and your family much happiness for the future Elaine[grouphug]

marie
[/quote]thank you Marie - i will share it with my family

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by TonyBlenk
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
I sincerely hope your life will soon be back to a more positive outlook.

[/quote]i am sure we will get our lives back to where we were before we moved to Florida. I pray every night that we will make something of our lives again in England.

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nikki D
A really sad post, I hope you get your life back on track really soon. Sorry things went so wrong for you. Best of luck to you and your family for the future [grouphug]
[/quote]Thanks Nikki

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie
So sorry that things did not turn out well for you Elaine. I wish you all the best once you return to the UK.

Karen
[/quote]thank you Karen

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 07:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by owen3
Barbara
[/quote]thank you Barbara - we gave it our best shot

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 08:00
Mr Frosty - my global mate. this is one friendship i will take with me. I met you on here, you bought my salad cream mmmmmm - and our friendship clicked. You and Kay are Fantastic. Respect where respect is due. well give it to me then...LOL see i can still laugh at myself. You better get the Fillet cooked well on July 1st. I love sweet potato's with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on.......mmmmm. of course i have to eat to maintain my weight - otherwise i would be a size 8. and i can't have that.........i will bring the salad cream....

love to you and Kay
xoxoxox

Elaine62
22-06-2007, 12:40
sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you.

We found ourselves in a similar position 9 years ago. we'd moved to NZ, myself and daughter on a student visa, I was to train to be a primary teacher, and my husband on a 6 month visitor visa. We had friends there who assured us that as soon as Bobby got a job offer we could apply for a visa that would allow Bobby to stay. Well he did eventually get a really good job offer but when we applied to immigration we were told that as other kiwis had applied for the job then he was ineligible. He would have had to have been offered a job where no kiwis were willing/able to do it! Now he's not a rocket scientist so that would never ever have been the case. We had to come home the day before his 6 month visa expired.

We had moved all our stuff out there but couldn't afford to bring it all back (the packing costs were more expensive there) so we sold a lot in a garage sale. We came home to stay with his parents. We did still have our car, my brother had been asked to sell it when we left but never quite got around to it! We both got temp jobs within days so immediately had an income, albeit not very large!

we decided to buy an ex council house as we couldn't afford the detached type we'd previously had. my sister acted as guarantor for the mortgage which we refinanced once we got permanent employment. we came home in September and moved into our new house a week before christmas.

to be honest we were too shell shocked by what had happened to really think about how we felt but on reflection i don't regret what happened and feel that it has made us better people and now have stronger and sounder values because of it.

we no longer strive to have the perfect house like we used to. for us spending time as a family and that includes spending all our savings every year on our florida trip are the most important things that we hold dear.

since coming back things have not always been great, we've both been made redundant and had to find other jobs again. My brother in law died quite suddenly from cancer a couple of years ago at 45 and my mohter in law has alzheimers now.

The way i look at it is that if we were still there my father in law would have had to cope with all of this on his own, he only had 2 sons, whereas now that we're home we are able to be a real support for him and my daughter who really had very little to do with her grandparents when she was small is now with them every day as we couldn't afford the afterschool club she used to go to when we came home. She's 15 now and can't really remember it but likes to look at the home video now and again and laugh at her kiwi accent.

i don't particularly miss it as it was only when I was there that I realised that every phone call i made had to be planned. I hadn't appreciated how often I used ot contact my friends/family until I coulcn't afford to! Plus it was before internet use was in every home, it might have been different if I had been able to e-mail and webcam people.

My husband now reflects on it with rose coloured spectacles on only remembering the good times and insists that if we ever win the lottery he'll move back permanently, we shall see!

Anyway take heart from this, as long as you are strong together and you have a good support network when you get back you'll get there.

At the end of the day if you can say you gave it your best shot that's all that matters.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Elaine

chris c
22-06-2007, 13:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
Thanks Julie, We are moving back to Worthing Sussex, My sister who has a 3 bedroom house said we could stay there a couple of weeks to find somewhere to live. There are going to be 8 people in her house - gosh the tension,..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
[/quote]

Maybe we'll meet up in Boots or M & S then Elaine!
I live in Worthing.

Ruth
22-06-2007, 14:19
Elaine, I am so sorry it did not work out for you. We gave moving over serious consideration but decided not to go ahead which, after hearing your story and others, I am glad we decided to stay in the UK.

Cruella DeVilla
22-06-2007, 15:06
Elaine, Can I ask you an honest question please about your experiences?

Did you have any experience in the bridal game before you bought the business and what made you choose that particular business, It seems to be such a minefield when choosing the right business, it scares the h*ll out of me!

I am glad you found someone to buy it in the end althought she sounds like a "right yin" as we Scots say.

E. Cosgrove
22-06-2007, 15:29
I am sorry to hear your sad tale Elaine. I love the US in general and Florida in particular and although I would love to spend more time there I could never be brave enough to pursue that dream ( I love the UK too much as well!)

My BIL has lived in the US for about 10 years now, he has a green card and 3 children who were born in the US but he is homesick and missing his family, so this year he has sold up and come home.

Everyone's story is different, there are happy ones and sad one's like your own.

I hope you and your family settle down again in the UK and that your fortunes take an upward turn. Good Luck!

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 17:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris c
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
[/quote]

Maybe we'll meet up in Boots or M & S then Elaine!
I live in Worthing.

[/quote]No lets meet up at the Maharja in Rowlands Road - my favorite Indian Restaurant

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 17:58

Did you have any experience in the bridal game before you bought the business and what made you choose that particular business, It seems to be such a minefield when choosing the right business, it scares the h*ll out of me!

I am glad you found someone to buy it in the end althought she sounds like a "right yin" as we Scots say.

[/quote]Hey, no i had no experience at all in the Bridal Business, i wish we had bought into FOOD. It is the one business that would make loads of money. A Subway would be excellent - i always had dreams of opening a English Tea Room. There is so much opportunity here, but you need money. And don't start talking to me about the taxes....ehhhhhhhhh

mrsbabypowder
22-06-2007, 18:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I am sorry to hear your sad tale Elaine. I love the US in general and Florida in particular and although I would love to spend more time there I could never be brave enough to pursue that dream ( I love the UK too much as well!)

My BIL has lived in the US for about 10 years now, he has a green card and 3 children who were born in the US but he is homesick and missing his family, so this year he has sold up and come home.

Everyone's story is different, there are happy ones and sad one's like your own.

I hope you and your family settle down again in the UK and that your fortunes take an upward turn. Good Luck!
[/quote]don't get me wrong i love it in Florida. i love the weather, the smell of dew first thing in the morning, our pool, our house, the afternoon storms if i could pick it up and bring it to the UK i would be as happy as a pig in s@*#

julieanne
22-06-2007, 18:05
Elaine, so sorry ro read your story [grouphug]
I wish you and your family the best of luck on your return to the UK and hope that you can rebuild quickly and be happy again.

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on....

florida4sun
22-06-2007, 18:06
Taxes? Give me the usa tax system anyday. I really miss it[msncry]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mrsbabypowder

[/quote]Hey, no i had no experience at all in the Bridal Business, i wish we had bought into FOOD. It is the one business that would make loads of money. A Subway would be excellent - i always had dreams of opening a English Tea Room. There is so much opportunity here, but you need money. And don't start talking to me about the taxes....ehhhhhhhhh
[/quote]

Cruella DeVilla
22-06-2007, 19:55

[/quote]

A tearoom is something I fancied myself Elaine, mind you I would probaly eat the profits!:D

mfairhurst
23-06-2007, 00:37
We said that there is a fish and chip shop near PUBLIC near the hwy 192
and we have seen a few in .
May be a tea and scone shop also gateux and not over the top prices[msnsmile2]
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

anorak
23-06-2007, 01:19
Mrs BP, I have heard there is money in puppy breeding, but I wouldn't mention it to Cruella. I am sorry that the bridal shop didn't work out for you, I wouldn't like to try to run a retail business in Fl, you were brave to try.
Someone mentioned Subway, Subway as well as being the cheapest national food franchise to buy is also the least successful however with more franchisees just giving up after a while.
There seems to be good money in Chinese takeaway, we just aren't the right people for it however. And its late hours.
Too many pizza, wings, burgers stores etc.
Maybe its just our area which is saturated, I tried to find somewhere for takeaway in Sanford last week and had a bit of a job locating one, but there again I don't know the area so well.
Good Luck and it was great to meet you last Christmas.

Jo
23-06-2007, 01:29
Elaine I'm sorry to hear your story. It's important that people share the realities -- that's what makes this a great forum. The other thing that helps is people actually care about one another on this forum, even though many of us have never met or even spoken. Sometimes if you close your eyes you can feel the [grouphug] - try it!

It's hard , but you can hold you head up and say that you tried and everything you did you did with the best intentions. You may be short of cash for a while , but soon you will have a home of your own and you can pick yourself up again.

You sound like a fighter, and your family will keep you motivated - once a mother always a mother. Good luck form the next chapter in your life. I hope the children settle into school quicky , that you find work and that you get a sense of belonging very soon.

mfairhurst
23-06-2007, 01:35
ELAINE .
Failing business can happen any were in the world and more so here in the UK .
Our business tax is bad for anyone in any area of running a business be ir big or small and is a mine field with our tax system .
Wehave moved around in UK running buiness and believe me it is not a bed of rosies .
Good luck for the future in all you do .
MAUREEN

Cruella DeVilla
23-06-2007, 04:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak
Mrs BP, I have heard there is money in puppy breeding, but I wouldn't mention it to Cruella. [/quote]

Now there is an idea[}:)]

ravtino
24-06-2007, 13:52
Sorry to hear about your experience Elaine but as others have said at least you tried, remember "WHAT DOSEN'T KILL US MAKES STRONGER" and you will get through this.

trevlad
24-06-2007, 14:44
elaine you seem to be a southern bird but if you have any consideration for flying to the nth east of england i would gladly offer you a refurbished 3 bedder at short notice. albeit terraced! but i reckon your 414 posts are good enough reference.

by the way where did the babypowder handle come from?[msnwink]

thornton
24-06-2007, 14:56
Having read your story Elaine, you certainly have been through the mill. I am sure that yoa will pick yourself up and get back on your feet soon.

If they brought in the 'Over 60s Visa' provided you are self sufficient we would be off like a shot. It is always good to keep a base in the UK though wherever you go to live abroad.

mrsbabypowder
24-06-2007, 17:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
elaine you seem to be a southern bird but if you have any consideration for flying to the nth east of england i would gladly offer you a refurbished 3 bedder at short notice. albeit terraced! but i reckon your 414 posts are good enough reference.

by the way where did the babypowder handle come from?[msnwink]
[/quote]Hey, thanks for the offer. We will definatley keep it in mind.

MMMMMM babypowder - well to me johnson and johnson baby powder was one of the most beautiful smells on my babies. When you snuggle them in their babygrows after a bath, they smell so MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM - now hold that feeling - now you have my name......

mrsbabypowder
24-06-2007, 17:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by thornton
Having read your story Elaine, you certainly have been through the mill. I am sure that yoa will pick yourself up and get back on your feet soon.

If they brought in the 'Over 60s Visa' provided you are self sufficient we would be off like a shot. It is always good to keep a base in the UK though wherever you go to live abroad.
[/quote]
Thank you i know we will pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and start all over again.

It gets me so angry that the British/Scottish/Welsh/Irish have to have a visa to move to the USA. We are their allies - and pretty close allies at that. Come on America - let us in so that we can make your country better.....................

chrizzy100
24-06-2007, 17:42
Mrs BP, I have heard there is money in puppy breeding, but I wouldn't mention it to Cruella. I am sorry that the bridal shop didn't work out for you, I wouldn't like to try to run a retail business in Fl, you were brave to try.
Someone mentioned Subway, Subway as well as being the cheapest national food franchise to buy is also the least successful however with more franchisees just giving up after a while.
There seems to be good money in Chinese takeaway, we just aren't the right people for it however. And its late hours.
Maybe its just our area which is saturated, I tried to find somewhere for takeaway in Sanford last week and had a bit of a job locating one, but there again I don't know the area so well.
[/quote]

I think the people up here would disagree that Subway is unsuccessful..I know the owners of most around here and they do very well and have done so for many years and now own more than one.....I also know a few Brits with Subways in FL who are doing more than well...I've seen Brits take a run down Subway(people stopped using it after a fall out with the owner) and make it a good little money maker...

florida4sun
24-06-2007, 21:24
Subway is one of the most lucrative franchises if run properly. We have 7 of them in our family and they provide the most extensive franchise support system out there. They are not cheap by any means. he average set up costs for each ofthe 7 shops in UK is approx 350,000 sterking or 700,000 US. One shop has recoupped that cost within 6 months and another coming online which will smash those figures.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

I think the people up here would disagree that Subway is unsuccessful..I know the owners of most around here and they do very well and have done so for many years and now own more than one.....I also know a few Brits with Subways in FL who are doing more than well...I've seen Brits take a run down Subway(people stopped using it after a fall out with the owner) and make it a good little money maker...
[/quote]

palmvillas
27-06-2007, 12:14
Sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience,you just have to look forward now and not back. Hope your children settle down in the UK quickly.

Wishing you all the best for your future[msnsmile2]

Debbie & Neil

sheenallan
27-06-2007, 13:50
Hi all,
Ref the over 60s Visa i have e-mailed countless times to Senator Crispin,Senator Bush ,Senator Mendize and have also sent one to George Bush so far i have received two replies,but i will keep on!! perhaps if everyone who wanted to retire to Florida got of their butts and did the same we could get somewhere.

Sheena.

esprit
27-06-2007, 15:30
You may know they tried to get a retirement bill through in the late 1990s, Sheena, though the guy who introduced it is no longer in Senate. It failed because it only got the support of the senators whose regions would benefit, Florida, New Mexico and Arizona eg and there are far more cold northern states that wouldnt really benefit. Anyway it never made it. I think if everyone who wants to retire to Florida emailed and you got someone to introduce it again based on support in Florida, the same thing would happen again. There is a lot of self interest in American politics! Unfortunately.

benfilo
27-06-2007, 17:33
Elaine,
It was a brave move in the first instance, moving out there to start a new life,also it took a lot of courage to tell your story here,with character like that I.m sure you'll soon rise above it. A very useful post for anyone considering the move.
All the very best for the future

Appledore
27-06-2007, 17:59
Elaine, it will be nice to welcome you back home! Stay positive. I have to say your post has made me think about moving abroad. I seem to dream of that something better constantly but in reality that isn't always the case. I'm sure you'll soon settle and your family will make new friends as well as keeping those you have made in the states.

Good luck to you all - welcome home!
Elaine

chrizzy100
27-06-2007, 18:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sheenallan
Hi all,
Ref the over 60s Visa i have e-mailed countless times to Senator Crispin,Senator Bush ,Senator Mendize and have also sent one to George Bush so far i have received two replies,but i will keep on!! perhaps if everyone who wanted to retire to Florida got of their butts and did the same we could get somewhere.

Sheena.
[/quote]

Not sure if we want to retire in FL...to hot in summer...I'd like to spend winter there and summer in New England...

Genie
27-06-2007, 19:16
Mrs BP, I have heard there is money in puppy breeding, but I wouldn't mention it to Cruella. [/quote]

[/quote]

Forget it !! I've been doing that for 25 years ! I haven't made any money yet !!

florida4sun
27-06-2007, 23:51
we have thought about this at at a £1000 a go it is tempting but I know for fact we would not be bale to giove them away and would end up with a 101 of them[msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie

[/quote]

Forget it !! I've been doing that for 25 years ! I haven't made any money yet !!
[/quote]

Frosty
28-06-2007, 00:32

[/quote]

[/quote]

This from the Lady who independently owns her own villa in Fl which she seems to visit a hell of a lot!!!![msnwink]:D

gail and david roberts
28-06-2007, 20:52
Elaine so sorry to hear you news
and thank you for posting
myself and my family wish your Family all the best in the future

mrsbabypowder
29-06-2007, 07:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gail and david roberts
Elaine so sorry to hear you news
and thank you for posting
myself and my family wish your Family all the best in the future

[/quote]thank you Gail and David. And thank you to everyone who has sent us warm wishes.

Parrothead
10-08-2007, 19:10
Elaine, we wish you the very best for whatever the future holds for you!

We too had thought seriously about making the big move. We even sold our big house and down sized last year with this thought in mind.
Having spent many, many happy holidays in Florida, decided we should do it.
Then sat down and got serious, decided that we did not want to be tied to a very shaky E2 visa.
Everyone we spoke to said they were having trouble renewing.
We are both too old for that, so decided to keep the house here in England and spend 6 months of each year in Florida. Not in one bite, but 2 sets of 3 months stints, then spend 3 months here and 3 months doing whatever we want. Have the best of both worlds. I suffer in the cold & damp so will not be in the UK for any winter months.
So heres to the future.

orlandodaze
18-08-2007, 01:27
Elaine ,you have certainly had more than your share of bad luck,and I wish you every success in turning things around . I m sure that your story will perhaps make people who have dreams of relocating to Florida to rethink their plans . You are so good at telling your experiance that maybe you should consider writing a book . People have written books about less interesting subjects and made money out of it ,anyway I do hope all your future plans meet great success.

mrsbabypowder
18-08-2007, 12:20
oh well we are back in England now - and its cold and raining - still wish we could've stayed if only for the weather...............but now the nightmare is behind us, we are strugerling for money - waiting on benefits, waiting on a house - god somebody wake me up PLEASE

LiesaAnna
18-08-2007, 12:58
Hi Elaine and family, (i used to live down queens road, kingsway hotel)love worthing!

anyway have only just seen your story, (was in hospital at the start of it)
i am so sorry to hear you had to let it go and come back home to the UK, you surely had lots of goodtimes and the badtimes are on top at present, you will be able to say one day "at least we tried it" many of us go through life wishing we had done things differenly i respect you all for giving it a good go, even tho' you had no knowledge of the business, am sure you'll do something as nice here one day and fill your bank account back up

well done for trying,[clap]
Good luck for the future for you all[grouphug]
stay close to us here, we're your friends, xx

where will you go for holidays in the future?[grouphug]

SDJ
18-08-2007, 14:19
Elaine

Hang on in there. Just try to take one day at a time. You will be surprised in a few months where the time has gone. I am sure you will pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go from there.

Good luck with any future plans that you may eventually have.
[grouphug]

The weather is so awful that it won't be helping you. Even for those of us who still live in UK and not taken a chance with a move to US, this rain is depressing to say the least.[gun]

Sandra

chrizzy100
18-08-2007, 19:22
I see many lifes every day messed up by people moving so they'll not have a 'what if' in their future....trouble is...you leave one 'what if' behind...and live with tons of ''what ifs everyday....I've seen families lose everything time and time again...many wishing they had never left the UK...

anorak
18-08-2007, 19:41
Welcome back to UK, are you still waiting for your funiture container? Did you manage to sell your house? Did you ship a car back or did you manage to sell them OK for a reasonable figure?
I do hope everything works out for you, you are a hard worker, it will be OK given a little time.

Genie
18-08-2007, 21:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty

[/quote]

[/quote]

This from the Lady who independently owns her own villa in Fl which she seems to visit a hell of a lot!!!![msnwink]:D
[/quote]

LOL
It's being able to rent it out that has been a sucess !!!
You should see my vet bills !!!!![msncry]

mrsbabypowder
30-05-2008, 22:07
Well my update 9 months back in the UK.

We are living in Selsey, renting a wonderful house. We managed to rent our house in Florida on a years lease. Nice American family living there now. Missing it terribly. We have had more downs than ups - On September 14th my maltese dog called Charley was run over in front of me. Still gets to me badly. We found a house in Littlehampton - but 2 days before moving in the landlord told us that he didn't want to rent it. We had a rough time living with relatives. Anyhow we finally found a gorgeous house in Selsey, and we are very happy living here (except for the neighbors!)

I have been signed off from work long term because my sciatica has got a lot worse. In Florida i hardly took any pain killers the heat helped greatly. I now have my blue badge, makes me sound bad.

We brought a 40ft container back with us and loads of problems there, the shipping company in the UK never got their money from the company that we used to move in Florida. And so we have been taken to court - at the moment it is with the judge.

On good news we had a litter of maltese puppies and kept our new boy called Harvey. A mini Charley! I am trying to get Harvey to do Hi 5 (Charley did it)

I am trying to sell off some big bits that we have left that we can't fit in - to be honest we really need the money, so i hope someone wants them. I still have a load of Wedding dresses, Prom, Mother of the Bride, Bridesmaids, Flowergirl dresses and a ton of Plus size clothes from Lane Bryant (where i worked)

On another good note i am having a lapband operation to lose weight - my dream, i have tried every other way and now with my sciatica i can't even exercise. I am hoping that when the weight comes off my sciatica will get better.

Well i better go now and finish dinner.

Elaine

Cruella DeVilla
30-05-2008, 23:56
I saw you on earlier today Elaine, nice to hear from you and theat you are coming out the other side albeit with a few ups and downs.

esprit
31-05-2008, 05:52
Nice to read your update. You went back just as we arrived back in Florida. I must admit it is a struggle here at the moment because the economy is in such a poor state.
We took a load of stuff to Portugal from Florida. It doesnt quite fit non Florida homes, does it?? Fortunately we sold our house furnished so it is all still back there. I sometimes wonder if it is worth it though, we also had loads of problems with our shippers, seems to be par for the course.

S&VEdwards
31-05-2008, 11:04
Hi Elaine

Nice to have you back. Hopefully, all the bad bits are behind you now and you can start looking forward to a more positive future. I hope the operation goes well and improves the sciatica. My hubby has a bad back and it is terrible. Even worse when he got sciatica but thankfully his didn't last. Have fun with the new doggy as well they can bring so more joy, though he will never replace Charley. Good luck for the future and I hope you have turned a corner now.

Sandra

Appledore
01-06-2008, 22:56
Elaine, really nice to hear from you. I'm sorry thinkgs haven't gone too well over here, but I wish for you a fresh start with your operation and and a new puppy (best friend) things are surely looking up.

Stay positive. Elaine

Susan J
03-06-2008, 03:38
Elaine
Thank you for sharing your story, and I hope things are all smiles from now on
I have learned a lot from your posts, which I have committed to my failing memory for the future
If we jump across the pond, we need:-
lots of money [if only for the shoes wh!]
A home here for the 1st 5 years in case it doesn't pan out
A business which we are experienced in, and are willing to be there 7 days a week
A strong understanding of taxes
Actually, as I write this, it doesn't sound much different than living here!! _ I may just stick to hols after all

I do hope you settle in Selsby, and now, if nothing else, you know who your friends are, and what is important in life -so enjoy those things -you deserve it.

melanied
22-07-2008, 22:46
Hi
I don't even know where to start.

I am a flight attendant and fly to Orlando every week. I have visited there nearly every year since I was 13. I love it!

I am now a mother of two children aged 20 months and 3 years.

My husband has recently dissolved his partnership due to a failing business and we have just sold our home to rent it back. Bankruptcy is next. Basically things couldnt be worse financially except for some savings I have.

We would love to move to Orlando and start a new life but want to research it thoroughly so it works out for us all. We are in no rush.

I could keep my job with my airline and commute as I only fly 2 to 3 times a month.

We are willing to look into as many options as possible.

Also what about schooling for the kids eventually? It is possible to keep our home in the u.k and pay rent in fact we would really like to do this.

Cant think of anything else at the moment but any questions welcome. Advice will be much appreciated.
Thankyou[?]

atush
07-09-2008, 20:46
Melanie,

From your posts here I can't see you have enough cash. If you did, you would have used your savings to help you keep a hold of your house in the UK.

If you moved to th US, even with one of the airlines if that was allowed, the costs would be too high for you. Esp if you take into acct your helathcare costs and the fact your husbnd might nto be allowed to work.

Your best bet would be subsiised childcare and a part time job for the husband in the UK.

orlandobabe
27-03-2009, 15:51
Thanks Elaine for bravely writing your story.

It's a while now-but I hope you are on the upturn.

The Florida Dream can all too quickly become the Florida Nightmare and often we have no control over it.

I owned a villa there for 8.5 years and although I would have loved to have lived there-permanently was not an option. I couldn't bear to leave my adult children behind or my mum or grandkids.

However-again fate intervened and after 3 years of owning-my marriage gradually began to fall apart. I kept on with the villa and it still did well and covered all costs-right up to him leaving 3 years ago.

In its final year it began to struggle. It went from 40 weeks to 20 weeks-I still was covering my costs at this point-but last year for some strange reason I only got 13 weeks-I think it was the universe's way of telling me enough was enough.

I dreaded bills falling on the mat and with the divorce imminent I knew I had to sell-but wanted to sell it too-that sort of stress is just too much-and he had none of it. He never went for those last 3 years.

Luckily it sold in a couple of months-it was in good condiiton-but we let it go very cheaply.

I said 'goodbye' to it in september 2008-and it didn't hurt as much as I feared it might.

I miss it now and then-but the relief of no stress of it more than makes up for it.

I'm glad I did it(buying it)-I learned a lot-and had some good times and met some lovely people-and have some lovely memories-but it was time to part company. Knowing that it was going to go-I made sure I made the most out of it and had 11 holidays there in the last 3 years-totalling 26 weeks altogether.

My staff were amazing-I formed really close bonds with my manager pool and lawn guy and their support was fantastic.

Nothing is ever wasted-and although we don't choose our experiences sometimes we can look back and be proud of how we coped at the time. With everything that was happening in the family at the time-it was a really black period for me-but somehow I got through it.

Life is simpler now. I haven't had an exotic holiday since September 2008 -but I have had lots of little ones with good friends and family. I've also been fortunate in meeting a lovely caring man who wants to go to Florida sometime-so I will be back!

At least I won't be worrying about the jobs that need doing.

Hopefully you too are experiencing calmer, happier times. You seem very family orientated Elaine-just like me-I have the family and grandchildren coming out of my ears.

My ex-husband walked away clutching his little bag of gold from the sale of the villa and our daughter and her soon to be 3 children has not spoken to him since the day he left.

There are some things that money cannot buy-and I know which I would rather have.

Hope some good blessings are coming your way

Good luck-to everyone too in a similar situation

Osceola
07-08-2009, 01:48
Why is it part of human nature to always take things just one step too far? You are sitting in your sun lounger next to the pool on a lovely Florida afternoon and suddenly that thought creeps into your head "wouldn't it be brilliant if we could just live here year round". Then it's down the slippery slope starting with (or making worse) the view that life in England is just terrible and before you know it you've convinced yourself that you have to escape this "third world nation" and flee to the bright sunshine of Florida.

What if the E2 process were a breeze? 10 year renewals, a half hour interview and a quick flip through of the company financials and your approved! Does anyone actually think that life in Florida would then be a walk on the sunny side of street?

At my villa, I was stunned to see that the usual hispanic guy was not mowing the lawn but what looked like an older, professional white man. Indeed an engineer with university degree who was made redundant and cannot find employment. In the city he is from in the northern US, unemployment rate is over 20 percent (don't believe what US media says otherwise). No health care, no social safety net, not even an assurance that state unemployment benefits will be available. How do people live like that?

Down the 192 from us, [edited out - this is a family forums]iniums that went for 300,000 USD are now selling for about $27,000! Banks just giving property away because the average American is basically penniless. It'll take years to sort out the economic mess in Florida.

So count your blessings.

chrizzy100
07-08-2009, 04:29
You do seem to live in a much blacker America than I do..I have seen my neighbours in FL lose their homes..but I've also seen them move on get different jobs places to live..it does take a lot for them to give up..yes it is scary to lose a job here...but its easier even in hard times to make a new start ...and I know that because we have already done that..

flyrr100
08-08-2009, 15:56
I made the move in 1988. Alone! I lived in Texas for a time. I've also lived in Nevada, Ohio, and now Florida.
Yes, life isn't as 'spoon fed' as it was in England. And if that scares you, it should. Without my medical insurance (over $800 a month) we'd be sunk.
I disagree with your third world description of England. If anything Florida is a third world state. Folks come here, as you say, after sitting by their pool watching a sunset, and find themselves broke and living in the back of their Volvo! We have a questionable infra structure. High crime. Especially in Orange county (Orlando).
But I love it here (USA, not necessarily Florida). I've found the American dream I guess. In England I was turned down by the RAF, and British Airways. Here I'm now a senior airline captain. I have a nice house with the obligatory pool. And of course 3 cars!
If you are intent on moving here. Look further afield. We have 50 states. And Florida ranks in the bottom 5 in most areas!

Sniff
09-08-2009, 17:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Osceola
Down the 192 from us, [edited out - this is a family forums]iniums that went for 300,000 USD are now selling for about $27,000!
[/quote]
Ha ha, that made me laugh. The nanny program used on this site really is a bit over the top at times :D

steph_goodrum
09-08-2009, 22:05
Keith
It isn't a mod that has done that it is the automatic filter for words that aren't always appropriate on a family forum. If you fill in the missing letters for yourself you can see the word which has been omitted.

donny
16-10-2009, 02:37
Mrsbabypowder, hope you don't mind me asking, how are things now?

flyrr100
18-10-2009, 16:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]ople live like that?

Down the 192 from us, [edited out - this is a family forums]iniums that went for 300,000 USD are now selling for about $27,000!
[/quote]

Property isn't that cheap yet! But you can get a condo over at Cocoa or Titasville for a song. NASA is winding down the shuttle program and literally thousands of people are losing their jobs.
My house, 4 bedrooms, corner lot, pool, is now worth around 170k. I bought it for 220k six years ago!
If you are brave, and have some money to invest, now would be a good time to buy a house here!

chrizzy100
19-10-2009, 08:02
my FL house is still worth more than we paid for it...but in the end its just a roof all paid for so its worth is really of no interest its just paper money... the Cape where I live full time went into recession early 2 years before the main land and is now out of it for the most part our house here has gone up $40k in 2 months and the homes are selling in weeks..
I do find it more depressing in FL then here I think its because people have more to lose in FL than here..most people I know a round here have very little to lose at the best of times..

Osceola
19-10-2009, 19:16
Jeff, the property is very much as cheap as that in Kissimmee! The unit I was referring to was one I personally took a look at on the Legacy Dunes Condo - minium (just to avoid those pesky auto edits!) on the 192. At the time I looked there were TEN units in the 20s and 30s 000 USD in that complex. Why?? Because no one could get financing from lenders to buy condo - minium units down there. Cash is king and investors have already bought several I was looking at (but couldn't raise the cash at the time!).

esprit
24-10-2009, 20:44
Many many English people living here now going back home or considering going home. Most UK people on E2 have no or inadequate health coverage because of the costs, business are struggling, many people have homes which are financially under water and are just walking away and leaving them. Osceola county has 12.8% unemployment which is higher than the 9.8% national average, Flagler county a massive 16% There is very limited unemployment benefit here and once it stops people get nothing at all. To put it frankly, no one here has any money.

Enjoy your holidays here, people, the sun still shines and it is still a good place to vacation. But dont consider moving here at the moment, or at least not unless you have a guaranteed and secure job paying a good wage waiting for you.

FraserLynn
24-10-2009, 21:10
Many many English people living here now going back home or considering going home. Most UK people on E2 have no or inadequate health coverage because of the costs, business are struggling, many people have homes which are financially under water and are just walking away and leaving them. Osceola county has 12.8% unemployment which is higher than the 9.8% national average, Flagler county a massive 16% There is very limited unemployment benefit here and once it stops people get nothing at all. To put it frankly, no one here has any money.

Enjoy your holidays here, people, the sun still shines and it is still a good place to vacation. But dont consider moving here at the moment, or at least not unless you have a guaranteed and secure job paying a good wage waiting for you.[/quote]Are the high levels of unemployment having an impact on crime levels in the area?

Osceola
26-10-2009, 19:07
If you read the newspapers in Florida, it doesn't seem like the crime problem is noticeably worse. I did hear that "concealed weapons permits" applications have increased substantially. There is a very large number of Floridians who are lawfully entitled to carry firearms on their persons. Whilst in one of the large outdoor recreation retailers here, Bass Pro Shops, on the international drive (they sell everything from camping gear to golf clothes) one of the clerks told me that sale of handguns and ammunition was very active. They are selling so much ammunition every week that they are having trouble keeping their shelves stocked!

anorak
04-11-2009, 21:14

Enjoy your holidays here, people, the sun still shines and it is still a good place to vacation. But dont consider moving here at the moment, or at least not unless you have a guaranteed and secure job paying a good wage waiting for you.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this, I fortunately have adequate income as I rent out homes I bought cheap - to tenants who have had their homes foreclosed on. But even my rents have had to go down, there are so many empty properties here as people don't have rent money even.
This morning I saw a longer than ever line at the free food store where poor folk can get handouts.

And you will find that you have to work so hard here that you will never have time to do all the things that are fun. You'll either be working, sorting out your taxes, or asleep.

I didn't even manage to get to last weeks rocket launch, or to Universal Halloween nights. But i got a lot of kitchen fitting and painting and locks changed etc.

flyrr100
07-11-2009, 03:08
I just got my Florida concealed weapons permit. Took 45 minutes. Which included a class on law and 10 rounds at the range!

I'm looking at buying a few cheap houses. As you say, with all the foreclosures it's a renting crazy market out there!

chrizzy100
07-11-2009, 08:45
Things seem to be picking up around here..house prices are nearly back to what they were in our neigbourhood anyway..but then we went into melt down two years before the rest of the US..places have closed new ones opened..a few area's are still finding it hard to sell but that is mostly the poorer neigbourhoods or the very rich ones..we really did not expect to be still here but hubbys work is holding on..I've noticed my food bill is less...firewood was cheaper.. my Electric bill was lower and our Property taxes were 3k less this year..I do find it more depressing in FL than here..can't say our crime has go up apart from bank robberies..we had 3 in one week...

mfairhurst
07-11-2009, 16:11
I though were you live in Cape Cod was so quiet and no crime surprised about the bank robberies ,Hope they catch them soon and put the away for a long time .
MAUREEN

florida4sun
07-11-2009, 17:03
Why on earth did you buy a vacation home in Florida? I have not seen much you like about Florida, which I find really odd. I would move back to Florida in second if we could, chances are we will be back in the USA within 3 years. If I was there now, I know for sure I would be better off than were in the non recession period.
This thread paints a very bleak picture, there are plenty of people having a ball in Florida. There will always be an in balance where ever you live. Its down to ourselves to make the best of what we have and not pile the blame onto others. Me yes I have lost a business through the recession and yes its cost lots. You pick yourself up and get on with it. Life is what you make it and not about what you have.

Things seem to be picking up around here..house prices are nearly back to what they were in our neigbourhood anyway..but then we went into melt down two years before the rest of the US..places have closed new ones opened..a few area's are still finding it hard to sell but that is mostly the poorer neigbourhoods or the very rich ones..we really did not expect to be still here but hubbys work is holding on..I've noticed my food bill is less...firewood was cheaper.. my Electric bill was lower and our Property taxes were 3k less this year..I do find it more depressing in FL than here..can't say our crime has go up apart from bank robberies..we had 3 in one week...
[/quote]

Osceola
17-11-2009, 01:55
I saw online that the Orlando Sentinel reported a few days ago that for the first time since World War II, Florida is actually losing population. The state's economy rests on a very narrow beam of tourism and construction and the slightest bump will knock it off. Working people cannot find jobs that pay a living wage. So they are moving to other states. Until state government leaders find a way to build an economy more solidly diversified, Florida is apt to remain economically unstable for years to come. Americans face some very, very serious challenges. 49 million Americans today will not get enough food to eat to eliminate their hunger pangs. If I were making decisions in Washington, I think I would be much less concerned about Afghanistan.

So I think anyone thinking of uprooting the family, especially with younger children, and dropping themselves into Florida's recession, should give this the most careful consideration.

florida4sun
17-11-2009, 02:05
That it such a broad statement, I would be back there tomorrow if we could. Recession can be a good time for the canny. You do paint a picture of doom and gloom. Everywhere is in recession its not just Florida.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
So I think anyone thinking of uprooting the family, especially with younger children, and dropping themselves into Florida's recession, should give this the most careful consideration.
[/quote]

esprit
17-11-2009, 08:36
But life on E2 is seriously restricted, Martin, from the visa renewal rules requiring regular trips out of the US, or even back to the UK for renewal purposes to the need to employ Americans even if you have no need of staff and have nothing for them to do, to the need to pay yourself a certain salary on W-2 ( instead of drawing profit) on which you will pay medicare and social security you will probably never be able to claim. Add to that the lack of homestead exemption and the need to pay international students rates for kids who have turned 21 who are otherwise sent home. And I dont need to tell you about health insurance issues. To do all this in a recession when few people in the US are buying anything, goods or services, and over 10 percent of people are unemployed is hard. Most businesses here are struggling but E2 businesses suffer under an additional burdon and are struggling more. I personally know of four lots of people who have left in the last six months having closed their businesses down and lost their life savings. It is easy to say you would be back in a heartbeat if you could. You remember the good old days of five years back, as do I, Im afraid it just isnt the same any more. I would not advise anyone to make the move at the moment, or at least not on E2. Sorry if this is read as doom and gloom, it is just realism.

Katys Grandad
17-11-2009, 09:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
That it such a broad statement, I would be back there tomorrow if we could. Recession can be a good time for the canny. You do paint a picture of doom and gloom. Everywhere is in recession its not just Florida.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
[/quote]
[/quote]

It looks to me like the painted picture is pretty accurate and that the advice is both sound and based upon fact. Quite refreshing to read an objective assessment not influenced by self interest actually.

florida4sun
17-11-2009, 10:29
Well I am running half the business I used and it it is still US based, it could easily support us. I am sorry but we all know the situation before we go or should do. The trips back for renewals, the need pay yourself a salary (although anyone with half a brain can see the huge loopholes in this, as per my tax returns).
I seem to remember you waxing lyrical about how good your attorney was and recommending them to everyone, only to find out they messed up for you. Do your homework!
In times of recession, we adapt and move on. Sure I have lost money in recession (and lost a business). Homestead exemption? Don't make me laugh. If people cannot survive without then they have no hope at all, it is peanuts. Life on an E2, everything is set out before you go, all the rules and regulations. Don't whine about it afterwards, when you think it should be changed. I thought you were on an L1 or was that the first time round and now your on E2, which appears does not suit you. The visa application clearly states you need to employ american, so why whine about this afterwards.
Show me the books of business's that have closed down and I will tell you were they went wrong, I guarantee it will not be due to E2 visa or recession. It will be down to bad decisions, poor due diligence and no back up plan.
I know around 20 people who have thriving businesses over there. Sure they had been affected but they adapt and move on. I also know around 8 people who have lost there business and moved back, all were errors on their own part. We came back blaming the health care system (which we did have a problem with), the reality was it gave us an excuse to move back with family. We could have overcome the healthcare issue, but Alex was not happy over there. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
But life on E2 is seriously restricted, Martin, from the visa renewal rules requiring regular trips out of the US, or even back to the UK for renewal purposes to the need to employ Americans even if you have no need of staff and have nothing for them to do, to the need to pay yourself a certain salary on W-2 ( instead of drawing profit) on which you will pay medicare and social security you will probably never be able to claim. Add to that the lack of homestead exemption and the need to pay international students rates for kids who have turned 21 who are otherwise sent home. And I dont need to tell you about health insurance issues. To do all this in a recession when few people in the US are buying anything, goods or services, and over 10 percent of people are unemployed is hard. Most businesses here are struggling but E2 businesses suffer under an additional burdon and are struggling more. I personally know of four lots of people who have left in the last six months having closed their businesses down and lost their life savings. It is easy to say you would be back in a heartbeat if you could. You remember the good old days of five years back, as do I, Im afraid it just isnt the same any more. I would not advise anyone to make the move at the moment, or at least not on E2. Sorry if this is read as doom and gloom, it is just realism.[/quote]

florida4sun
17-11-2009, 10:42
Where is my self interest? This is based on fact and experience. What experience you have of me and my experience, living in Florida, E2 visa applications to justify such a comment. Or is it just another dig?
Anyone on here can tell you that I left a thriving business, which is still running today.
Some comments made on here are missing a few facts. If Julie could explain why she had problems first time around, you will find it was nothing to do with recession and if it is so bad, why is she back there. I am also intrigued as to how she managed to get back, presuming its the same visa.
The orginal person who started this thread, did not do due diligence, the business they bought just was not there. Undeclared debt (how on earth do you buy a business and leave yourself open to this? Missing inventory (errr stock check before you hand over the dosh and change locks on same day). They even admit it was there mistake. It has nothing to do with visa or actually living in Florida, just personal choice.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

[i]

It looks to me like the painted picture is pretty accurate and that the advice is both sound and based upon fact. Quite refreshing to read an objective assessment not influenced by self interest actually.

florida4sun
17-11-2009, 17:27
The reason we cannot go back is because we have a terminally ill child and at the schools where not good for those in wheelchairs (more so to do with attitude than access). We would all be back there if circumstances were different.
Looks like fate is taking me back there anyway. We just landed a UK tour, which if successful goes to Europe and the USA. This would just be me though not my family.
I have heard so many people blame everyone else but themselves when something fails. This happens a lot with Visa renewals go wrong, if you do what is written in black and white, you get a renewal.
If the business you buy collapses within months, then sorry you did not do due diligence properly (this takes months to do properly).
The advice on hear would be thoughtful is when someone puts an opposite view are not pounced on as having 'self interest'. One sided discussions are frankly quite boring and a forum should be about balanced views.
Just to explain the self interest, the forum itself accounts for less than 1% of ticket sales, it is John and Rogers hard work elsewhere that brings customer to the ticket site direct. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father
No offence and I don't know you at all but you seem to have real issues about having to move back from Florida. I don't know about another dig but I think the general advice people are offering is sensible and thoughtful.

I suppose everyone has to do their homework about all apsects of living there. This would include trying to find out if all members of the family genuinely want to go.

I hope eveerything works out for all concerned.[/quote]

esprit
17-11-2009, 18:25
Well I am running half the business I used and it it is still US based, it could easily support us. I am sorry but we all know the situation before we go or should do. The trips back for renewals, the need pay yourself a salary (although anyone with half a brain can see the huge loopholes in this, as per my tax returns).
I seem to remember you waxing lyrical about how good your attorney was and recommending them to everyone, only to find out they messed up for you. Do your homework!
In times of recession, we adapt and move on. Sure I have lost money in recession (and lost a business). Homestead exemption? Don't make me laugh. If people cannot survive without then they have no hope at all, it is peanuts. Life on an E2, everything is set out before you go, all the rules and regulations. Don't whine about it afterwards, when you think it should be changed. I thought you were on an L1 or was that the first time round and now your on E2, which appears does not suit you. The visa application clearly states you need to employ american, so why whine about this afterwards.
Show me the books of business's that have closed down and I will tell you were they went wrong, I guarantee it will not be due to E2 visa or recession. It will be down to bad decisions, poor due diligence and no back up plan.
I know around 20 people who have thriving businesses over there. Sure they had been affected but they adapt and move on. I also know around 8 people who have lost there business and moved back, all were errors on their own part. We came back blaming the health care system (which we did have a problem with), the reality was it gave us an excuse to move back with family. We could have overcome the healthcare issue, but Alex was not happy over there. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
But life on E2 is seriously restricted, Martin, from the visa renewal rules requiring regular trips out of the US, or even back to the UK for renewal purposes to the need to employ Americans even if you have no need of staff and have nothing for them to do, to the need to pay yourself a certain salary on W-2 ( instead of drawing profit) on which you will pay medicare and social security you will probably never be able to claim. Add to that the lack of homestead exemption and the need to pay international students rates for kids who have turned 21 who are otherwise sent home. And I dont need to tell you about health insurance issues. To do all this in a recession when few people in the US are buying anything, goods or services, and over 10 percent of people are unemployed is hard. Most businesses here are struggling but E2 businesses suffer under an additional burdon and are struggling more. I personally know of four lots of people who have left in the last six months having closed their businesses down and lost their life savings. It is easy to say you would be back in a heartbeat if you could. You remember the good old days of five years back, as do I, Im afraid it just isnt the same any more. I would not advise anyone to make the move at the moment, or at least not on E2. Sorry if this is read as doom and gloom, it is just realism.[/quote]
[/quote]

To set the record straight, the attorney, she was actually a visa consultant, I waxed lyrical about once upon a time had retired by the time I had my visa problems and I was using someone else entirely, Martin. You may know 20 people who are doing OK and 8 who have gone back ( which itself isnt a brilliant proportion percentage wise) but I am a member of two immigration forums and see what is posted on those, plus know a lot of other people here and as I am up in Orlando, they are running businesses not directly connected with the vacation home indus

chrizzy100
17-11-2009, 19:15
I have to agree Julie..I used to get about 20 e-mail a week about moving to the US..now I get none..and the forums are like reading nightmare's I've never in 10 years of running expats forums seen the likes of it before..and this is the second down turn we have done here..the biggest problem is people being lied to from all sides and conned..

But saying that I'm sure its like that all over the world right now..I keep seeing little pick ups here and there..but its slow..I feel it more in FL then here in MA I don't know anyone here losing homes and jobs as of yet...but FL I know few not having troubles..
Still I look at it this way...had we stayed in the UK we would of lost our home years ago..hubby's company there closed a year after we left..and no-one we know is still in telecoms unless they moved country..America is both a great and hard place to live..I have a love hate thing with it..my views on living here change with the weather...the biggest things I've learned in 10 years is money does not buy happiness and to be thankful for what I have..I live in an area people would die to live in..the down side is Gordon Brown plans to semi retire just up the road..please keep him over there we have enough of out own nutty leaders spending time here without yours joining us.. [:o)][:o)]

Katys Grandad
17-11-2009, 19:33
Where is my self interest? This is based on fact and experience. What experience you have of me and my experience, living in Florida, E2 visa applications to justify such a comment. Or is it just another dig?[/quote]It does seem that you have some strong views about this subject and that might be impacting upon your objectivity but how you come to the conclusion that my general comment about it was aimed at you and was some sort of 'dig' is competely beyond me and totally unjustified.

florida4sun
17-11-2009, 19:48
You had quoted my post, so yes I took your comments as directed at me.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
Where is my self interest? This is based on fact and experience. What experience you have of me and my experience, living in Florida, E2 visa applications to justify such a comment. Or is it just another dig?

[/quote]

It does seem that you have some strong views about this subject and that might be impacting upon your objectivity but how you come to the conclusion that my general comment about it was aimed at you and was some sort of 'dig' is competely beyond me and totally unjustified.

[/quote]

Katys Grandad
17-11-2009, 19:49
You had quoted my post, so yes I took your comments as directed at me.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

[/quote]

It does seem that you have some strong views about this subject and that might be impacting upon your objectivity but how you come to the conclusion that my general comment about it was aimed at you and was some sort of 'dig' is competely beyond me and totally unjustified.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Incorrectly!

Osceola
17-11-2009, 20:00
Martin, sorry to hear about your child. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Yes, some people can flourish in a recession but I am seeing far fewer of them in the current economic climate. I think for "most people" the challenge of starting a business in a far off land is difficult enough without layering over it the problems inherent in a serious recession.

I simply don't think anyone considering a move can divorce themselves from the basic question of "what is going on with the Florida economy"? If Americans themselves are months and months and months out of work, why should anyone think that it will be roses on their arrival? Again, and maybe we are agreeing on the same point, thorough due diligence is in order and caution needs to substitute for the rose tinted glasses.

florida4sun
17-11-2009, 20:31
Yes we are in agreement, personally I think anyone who makes any move without research and due diligence is nuts. I met many over there who had moved to from the UK and bought suspect businesses (pool rounds, pest control, driveway coatings amongst others) and ended up broke and broken hearted. Of course it was everyone else's fault. Simple fact is they bought on face value.
We actually ran our business for 6 months before the deal was done. This was an agreement that took a monthly fee out of the purchase price. So everyone was happy.
Anyone thinking of moving over for regular 'average salary' job, I would not do it full stop. Even when times are good. There are too many variables.
If you are setting up a business, make sure you have prior knowledge of running a business. if you are green behind the ears, you will have an uphill struggle.
That is my whole point about this thread, all we are getting is 'Florida ruined my life' was it Florida?
The fact is we could have a much longer thread from those on here running very successful business and having a ball over there.

Martin, sorry to hear about your child. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Yes, some people can flourish in a recession but I am seeing far fewer of them in the current economic climate. I think for "most people" the challenge of starting a business in a far off land is difficult enough without layering over it the problems inherent in a serious recession.

I simply don't think anyone considering a move can divorce themselves from the basic question of "what is going on with the Florida economy"? If Americans themselves are months and months and months out of work, why should anyone think that it will be roses on their arrival? Again, and maybe we are agreeing on the same point, thorough due diligence is in order and caution needs to substitute for the rose tinted glasses.
[/quote]

Frosty
17-11-2009, 23:39
Yes Martin blow your horn that you did it all the right way.

Unfortunately we didn't so call us stupid or have half a brain or whatever other comment you can come up with.

We bought a business back in 2006 and left the middle of this year when we realised we had also made a big mistake. Yes the seller probably manipulated the figure, oh and by the way we did have a due diligence carried out, big help that was.

Us like most have a burning desire to live in Florida and it may cloud your judgement. It still doesn't make it taste any better when you lose some or all of your hard earned savings.

Been smug about it may make you feel better, but the result is that Florida did cause a hell of a lot of problems for Mrs babypowder just like it did ours.

The original title is "our big mistake moving to florida" and she quite simply was relaying her mistake. I too could write a similar story. I don't see where you get off judging people just because you did it "the right way".

The post serves as a warning to others.

florida4sun
18-11-2009, 00:10
Yes it is nice to blow ones own trumpet. Hard work had nothing to do with it!! We did have some hiccup's but overcame them. Yes Mrs Baby Powder did admit it was her mistake, which is a hard thing to do. Respect for that.
You don't have due diligence 'done', you do it yourself. You stayed for 3 years and then found out it was a mistake?
This is discussion, sorry if you do not like my point of view but I stand by it.

Yes Martin blow your horn that you did it all the right way.

Unfortunately we didn't so call us stupid or have half a brain or whatever other comment you can come up with.

We bought a business back in 2006 and left the middle of this year when we realised we had also made a big mistake. Yes the seller probably manipulated the figure, oh and by the way we did have a due diligence carried out, big help that was.

Us like most have a burning desire to live in Florida and it may cloud your judgement. It still doesn't make it taste any better when you lose some or all of your hard earned savings.

Been smug about it may make you feel better, but the result is that Florida did cause a hell of a lot of problems for Mrs babypowder just like it did ours.

The original title is "our big mistake moving to florida" and she quite simply was relaying her mistake. I too could write a similar story. I don't see where you get off judging people just because you did it "the right way".

The post serves as a warning to others.
[/quote]

esprit
18-11-2009, 01:23
Not Florida in particular, Martin. The people on the immigration forums are all over the states, so the US in general. California is worse if anything as are certain areas up north, Rhode Island and Michegan come to mind. Fact is that the environment three years ago is very different from what it is today. You would easily have done due diligence on a business three years ago in what is a discretionary purchase business and the business looked good at that point only for the whole place to go belly up last year and now there are a large amount of people unemployed, homes are worth 30-40% less than they were and no one has access to credit, hence no one is spending any money any more. Totally different environment. Due diligence only really helps provided the basis stays the same.

Robert5988
18-11-2009, 01:39
Well seeing as this is a discussion! Not for the first time Martin I don't think you have understood the thrust of the argument being presented. Or if you have understood, I simply don’t understand your approach in this thread.

Since this thread has been resurrected, there have been a number of balanced and reasoned posts pointing out to readers, who may have a desire to move to Florida, the pitfalls of buying a business and costs associated with living in the Sunshine State.

It was always difficult, and during the recession it has got far more difficult.

In fact it is rather ironic that you take such a stance when the unfortunate situation with your child’s medical problems graphically illustrated just how difficult life can be in Florida. Despite your apparently very successful business, you simply could not afford to stay in the USA due to the medical costs/insurance.

florida4sun
18-11-2009, 01:40
That just proves my point. How can you expect to run a business if you do not allow for economic variances. It's like buying a car and then being shocked that you have to pay for petrol to keep it going.

. Due diligence only really helps provided the basis stays the same.
[/quote]

esprit
22-11-2009, 04:20
That just proves my point. How can you expect to run a business if you do not allow for economic variances. It's like buying a car and then being shocked that you have to pay for petrol to keep it going. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
. Due diligence only really helps provided the basis stays the same.[/quote][/quote]There are economic variances and economic variances. No one in 2006 knew or expected the depths to which the downturn would come in 2008/9, ie that we would go into the worst recession since the 1930s. Banks have gone under, Circuit City closed down as did Linen and Things and Bennigans, General Motors went into chapter 11 and had to be taken over by the government and yet a few little E2-ers were supposed to predict the depth of the downturn two to three years before it happened by doing a due diligence when these giants above did not. Come on!!

mrsbabypowder
31-12-2009, 12:57
i have just seen this has come again to the top of the discussion. i haven't been on here for ages. to many bad memories and sad memories.
but i thought i would update as people have been asking.

this is mine and my families life. it is truthful and from my heart as i have always said how i feel.

We have had 2 long term renters in since we moved back - our neighbors looked after our house.

before the 2nd family moved in (a good Christian family that goes to Church every week) as i was told (not sure why religion had to raise its head) we put down new carpets, repainted and cleaned (thanks to my neighbors) they moved in as my neighbors went to the same church and said they were good and decent people. I was slightly concerend as they had 6 children.
Anyhow they couldn't afford the deposit and change over to the utilities, i agreed to help out and said the deposit could be paid over 2 months. and i would keep the utilities in my name for 2 months until they could put it in their names. they would pay for what ever they used.
they received a government check each month that exceeded the rent - and for the first couple of months the rent was paid on time. then it was a couple of weeks late, i would email them and ask what date we would receive it. i explained to them that the utilites would be taken out of my name in February (they moved in, in November) they agreed to this, and i waited for the remainder of the money which i asked for many times.
we had an email from them saying the the stove wasn't working, i said that as soon as the rent was paid for the previous month i would get a new one (as they had already had the gas company out) they didn't pay the rent. so i didn't get a stove. (which we found out later that one of their son's had issues and would pee in the oven when he didn't get his own way) maybe that was why it didn't work!
they wouldn't answer the phone, wouldn't reply to emails, so our neighbors would check up on the house.
In June 09 i sent them an email saying that if the rent wasn't paid they would really have to move out. they owed over $4,000. they sent an email back saying i was the worst landlord, and they were moving out. they moved out 2 weeks later.

we had some fantastic english friends that i asked to go round to make sure it was locked up about a week later. this is where the fun starts.
the front door was locked, he went round the back - all the patio doors were open and the windows, the smell of urine was over powering. there were maggots in the fridge with food both in the fridge and freezer. MY HOUSE was wrecked.

OMG why would people do this. Since September hubby has stopped paying the mortgage as he doesn't want the house (although i do) anyhow it came to a head this week when i couldn't ignore the constant calls from the mortgage company. i spoke to them, and explained the situation. i then decided that i'm not going to let the mortgage company take my house away from us, and said i would find the £1000 that is owed since September to pay the mortgage. i told my hubby that he had to go to florida and get the house cleaned up and ready so that we can rent it again - although we are trying so hard to sell it. he is going out for 32 days to sort our house out, on his own as i couldn't go as the kids need to go to school etc. he needs help. we need help.

we are still renting and we would never treat this house as a trash hole. why would people treat our house so disgusting beggers belief.

we have nearly lost everything due to wanting a new life in florida and i am not prepared to lose our house, our 1 last investment that we have because of a family that had no respect for other peoples property.

i am not after sympathy its hard enough. with tears in my eyes i am not going to fail at everything.

if anyone has any of the following in florida that hubby could borrow (i) would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

steps to get to the ceiling,
ride on lawn mower
gas strimmer
general tools like screwdrivers, plyers,

ncmurray
31-12-2009, 18:57
Mrs. Babypowder, I can't help out with any of the things that you need, but I just wanted to offer some sympathy to you. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through, and I truly hope that it will all come out right in the end. Perhaps the new year will bring a change for you.

Nuala

Lyn
01-01-2010, 01:42
Mrs. Babypowder, what a terrible story, I am so sorry to here of your situation, I have always wnated a villa but your story makes me glad I just rent.

esprit
01-01-2010, 04:27
So sorry to read that. So many sad stories over the last couple of years, three homes on our street of around fifteen homes in foreclosure. Our best friends left two days ago, they had been on E2, they had lost everything. Have been in many homes which were being re-furbed after long term rental giving quotes out. Many were trashed and left in a disgusting state. I am sure not all long term renters are like that, but it does seem a proportion are. Just no respect for other peoples property and no respect for themselves to live like that.

chrizzy100
01-01-2010, 05:47
I agree with the way people leave a long term rental a lot of the time...I've seen a lot of damage done by renters..my daughters boyfriend just moved into a rental and we are painting in up and putting in a new floor..they will be there a few years..

canarypam
01-01-2010, 15:29
We have a long term rental house in Winter Haven. The last renters left it in an awful state it was absolutely filthy
They were there for around 18 months and I don't think they had cleaned it once! We have cleaned it up painted it and
put some new carpet down and it is up for sale. Having said that we had 2 lots of renters in previously and they left
it spotless.

mrsbabypowder
01-01-2010, 16:07
i have been on an emotional rollercoaster in the last couple of years, with everything to do with FLORIDA and our house. I still love the place and my wish would be to still be there.
Terry is going out in 6 days time, omg what am i going to do? i have to find a good management company that deals with long term rental, i have got all the utilities ready to go on. There is so much that i have to do this end to help Terry afford the bits that he needs, I will be car booting every weekend (please don't let it rain)
Not a sob story - i'm stronger today - i got it out of my system and i have to look to the future. i did say to Terry today that it maybe a good idea to just leave it empty, as the mortgage is affordable, and try and sell it (although its been up for sale with buy owner for 3 years)
i really wished last year when they moved out that a hurricane would destroy it and we could claim on the insurance. lol

anyhow, i really want to say a huge thank you to everyone for reading this thread. it has been so good to let people know that its not always greener on the otherside. Unless you have a lot of money and a great job that you could use in Florida you COULD and i say that with honesty and compassion end up like a lot of people that have tried and failed to live in Florida. To holiday there is fantastic, to live there is hard.

Happy New Year.
xoxo[angel]

reemur
01-01-2010, 19:13
I hope 2010 will be a turning point for your family
You seem a strong person & I am sure things will get better
A happy new year to you & your family[cheers]
Carol

gpullan
02-01-2010, 21:39
Hi.

I don't have a villa so do not have any of the items you are in need of but what i do have is a good pair of hands and would be willing to spend one of our chill out days helping out in February if it would help you? Not sure when there is someone over there in your villa but we fly out on 12th February for 2 weeks.

sunseeker
03-01-2010, 13:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan
Hi.

I don't have a villa so do not have any of the items you are in need of but what i do have is a good pair of hands and would be willing to spend one of our chill out days helping out in February if it would help you? Not sure when there is someone over there in your villa but we fly out on 12th February for 2 weeks.[/quote]What a kind gesture, well done that man. [clap][clap][clap]

Dave

mrsbabypowder
05-01-2010, 12:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan
Hi.

I don't have a villa so do not have any of the items you are in need of but what i do have is a good pair of hands and would be willing to spend one of our chill out days helping out in February if it would help you? Not sure when there is someone over there in your villa but we fly out on 12th February for 2 weeks.
[/quote]

I really and truly want to say thank you for your kind offer, to offer a day of helping strangers is beyond kindness. But he is leaving on the 8th Feb.
Enjoy your holiday and i wish you all the love that i can offer.

Thank you
Elaine

gpullan
05-01-2010, 14:40
No problem at all Elaine, i was happy to offer some help doing whatever was needed.

I hope the trip is a successful one and i wish you all the very best for the future.

As for us, i hope the reports of both cold weather in florida and the continuing big freeze in the UK don't spoil/delay our 2 weeks over there. It's taken some saving for this one so fingers crossed for a bit of good fortune!.

mrsbabypowder
08-01-2010, 10:35
Well an update - Terry got into the US. we were worried, because we overstayed before we left, but he had no problems. which was a huge worry for us, that he would be turned around at the airport. He is going to the house today and tell me the state of the house. get ready i'll put it all on here.......

ncmurray
08-01-2010, 13:30
Fingers crossed that it won't be as bad as you are anticipating!

Nuala

mrsbabypowder
08-01-2010, 14:23
OMG - :( Terry has been round to the house. It has been broken into and vandalized. there is no cooker, fridge/freezer, taps, basins, microwave, door knobs, light switches. i feel so sick. i honestly didn't think it would be this bad. i need to digest what he has just told me. i be back on later

ShirleyCottam
08-01-2010, 14:34
I feel so bad for you, what a nightmare, all you have been through, and now this!

I wish there was something I could do to help, but being in the UK it is difficult to help out!

I hope the weather is good for you Gary, have a great holiday

kitch50
08-01-2010, 15:58
My heart goes out to you Elaine, it sickens me to think that we live in a society where people think that they have a right to do this to other peoples property and belongings without a care for the families that have to live with the consequences of their despicable actions. It makes me so angry and sad on your behalf Elaine and Terry [}:)]:([msnmad]

mrsbabypowder
08-01-2010, 16:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ShirleyCottam
I feel so bad for you, what a nightmare, all you have been through, and now this!

I wish there was something I could do to help, but being in the UK it is difficult to help out!

I hope the weather is good for you Gary, have a great holiday
[/quote]

thank you so much Shirley.

i am sitting here waiting for Terry to download a video he made. why didn't our neighbors see anything? surely it must have taken 2 people to carry the stuff out of my house? what else can happen to us? i never in a million years expected this.
I am renting a house that we have been in since we moved back and it has been decorated, looked after and loved. i would never disrespect anyones property. But it has happened to me. We will never get the chance to own our own house again. This is all thanks to Florida. i need to cry but my kids are at home and i cannot show them how upset i am.
I have given the final choice to Terry - if he wants to leave it and let the mortgage company have it - thats fine, if he wants to do it up and get it rented or sold - thats fine. I have always said what i think we should do. i can't keep wrecking our lives over it. I am so proud of Terry for going out there when he didn't want to.
i am praying so hard that we win the lottery on saturday so that we can buy a house, our own house, somewhere to do up how we want. Where we can invest for our children. Let me dream it saves my heartbreak.[msnsad]

canarypam
08-01-2010, 18:14
Oh no what terrible news for you [:O] Do you have insurance?

mrsbabypowder
08-01-2010, 18:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by canarypam
Oh no what terrible news for you [:O] Do you have insurance?[/quote]no insurance - reason being we didn't know what we were going to do with the house and cancelled the insurance in november and we also couldn't afford it.

things happen for a reason and i am trying to work out what we have done that was so bad to get this.

Shirley G
08-01-2010, 19:10
Elaine,

I sent you a DM about long term rental MC.

mrsbabypowder
08-01-2010, 19:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Shirley G
Elaine,

I sent you a DM about long term rental MC.
[/quote]

Hi Shirley,

i emailed them but i will have to see what Terry is going to do with the house. if its that bad then i'm not going to bother.

thanks so much for your help

elaine

thornton
08-01-2010, 21:09
Elaine, I did send you DM about long term renting, did you get it?

ncmurray
08-01-2010, 23:14
Elaine,

I am so sorry to hear that everything was worse than you imagined it might be. I know it is of no practical use to you, but I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you all at this time, and if there was anything I could do, I would do it for you. Just remember, when you are this low, things can only get better. Hang in there, good times will come again.

Nuala xo

mrsbabypowder
09-01-2010, 00:25
for you total enjoyment - and thank you so much for reading this post. the end 5 are the before photos, how we left our house.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/20101820130_1.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201320_2.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201342_3.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/20101820140_4.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201419_5.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201445_7.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201455_8.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/20101820157_9.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201520_10.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201545_12.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/20101820162_13.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201639_14.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201649_15.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/20101820178_17.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201719_18.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201730_19.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201752_20.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/20101820181_21.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201812_22.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201823_23.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201833_24.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201844_25.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201858_26.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/20101820196_27.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201917_28.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201931_29.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018201941_30.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018202246_1a.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018202258_1b.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018202311_1c.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018202330_1d.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mrsbabypowder/201018202351_1e.jpg

kitch50
09-01-2010, 02:42
Elaine

Your before pictures show you were very proud of your house, I can't believe the after pictures are the same house, I am so sorry for you. If there was any thing I could do to help, I would, I hope you can get the house back to the way it was and get a good MC and some decent people to long term rent from you.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going, and judging from what you have been through these past few years, you are one tough lady, don't let these B%^£$"!?s beat you. I know that is easy for me to say because I am not in your position but I hope it all works out for you because you deserve a bit ot good luck.

Best wishes to you for the future.

SDJ
09-01-2010, 02:43
How awful for you and your husband. He must have a feeling of 'where does one begin'?

I hope it all works out for you during the next few months whatever you decide to do. Some people are just scumbags and the dregs of the earth.

Sandra

owen3
09-01-2010, 03:59
Elaine it is awful, how could people leave it like that no wonder you feel devastated. Hope your husband gets it back to how it was before, they are nothing but scum.
Barbara

florida4sun
09-01-2010, 12:09
To be honest it does not look too bad from the photos, I have seen far worse after long term rental (plenty of advice on here about NOT doing LTR). If hubby is ok with DIY sinks, door handles are cheap and very cheap to replace and the place needs a few days work and some paint. The security deposit should easily cover the damage, so all is not lost.
The pool and garden, I would be going after the MC, pool and garden people, unless you left this to the tennants which is a huge mistake, again plenty advice on here about how to and how not to LTR.
What are you going to do now, pointless putting yourself in the same position again. If you are going to LTR then do it properly with a quality mc and build the pool and ground maintenance into the rent and have an agent check the home regularly.
Even with a good agent it is extremely difficult and slow to remove a bad tenant, by which time the damage is done.
I would urge anyone not to LTR, I have seen the end result many many times and it is usually the above. Very sad and upsetting for the owners. Personally if you are in negative equity after all you have been through, I would walk away. You simply do not need anymore of this.

mrsbabypowder
09-01-2010, 13:04
To be honest it does not look too bad from the photos, I have seen far worse after long term rental (plenty of advice on here about NOT doing LTR). If hubby is ok with DIY sinks, door handles are cheap and very cheap to replace and the place needs a few days work and some paint. The security deposit should easily cover the damage, so all is not lost.
The pool and garden, I would be going after the MC, pool and garden people, unless you left this to the tennants which is a huge mistake, again plenty advice on here about how to and how not to LTR.
What are you going to do now, pointless putting yourself in the same position again. If you are going to LTR then do it properly with a quality mc and build the pool and ground maintenance into the rent and have an agent check the home regularly.
Even with a good agent it is extremely difficult and slow to remove a bad tenant, by which time the damage is done.
I would urge anyone not to LTR, I have seen the end result many many times and it is usually the above. Very sad and upsetting for the owners. Personally if you are in negative equity after all you have been through, I would walk away. You simply do not need anymore of this.[/quote]Hello and thank you for you reply, yes there has been worse condition houses after rental - but this is MY house, and from what i left it like to now is heartbreaking. Unfortunately our house will take more than a few days of back breaking work to clean it up. if only it was that easy to say "a few days work and a lick of paint will make it ok" When funds are as limited as what we have every penny counts. Our tenants didn't pay the full rent since February - and all together stopped in April. Until they moved out in July. Their security deposit was used for the mortgage payments.
It is your opinion not to LTR, but we wanted the security of someone living in our house.
It is so easy to say walk away - this is our last investment - we don't have anything else. We have a British Mortgage, and as they have already said to us, if the take the house, we would still be liable for whatever they couldn't recover selling it. Yes the house is like many others in negative equity. I don't foresee this continuing. and your also right that i don't need anymore of this.

florida4sun
09-01-2010, 13:29
Trust me Florida homes are very easy to get back up to scratch. 2 days for the internals and 2 days to paint the inside. Hire a a paint sprayer. One day to mask everything and 1 day to spray. You will fly through it with a sprayer and it will save you tons of time, giving you extra time for the DIY stuff if you need it.
For the sinks, everything is push fit plumbing, very quick to replace.
As I understand it you are renting in the UK? If so go and see citizens advice and bankruptcy or other options. Put all options on the table and pick the best one for you.

I would urge anyone not to LTR, I have seen the end result many many times and it is usually the above. Very sad and upsetting for the owners. Personally if you are in negative equity after all you have been through, I would walk away. You simply do not need anymore of this.[/quote]Hello and thank you for you reply, yes there has been worse condition houses after rental - but this is MY house, and from what i left it like to now is heartbreaking. Unfortunately our house will take more than a few days of back breaking work to clean it up. if only it was that easy to say "a few days work and a lick of paint will make it ok" When funds are as limited as what we have every penny counts. Our tenants didn't pay the full rent since February - and all together stopped in April. Until they moved out in July. Their security deposit was used for the mortgage payments.
It is your opinion not to LTR, but we wanted the security of someone living in our house.
It is so easy to say walk away - this is our last investment - we don't have anything else. We have a British Mortgage, and as they have already said to us, if the take the house, we would still be liable for whatever they couldn't recover selling it. Yes the house is like many others in negative equity. I don't foresee this continuing. and your also right that i don't need anymore of this.
[/quote]

canarypam
09-01-2010, 16:44
It can be done Elaine our long term rental property was in a similar state in August. We completely repainted it and cleaned it up it took 2 weeks though but was worth it in the end. We talked to one LTR manager and he does monthly
walkthroughs I will try and find his details for you. As has been said you must include pool cleaning into the rent our LTR house doesn't have a pool. Good luck don't give up as this could be a good way of getting back on your feet eventually.

chrizzy100
09-01-2010, 17:51
Its bad when its your place no matter what the damage...
I hope your husband can clean it up..it must be heart breaking...if we move we may rent out our home ..we do it through the State here in MA for the homeless and the State pays the rent and clean up the house...not sure if they do the same in FL..worth a look...they go around to the house to make sure its taken care of and get bad tenants out in days..

Lyn
09-01-2010, 19:08
Elaine, I cannot begin to know how you must be feeling. I know I would be completly devastated and my faith in human nature shattered. I live by a simple rule, do as you would be done by, and I just cannot understand how anyone could do this to someones property. I hope you can find a small amount of solace in that we are all thinking of you and wishing you well.

Fran19
11-01-2010, 17:28
Elaine, I almost cried when I saw your photos. I would be devastated if that happened to me. Maybe we could post something on here and anyone going over there could maybe lend a hand for 1 day or something like that. That way, you wouldn't have to pay to go over there too much and we could all help you get the house back to normal. I am sure there are many people reading this who would volunteer (I know some have already).

florida4sun
11-01-2010, 18:18
Or do it properly in the first place and use a licensed rental agent and have insurance. I would not work on anybodies house that is not 3rd party insured you leave yourself wide open to whole heap of trouble.
In fact the mortgage company would insist on it. Yes it is very sad but this is what happens when you do things the wrong way. Long term rental is a pain in the UK and USA, there are safe guards and insurances you can put in place. If you just stick someone in the house with noone to keep an eye on it, no contract and no insurance (in this case security deposit illegally used to pay mortgage, the renters could actually sue the owners), then what can you expect.
If your going to do something do it properly in the first place, it takes no more time or effort.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fran19
Elaine, I almost cried when I saw your photos. I would be devastated if that happened to me. Maybe we could post something on here and anyone going over there could maybe lend a hand for 1 day or something like that. That way, you wouldn't have to pay to go over there too much and we could all help you get the house back to normal. I am sure there are many people reading this who would volunteer (I know some have already).
[/quote]

mrsbabypowder
11-01-2010, 18:57
Well since my last posting, Terry has done a massive amount - but we found out some interesting information.
When our tenants left, our next door neighbor went in (and was seen) removing items from our house and digging up the palms. (which are actually in her back yard) i emailed her to ask why my palms were in her garden - to which her response was - well they were dying....!!!! i have told her that she can either give me $300 or she has to put them back within 7 days or we will contact the sheriff. Our other so called really good neighbor who actually came over in July to stay with us also was seen removing items.
We are going to get a security company to activate the alarm system and monitor the house.

Francine i want to say a huge thank you for your kind words. Even a hour to help clean the garden and the pool area and the house. I would love to have 1,000's of pounds to be able to hire someone to do it. But being signed off work because of horrendous back problems and Terry having to look after everything we don't have that much money. I am actually trying to sell as much as i can even down to my china collection to get some money - (an no i am over whining - its life) I'm not after sympathy, i wanted to share my life problems - which is happening now and to me and my family. And if this is my therapeutic way of doing it, i will in a few years look back and read to remind me of what happened.

Thank you everyone for your support, your kind words, and your love.

I truly, truly appreciate it.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
Or do it properly in the first place and use a licensed rental agent and have insurance. I would not work on anybodies house that is not 3rd party insured you leave yourself wide open to whole heap of trouble.
In fact the mortgage company would insist on it. Yes it is very sad but this is what happens when you do things the wrong way. Long term rental is a pain in the UK and USA, there are safe guards and insurances you can put in place. If you just stick someone in the house with noone to keep an eye on it, no contract and no insurance (in this case security deposit illegally used to pay mortgage, the renters could actually sue the owners), then what can you expect.
If your going to do something do it properly in the first place, it takes no more time or effort.[/quote]Firstly i would like to say i am not obviously perfect by your standards. I had insurance, but when the tenants vacated we couldn't afford the insurance and we were undecided on what we wanted to do. I would not ask you for one instance to work on my house. so don't worry. You do not have to belittle me - i know i have done things the wrong way - but i have been an emotional wreck in the last few months, and your comments don't actually help me. I have been renting the house i am in now for nearly 3 years, i have had no problems and treated the house as if it was my own. Long term rental is obviously a pain for you, but it is my decision - you have made your views plain in quite a few of the posts. When you are as poor as we are you may see it a little differently. you may realize that you wouldn't be able to afford workers to come in and paint your house, and that you would just have to do it yourself. (god you have made me so angry!) i am one person that would offer help to anyone, if someone needed help, i would be the first in line. (i have even given someone who i worked with but didn't know a place to stay for a week as he was being made homeless!) if i could pull some weeds out of a flower bed and this is all i could do, then i would do it.

I had an agreement with my tenants - signed by us and our neighbors that looked after our house and they acted as management for our house. Let the former tenants sue me for using their deposit (that wouldn't even pay for the repairs) for them to be able to live in my home. they wouldn't

anorak
11-01-2010, 19:51
Hi Elaine, I've been reading your posts from time to time, charting your progress since we met last in Fl.
You may not remember but I came to buy the car you were selling, but we couldn't agree the price so I didn't buy it. At that time you were breeding dogs for sale as well to make ends meet.
You've certainly tried quite a few things to save your Fl house, and I am sorry to read of your latest troubles.
Although obviously you didn't do everything the official way this rental could just as easily be progressing along nicely with the tenants caring for the home properly and paying their rent on time.

Its hard to find tenants who are properly solvent financially at the moment, and its very tempting to take tenants who might be a bit iffy. I have done it myself and sometimes its been OK and sometimes its all ended in tears. But they weren't my tears. I jump on bad tenants quickly and sort it all out one way or the other.
Also I don't rent out any home I have emotional ties to, so that's easier.

Maybe its time to walk away from your Fl home, just let it be foreclosed on, from what you say its not very likely the mortgage company will be able to get anything out of you towards the shortfall so you might as well get it over with, if you think its going to be inevitable anyway.

The nearer a honme is to Poinciana the less its worth right now, as there is so much crime in that area, they aren't selling for much, so its not worth carrying on paying a big mortgage on a house which isn't worth anything like what you owe on it.
Maybe in a few years when you have got back on your feet financially you could buy another home in Fl in a different area??

Anyway, whatever happens I wish you all the best and hope that it all turns out OK for you.

And if you want some 5 gallon buckets of paint I have a guy who sells Glidden for $40, which is a lot cheaper than elsewhere. DM me if you want some phone numbers for good cheap paint.

florida4sun
11-01-2010, 19:57
Look I am not having a go at you personally, I feel sorry for you, I really do. However if you don't do things properly this is what happens. Things happen even when you do it properly but atleast you have some safe guards. At the time you rented you had the this forum, full of advice and especially about long term rental. If you dont take the advice in the first place, what can we do?
You say the insurance was voided after the tenants left, in which case there is no problem as the insurance would have been in place at the time.
The neighbours were managing the home? Sue them! Unless of course they in turn were uninsured and not licensed (illegal again, leaving you wide open for huge trouble).
As for painting the home yourself, that is exactly what I was telling you to do. Hire a sprayer and get it done, interior of home takes two days. 3 - 4 if you are using a roller.
I am offering qualified advice for you (its what I used to do), if you do not want it stop moaning about it. Doing it your way has got you into this mess.
Trust me I have made mistakes myself but I either got over it or lost money. I also took advice when given.
I could actually help you get the money off the tenants for repairs,there are laws in Florida that give you strong case and the money would be deducted from their wages. It's ok everyone being sympathetic but it's not helping you at all. Giving you solid advice that you take on board would help you. If that's the thanks I get then do it your way! Don't moan and groan on here and expect sympathy.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mrsbabypowder
[quote]Originally posted by florida4sun
If your going to do something do it properly in the first place, it takes no more time or effort.

Firstly i would like to say i am not obviously perfect by your standards. I had insurance, but when the tenants vacated we couldn't afford the insurance and we were undecided on what we wanted to do. I would not ask you for one instance to work on my house. so don't worry. You do not have to belittle me - i know i have done things the wrong way - but i have been an emotional wreck in the last few months, and your comments don't actually help me. I have been renting the house i am in now for nearly 3 years, i have had no problems and treated the house as if it was my own. Long term rental is obviously a pain for you, but it is my decision - you have made your views plain in quite a few of the posts. When you are as poor as we are you may see it a little differently. you may realize that you wouldn't be able to afford workers to come in and paint your house, and that you would just have to do it yourself. (god you have made me so angry!) i am one person that would offer help to anyone, if someone needed help, i would be the first in line. (i have even given someone who i worked with but didn't know a place to stay for a week as he was being made homeless!) if i could pull some weeds out of a flower bed and this is all i could do, then i would do it.

I had an agreement with my tenants - signed by us and our neighbors that looked after our house and they acted as management for our house. Let the former tenants sue me for using their deposit (that wouldn't even pay for the repairs) for them to be able to live in my home. they wouldn't get

chrizzy100
11-01-2010, 20:03
Some people have no idea Hon...its easy for me to say take no notice but that would be of little help...most of us here care that you took the time to tell us your story..and I for one hope it helps and can carry on helping..

We all make mistakes...but the price you paid is way more than anyone should...I wish you lots of luck for the future...if I can be of any help...a phone call for a chat...I've been doing that for expats for 9 years now..or if you wish me to check on your home in 6 weeks when I'm in FL just drop me a line in PM..you are also most welcome to let off stream in our Expats forum I think you are a member..if you need a link just PM..[msnsmile2]

anorak
11-01-2010, 20:05
I forgot to mention, if you need door handles and basins etc there is a cheap place for secondhand materials called HabitatforHumanity up along West Colonial (SR50) just a couple of miles off I4 north of Downtown Orlando. Don't bother with the OBT one in Kissimmee, its expensive and not much good stuff.
If you need used locks re-keyed then HomeDepot do it for $5 a lock, thats how you can get all matching keys for your home, or different keys when tenants change.

florida4sun
11-01-2010, 20:07
Chrissy thats just it I have the full idea, the whole picture and experience, yet advice went unheeded. I actually reclaimed two homes for people with bad renters in and repaired one free of charge).

Some people have no idea Hon...its easy for me to say take no notice but that would be of little help...most of us here care that you took the time to tell us your story..and I for one hope it helps and can carry on helping..

We all make mistakes...but the price you paid is way more than anyone should...I wish you lots of luck for the future...if I can be of any help...a phone call for a chat...I've been doing that for expats for 9 years now..or if you wish me to check on your home in 6 weeks when I'm in FL just drop me a line in PM..you are also most welcome to let off stream in our Expats forum I think you are a member..if you need a link just PM..[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Lyn
11-01-2010, 21:00
Telling someone who is in trouble that they brought it on themselves is not helpfull, you may know what Elaine needs to do but your attitude and lack of compassion is not helping. I am sure she would be grateful for any helpful advice but not if it is given condescendingly.

florida4sun
11-01-2010, 21:29
Well maybe advice should have been taken it in the first place, I offered plenty of advice a while back, which was ignored. There are a number of good MCs on the same subdivision.
However if anyone else is more qualified than I on this thread to offer advice, please feel. Or we can just have an endless thread on how sorry we all are, which is getting a little boring. I am pretty sure professional services would have been offered at the time, this is the result you get for not using them, they are not expensive and would be built into the rental. Compassion is not going to help and neither is giving up vacation time to put the house back to square 1. It will simply happen again.
We are not getting the whole picture, as the photos of the pool tell me a completely different story to neglect by renters.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
Telling someone who is in trouble that they brought it on themselves is not helpfull, you may know what Elaine needs to do but your attitude and lack of compassion is not helping. I am sure she would be grateful for any helpful advice but not if it is given condescendingly.
[/quote]

mrsbabypowder
11-01-2010, 21:49
Well maybe advice should have been taken it in the first place, I offered plenty of advice a while back, which was ignored. There are a number of good MCs on the same subdivision.
However if anyone else is more qualified than I on this thread to offer advice, please feel. Or we can just have an endless thread on how sorry we all are, which is getting a little boring. I am pretty sure professional services would have been offered at the time, this is the result you get for not using them, they are not expensive and would be built into the rental. Compassion is not going to help and neither is giving up vacation time to put the house back to square 1. It will simply happen again.
We are not getting the whole picture, as the photos of the pool tell me a completely different story to neglect by renters.[/quote]thank you kindly for your helpful advice. it is much appreciated. i have read everything you've said and put things into motion. i won't keep this thread going and bore anyone anymore, it was my personal experience and that was all.

Elaine

Osceola
11-01-2010, 23:18
Elaine, very sorry to have heard of Terry's discoveries at the villa. I was going to pop round with some tools but didn't know if you all have made the decision to walk away from the property or not.

mrsbabypowder
11-01-2010, 23:37
Elaine, very sorry to have heard of Terry's discoveries at the villa. I was going to pop round with some tools but didn't know if you all have made the decision to walk away from the property or not.
[/quote]

Hello, we have decided to stick with it, he is at the villa until 8 feb. Thank you so much for your offer he could probably use something.

Elaine

Osceola
12-01-2010, 00:56
Elaine, would you PM me with the villa address?

Happy to help.

Karen
12-01-2010, 01:05
Elaine, I am very sorry to hear what has happened to you, we had something very similar happen with Long Term Renters when we first owned our villa 17 years ago. I know how heartbreaking it is, though we did not have stuff stolen. I think that is despicable of your neighbours to do this. Do you know if they have got the other stuff taken from your home? Can the sherif help?

I know you may find this hard, but Martin is doing his best to help, so do go back and re read, he is offering some very valuable advise. I wish we had of had something like this to turn to back when we went through what we did.

Stay strong.

SDJ
12-01-2010, 02:07
Elaine, I have to agree with Karen. Martin - in his way - has been offering you sound advice and assistance. Yes, it does feel nice when people pour in with their offers of sympathy (me being one of them on an early post) but at the end of the day, you need to put your emotions to one side, swallow your pride and listen to what Martin has to say. He is correct that you should have had a Licenced Property Manager handling any LTR rental, and not just signed your paperwork and had your next door neighbour look after the property. Look what happened. That is not 'I told you so' it is fact that this rental was not sorted out professionally with a reputable Property Manager.

I am pleased to learn that your hubby has decided to get on with the work. You have had several offers of help, but again, take heed of what Martin is telling you even if your pride is hurt and use Licensed Contractors. If I was in your position, I would be sending Martin a private message and asking him what to do next. Please also remember that written words sometimes can appear to be harsh, and let us not forget, Martin is going though his own personal huge tragedy with the loss of his son a couple of weeks ago.

We all have our own person tragedies, yours is the loss of possessions, Martin's is a totally different loss and believe me I have been through both and know which is worse.

Good luck and think long and hard before you act in a rush.

Sandra

Frosty
12-01-2010, 03:12
Hey Elaine,
So sorry to read your continuing story. It should be made into a movie, then you could get your money back[msnsmile2]

Martin, if this thread is boring you, well then simply don't read it any more!

Your "i told you so attitude" is obviously not welcome by Elaine, and i resent it on here behalf if not.

She has been through the ringer and doesn't need your "what you should have done" help, she needs help now to get her out of this situation. If you can help her with that then do so, don't remove it just because she didn't listen first time.

Oh and Martin before you come back with some other smart remark, read your own post and then refer to line 2 of this.

Elaine, i don't want to make empty offers of help, i'm sorting my own [bad language filtered out] out at the moment. I hope you understand and as always you have my best wishes for the future.

Your thread is most interesting and stands to all as a warning about the new life in Florida, which you and i have both tasted.

Robert5988
12-01-2010, 03:50
Frosty,

Firstly everyone has huge sympathy for Elaine, and as you say she needs support.

That said, there is another issue here.

Elaine started this thread as a warning to others about the difficulties that can be encountered in living and working in Florida, and several people have contributed thanking her for having the courage to admit her mistake - indeed the thread is entitled 'our big mistake ---'

I have had plenty of 'disputes' with Martin and it is fair to say we have disagreed on several issues.

However what is the purpose of this thread, indeed forum, if not to warn others who might find themselves in a similar situation and advise them of correct procedures?

Put simply, there are lessons to be learned from this situation and sympathy alone(however heartfelt) does not help those who might benefit from those lessons.

chrizzy100
12-01-2010, 04:11
There is a right and wrong way...Martin could of PMed her with his advice...and then posted it in general for everyone else..it only takes a little bit of tack..I know its hard to be understanding when people do something silly time and time again...welcome to my world..but the lady is very upset..and right now she needs someone to listen not make her feel more upset..its not what you say its the way its said..

florida4sun
12-01-2010, 09:05
Wise words from one who knows. Good on you Frosty. You know I had to sell everything pretty darn quickly and leave when I did not want too. Do you see me moaning and griping about it. No, I just got on, yes I lost money and lots of it, much more than the value of a house (not just me, it directly affected some of my owners and friends too). I have full experience of when things go wrong in Florida. It was not self inflicted either. So you are no position to tell me what I can or cannot post. This is public forum and frosty your are not a censor and you are not going like all the answers you get but that does not give anyone the right to dictate what is and what is not posted (accepting certain criteria of course).
I have not been rude, I maybe be guilty of being blunt. I do like to give advice how it is and not dress it up. If you do not like that, then tough.

Hey Elaine,
So sorry to read your continuing story. It should be made into a movie, then you could get your money back[msnsmile2]

Martin, if this thread is boring you, well then simply don't read it any more!

Your "i told you so attitude" is obviously not welcome by Elaine, and i resent it on here behalf if not.

She has been through the ringer and doesn't need your "what you should have done" help, she needs help now to get her out of this situation. If you can help her with that then do so, don't remove it just because she didn't listen first time.

Oh and Martin before you come back with some other smart remark, read your own post and then refer to line 2 of this.

Elaine, i don't want to make empty offers of help, i'm sorting my own [bad language filtered out] out at the moment. I hope you understand and as always you have my best wishes for the future.

Your thread is most interesting and stands to all as a warning about the new life in Florida, which you and i have both tasted.
[/quote]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-01-2010, 11:34
Just a polite note to everyone here [msnsmile]:

Please let's not let things start to degenerate into personal comments as that will be the time the thread is locked and we'd hate to have to do that as the thread contains a very interesting discussion that has lots of valid points from all points of view.

lafifille
12-01-2010, 13:04
I've followed this thread and feel very sorry for what happened to the original poster. I have lived in the US and have known a lot of expats who came down hard. These things happen and it was very brave of Mrsbabypowder to post and tell her story. I'm glad to know that you're trying to bounce back and I sincerely hope it will work out now. My thoughts are with you.

Now, you may not like it, but having myself several LTR, I think Martin has given a lot of sound advice, and if you let it sink in you'll be able to see behind his bluntness. You're going through harsh times, and obviously he is too, so maybe you can understand and forgive it. There has been a lot of compassion on this post, and it's great. It's probably helped you to know that there's still a lot of good people out there. But on the other hand there might be some things you didn't know about in Martin's posts, do take some time to consider the facts he's listing, as they might be of great help. Since you're investing again time and money in the house, it would be a real shame not to take his advice.

Martin, not that it will help, but I'm really sorry about your loss. There's nothing worse than losing a child, and my heart goes to you and your family.

normajohnp
12-01-2010, 13:46
I personally feel Martin is very right in what he say's. Sometimes it takes someone to be very blunt to make you REALLY think about what you intend to do. Kind offers of help are great but very few come to anything more than that so at the end of the day it is YOU who has to take full charge of getting your home back in order and as you have said your husband is only there until Feb 8th he needs to get in touch with the right professional people who have EXPERIANCE in the LTRental business and will ensure it is maintained and looked after properly and he need`s to do it pronto.

Martin may know more about this than I but surely if you employ a reputable M/C dealing in the LTRental market then should they be made financially accountable if the tenants cause damage costing more than the security deposit.

Please do not take this the wrong way but you have mentioned that you are not able to work here at the moment and you are living in rented accommodations and money is scarce. Heartbreaking as it may be would it not be better just to leave it and start afresh later when you are back on your feet. The chances of renting it out and getting enough rental to cover the costs could be difficult at the moment and you may find that it is just a source of worry for you that you could most certainly do without when your health is not 100%.

anorak
12-01-2010, 18:09
I gave the same suggestion as in your last paragraph, I live here in Fl doing nothing but LTR, and do quite well on it too. I don't have any properties in Elaine's area, and would not be able manage one there, its too far away apart from anything else.

This is a time for walking away from a problem home with a large repaymant due every month, specially one around the location Elaine's is in which has seen huge drops in value.

Let it be the bank's problem.Suck it up and move on. You've suffered enough already.

I know it comes hard to make a decision like that but I think its going to be inevitable anyway so why throw good money after bad?

Martin has been somewhat harsh but in this case maybe its needed, even now reality doesn't seem to have dawned on the unfortunate MrsBP.

Anyway Elaine, I hope it all works out for you, even if I don't agree you are doing the right thing commercially.

vickk
28-09-2013, 22:07
I have only just seen this thread and it's a long time since the last post.

I don't suppose Elaine (Mrs Babypowder) will see this but if you do can you post an update. It's been over 3 years since the last post and I would dearly love to know how you eventually got on.