PDA

View Full Version : School Hols Flights Gatwick-Orlando

SandraBulmer
21-06-2007, 03:38
Just booked through Expedia for 24 Jul to 7 Aug on US Airways via Philadelphia. Family of 4 plus full-size car with Hertz for total of £1917. Sometimes it pays to wait!

Hurry, though. I don't think that fare will be around long. And dates a few days either side seemed to come up at quite a bit more. I must have just been lucky to hit on the right dates.

Sandra

pepsi
21-06-2007, 03:52
That is a brilliant price Sandra - well done I bet you are well pleased today.

anorak
21-06-2007, 16:43
Whether its a good deal or not kind of depends if you have a true all inclusive rate with Hertz or if they hit you with some other charges.
If you are going to have to pay heavy other charges it might pay you to forget the Hertz car and book one from this site which is truly all inclusive of all taxes etc.
Hopefully Hertz will be all inc.

SandraBulmer
22-06-2007, 02:30
Anorak, your avatar rather suits your message!

But thanks for pointing out what might not be obvious to seasoned Florida regulars like ourselves. It is an all-inclusive rate in as much as it is exactly the same deal as you would get booking the car direct with Hertz. But I'm well aware that there are a few minor charges (eg additional driver, tank of fuel) which Hertz don't include but others, eg Dollar, do include, thereby often giving the impression that Hertz are cheaper when in fact they usually end up much the same as each other at the end of the day.

And even though Hertz is off airport at MCO, we have just generally had better choice of vehicles, cleaner cars, etc, with them than anyone else. All boils down to personal choice at the end of the day!

Sandra

anorak
22-06-2007, 15:26
Sandra I got my look through going to the school of hard knocks and the university of life. A glass is always half empty to me, I am a bit of a realist, or some might say pessimist.
I don't always prepay with the rental booking for the full tank of fuel as they work it out on a per day basis. If I book a one day hire ( just for transport to/from the airport) I always prepay the fuel as its only a couple of quid extra and there is at least $45 of gas in the tank which I make sure I use (siphon it out for my thirsty pickup). But if its a fortnight then it may be cheaper to pay at the desk for the fuel when you pick up the car.
I often get a Dodge Caliber now as a basic car from Dollar, nice economical car but not much room in the boot, 1 big suitcase, OK for 2 people, not a family.
I have had a Chryler 300 or Magnum estate occasionally recently, big car but terrible visibility from those short windows. And the cupholders are inconveniently situated.