PDA

View Full Version : Budget at Sanford

paul357
19-06-2007, 13:06
Just back from Florida and I just though I'd do a quick write up of Budget at Sanford (booked through this site).

I chose them mainly on price and the current free upgrade offer. I read on here that they don't change their cars as often as the other companies hence the price difference (and the name!). This didn't bother me, but there were a couple of things that did, and might be of interest to anyone else.

I arrived at Sanford, I could not see a budget sign other than a Budget Shuttle sign out side. I followed that, and found the shuttle driver. He redirected me back to the Avis Desk.

Attached to the Avis desk was a smaller unmanned desk with a small Budget sign on it (below desk level), but it was not manned so I started queuing at the Avis desk. Other people arrived after me and just milled about confused. After about 20 minutes somebody arrived to man the Budget Desk, I had to move queues but as I had to get out of the Avis queue I ended up near the back.

As promised by this site there was no mention of any extra's to pay, all very simple. Hand paperwork over, receive keys, simple as that! :D

The Budget car park is actually some way from the terminal (behind the multi-storey to the right of the terminal, for those that know Sanford). The car was not in a Budget space, but I did manage to find it using the horn button on the remote.

The car was a Chevy Malibu, which was a nice size, but I'd guess that the only preparation done to the car since the last person had it was to was to park it! The front looked like it had been machine gunned with flies, and there were stains on the driver’s seat. There were a few scuffs and scratches on the body work as well, but as as it was all cosmetic I was not that bothered.

More concerning was that as soon as I started the car the screen washer warning came on, and trying it confirmed that it was empty. As the car had not been cleaned, the screen was dirty. Luckily we had spring water with us, so I popped the bonnet and filled it with that.

We next tried to fit the car seats and I found that the rear drivers side latch was missing (ie the bit you clip the belt into was not there). I tried fishing for it between the seat and back rest but I could not find it so we had to use the middle seat.

We had to be in St Pete's by 5 to pick up the condo keys from the MC, so we had no time to trek back to the terminal to and do anything about it. Also the person before me had been complaining that their convertible car roof was stuck mid way open so I knew that the person on duty to troubleshoot was dealing with that.

I intended to get the seat belt latch sorted when we got to St Pete's, but I didn't see a Budget while I was there. We just left the car seat to the middle, which was annoying for the kids, but meant we didn't have to waste time finding Budget

When returning the car Budget did not appear on any of the main sign posts directing you to the rental parking area's, we ended up driving right past the terminal before we saw the first sign, and even then it was small.

In short you can get a cheaper deal with budget, but you will probably get a car in noticeably poorer condition, and probably unchecked/not cleaned since the last renter. I'd definitely make sure you are happy with the car before you leave the airport.

If we had more time at Sanford I would have gone back, and I'd recommend doing that if you find anything safety related wrong with a car.

This is not meant to be a criticism of Budget, I'm sure they would have rectified the problems if I'd gone back. I would use them again, but I would factor in time for sorting any problems with the car, and now I know where there desk and car park are they will be easier to find.

If they don't have the free upgrade offer on next time then I would probably spend the extra and go with a renter than provide newer cars, and has a bigger operation at sanford

roger
19-06-2007, 17:08
This sounds like a very unfortunate problem, and certinaly not a common problem. In your case the car had evidently missed out on the preparation hence the state it was in and the lack of water. This might also explain the problem with the seat belt latch as this is one of the standard checks Budget make.

I know it doesnt help you at all now, but this problem could have happened with any of the rental companies.

I recommend you email me (info@uscarhire.co.uk) with your order number and I'll pass this on to them as I know they are keen to hear comments whether good or bad.

I would say not to let this put you (or anyone else) off using Budget as it's not a common problem.

Regarding the desk, the last couple of weeks have been a problem. Until now, Budget have been off-site (with most customers having to get a shuttle bus). Customer booking through us have been able to go to either the Avis desk or the little make-shift Budget desk at the airport. Budget and Avis are actually part of the same company.

Any day now (this may already have happened as scheduled for first week in June) Budget's proper new desk is opening and they have proper car parking allocation with all the other rental companies in Sanford. Because of the change going on, I believe there is sometimes some confusion over the desks at Sanford. As I say, if not already sorted then this should be any day now, but in the mean time Budget advise to speak to any Avis or Budget Staff Member on arrival and they can make sure you are dealt with quickly.

Linda r
20-06-2007, 23:05
We have used Budget at Sanford on our last trip in May and found everything to be fine. The service and the care compared to Dollar which we have always used previously.Like Roger has already said, don't be put off using Budget as we didn't experience any problems at all.

Linda

paul357
21-06-2007, 13:18
Roger

I'll dig out the number and get it to you, as I said its not meant to be too critical, as my need to get to St Pete's by 5 meant that I could not speak to anybody about the safety problems at the time. All the staff I spoke to at the time seemed really helpful and I'm sure they would have resolved all the problems if I'd gone back (I might even have got an upgrade!)

If the desk situation is temporary then thats fine. My main point was that for a first timer its was hard to find them, but once you know where they are its not an issue.

Linda

I would not be put off of budget by what happened, I'd just have factored in a bit more time due to the location of the car park, and the possibility of there being problems. If its actually unusual for this to happen, then all the better, and I'd use them again.

paul357
21-06-2007, 16:16
Ouick Update for anybody reading this, I've since re-read the hire documentation and it does say that the collection point is the Avis/Budget desk in the arrivals hall, so its my fault that i could not initially see the Budget desk. The Avis easy to find.

ShirleyCottam
21-06-2007, 16:41
I had a 7 seater from Budget last year, and it even has a DVD player in the back for the kids!