PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forums

karenhaworth
22-09-2003, 17:16
Hi Everyone

We are new to this forum and so far it seems a great idea.

We have owned our home for about 18 months but up to now have been operating on a leasing arrangement with a MC which was not really working out.

We have therefore taken the big decision to both change MC and also go for our own rentals.

At the moment we have a very empty availability calender. My question is how long does it take to start to build up rentals and begin to generate income. I appreciate that it is like how long is a piece of string but experiences from other owners may be reassuring ( or not depending on the answers)

Colin and Karen Haworth

blott
22-09-2003, 22:56
Hi Karen & Colin

Welcome to the forum. If you've got an empty availability calendar, then you're starting in a very enviable position as almost every enquiry you get you will be able to accommodate!

I don't know if you have a website but one is essential (either DIY or professional) as is joining various websites (like this one!) to obtain enquiries. Do yourselves a check on the search engines using some keywords you think people might use when looking for a Florida home to rent and see which websites come out near the top and then find out if they offer a free trial. That way you can see if they work for your home or not before spending money on some that may not be productive.

When you have been renting for a while, then you'll probably find that people wish to return to your home and also recommend it to their relatives and friends.

If you have any questions, just ask away!

janny
22-09-2003, 23:09
Hi Colin & Karen welcome to the forum .I did exactly the same as you in Jan 2002 and it ws a nerve- racking decision to make .I had website made and put my home on every available listing -especially those that were offering free trials and joined this site and listed my home here too.It took until aparil to get the first booking and that was for June -so I had 6 months empty .Since then it has got better-the only way is up :)I have 39 weeks booked this year and so far have 29 booked for next year.If you can, get you home on the sisiter site to this one http://www.villasflorida.com/ and keep talking about your home to anyone who will listen you never know who wants to go to Florida for their holiday search google for villas for rent ,rental homes by owners ,florida villas for rent etc and find out those who are offering free trials and get on them .It takes a time to gather bookings but don't despair all the people here have done the same thing and will help you out where they can.

sunshine state
23-09-2003, 00:03
Hi there and welcome to the forums.

huckleberry house
23-09-2003, 01:32
Hi Karen and Colin
Welcome to the forums.I am sure you have made the right decision,at least now you will feel in charge of your own property.
If it is any comfort to you I have just started advertising my Villa in earnest for the last three weeks which I bought as a resale with no forward bookings,so far I have achieved 20 weeks confirmed bookings at full price,this is a lot to do with having an availability calendar totally free so every enquiry can be answered,which obviously has helped.I am working on my website now so hope that things should get even better.Definitely get your villa listed with www.villasflorida.com for starters and do a search as others have suggested for any free trials.Or pluck up the courage and pay to be on some of the better known sites.Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Lesley