PDA

View Full Version : extra charges with alamo

pt cruiser
02-06-2007, 18:33
Hi, i've just been sorting out our old paper work from last year (making room for this years!!!) and i noticed alamo charged $110 for carefree personal protection. We usually go with dollar and never had to pay any extra, just wondered if this was something we had to have, fella behind the desk said it was, we thought if we booked the gold option everything was inculsive.
Teresa

Robert5988
02-06-2007, 18:43
I think you will find you were 'conned' and that is nothing to do with car insurance, but essentially 'travel insurance' - lost bags, etc etc.

The desk clerks will try to sell you this to maximise their commission and I suspect you unwitingly signed for it.

chrizzy100
02-06-2007, 18:49
It a lot of cases you have to sign to say you don't want stuff...not that you do...

roger
02-06-2007, 19:00
This is personal insurance which will already be included in your travel insurance (assuming you have this, which you should!)

All car rental companies can potentially offer this to you but usually dont bother to UK residents as they know you most likely have the travel insurance.

If you are offered it and you have travel insurance you can safely decline it.

Always make sure you are not agreeing to take this when you collect your car (unless you actually do want it) as there is no way you can claim this back on your return once you have signed agreeing to take it.

In the past the car rental companies were renowned for slipping extras like this on to the paperwork, but in recent years have become much better as they know it given them a bad name. There are rare occasions that we hear of this happening, but in all cases, the total estimated charges are clearly marked on the paperwork, so never be afraid to ask if you see a charge listed that you are not expecting, or are unsure about.

With all our packages, there are no mandatory extras to pay on arrival. The only charges you should ever see are Fuel (only if on Silver with Dollar, Alamo and U-Save), Child seats if requested, California Tourism Tax if collecting from California and any other *optional* extras you specifically ask for on arrival, such as if you upgrade your car (which we advise against).

pt cruiser
02-06-2007, 21:33
Thanks everone for the info, we'll know next time!!!
Teresa

Dianap
05-06-2007, 15:46
Just arrived, took the offer of the 4x4 with Alamo first time we have used them,they did try to sell us Roadside assistance and push us to upgrade (Brand new Escalade with all the extras for another $400)
Hubby would have liked one[msncry] but stuck with what we had for £217, you go down to the lot and choose you own one, we put our luggage in a very nice Silver Torrent? however when we started the engine ,came up with a warning light oil needed off we go again mostly Jeeps or Rav 4 we choose a Rav 4 Sport in the end really nice, my Husband prefers Dollar he said too much choice ,only because I did not want certain colours etc ,[msntongue] its a women thing !!!
All in All a good deal