PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter coming to Islands of adventure!

LiesaAnna
31-05-2007, 12:14
Universal Orlando has secured rights to the phenomenally successful Harry Potter stories and will build a themed area of rides, shops and restaurants called "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at Islands of Adventure.

Universal, author J.K. Rowling and Warner Brothers Studios, which makes the Harry Potter movies, are making a worldwide announcement of the deal today. Universal expects to break ground late this summer and have "Wizarding World" open by late 2009.

Universal also has announced a new ride based on The Simpsons cartoon, to open next year.

In a news release, Tom Williams, chairman of Universal Parks and Resorts, vowed that the company would "devote more time, more money, more expertise and more executive talent from throughout our entire organization and creative team -- as well as from Warner Bros., our partners -- to ensure that this entire environment is second-to-none."

In the same release, Rowling declared, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

In her Harry Potter books, Rowling created a fictional, magical world of witches and wizards existing parallel to -- yet largely hidden from -- ordinary, contemporary Britain. The stories center on Harry, a young wizardry student, and his friends at a boarding school called Hogwarts. Together, they struggle with schoolwork, family problems, teen angst, young love and evil wizards and witches trying to kill them.

A 20-acre Potter 'Island'

Universal plans a 20-acre "Wizarding World," a little bigger than the average size of its themed "islands" at Islands of Adventure. Part would be carved away from what is now "The Lost Continent" island, and the rest would be land now used for employee parking and park support, outside the back fence.

The new, "seventh island" would feature reconstructed and rethemed attractions, and all-new ones, Scott Trowbridge, vice president of Universal's Creative Studios, said in an interview. The Hogwarts castle and locations from Rowling's Forbidden Forest and Hogsmeade village will be created as backdrops to attractions, shops and restaurants.

Three-time Academy Award-winning production designer Stuart Craig, who designed sets for all the Harry Potter movies, leads the "Wizarding World" design team.

Much of "The Lost Continent" island, including Universal's award-winning Mythos Restaurant, will be retained as a separate themed area, just smaller. The island would remain open during construction as well.

Some current "The Lost Continent" attractions such as The Dueling Dragons roller coasters and The Flying Unicorn coaster ride likely would be adapted to fit the Harry Potter story. Trowbridge would not discuss specific attractions, but did say that Universal intended to "leverage some existing infrastructure." He said that would have to include far more than a new paint job and a new sign, because too much is at stake.

Davis agreed, noting that the large, dedicated fan base that Universal hopes to capture could turn on the resort if fans conclude Universal cheapened the Harry Potter concept.

"We do have a responsibility to all the fans that are out there in the world that have followed the Harry Potter saga through the films and the books," Davis said. "We're taking that very, very seriously. We're going to be true to the books and the films, and make sure that when people come here they're going to be very, very happy with what they see."

sounds exciting!!!!

Spuddybaby
01-06-2007, 17:42
so does that mean that dueling dragons will stay but be redesigned to fit potter lore?
or will they take it doena dn put in an entirely new rollercoaster...?

Hope they dont as Potter is aimed at a kiddie audience, so would hope they dont replace the dragons with a kiddie rollercoaster/ride

so the castle where the rollercoaster starts will be remoddelled to become hogwarts? that would be cool

Nikki D
13-06-2007, 21:38
I am so exited for this. Im thiry six and love everything to do with Harry Potter. It is a long time to wait though[msncry]. Bet we get lots of sneek peeks on here as people are passing during the building work.[msnsmile2]
Im really looking forward to the next book but rather gutted it will be the last.[msncry]

annette_tr9
28-05-2008, 20:05
went to ioa yesterday and you can see the steel framework for the castle in the harry potter bit now. it's going to be massive!!! i will take the photos off my camera later and put them up here

sammibabe
28-05-2008, 21:42
Are the duelling Dragons still open or is this ride close while they adapt it?

andy_d
29-05-2008, 01:24
Looking forward to seeing the photos!

taylona
29-05-2008, 01:28
My kids ...I are looking forward to the photos too!

ali-uk
29-05-2008, 02:39
I went on the web site in January it said opening late 2009 - early 2010, Just checked now and it says late 2009!!!!![clap] We are there last week Nov first week Dec 2009, I really hope we see it, i will be devestated if it opens after we have left.

eagleydo
30-05-2008, 00:21
This is going to be great, we are all looking forward eagerly[clap]

annette_tr9
31-05-2008, 19:26
yes dueling dragons is still open, you can't really see much because they have a massive fence around it, the best view you can get is as you are going up on the dueling dragons ride!!!

this will be hogwarts i guess, it's massive!!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/annette_tr9/2008531152552_harry.jpg

sammibabe
31-05-2008, 20:28
I won't see it then! Glad Duelling Dragons still open as others love it and the littly desperately trying to grow 2" by August to go on all the big rides. I'm happy being the bag carrier[msnwink]

domster
01-06-2008, 15:27
I would be annoyed if they got rid of Deulling dragons as this is one of my fav rides. Hopefully they will be able to create something with other bits of the area.

Sounds exciting.

ali-uk
02-09-2008, 01:07
Harry Potter world is now due to open 2010, [msncry]
We will miss it as we will be there late 2009, i am gutted to say the least.
We will just have to go again in 2011[msnsmile2]

deandog
08-09-2008, 18:10
We are going in mid oct. 09,so am also gutted. Have devised a cunning plan.Gonna hide in the bushes for a few month.[msnwink]

shedenuk
08-09-2008, 19:09
Want some company when hiding in the bushes. We go mid October 09 too.

I am still hoping they work faster than they thought they would and surprise us all.[msnsmile]

sammibabe
15-09-2008, 22:58
Having seen the building they are doing it looks like it is going to be really big. Will have to wait 3 years til we go again but at least it will definately be finished by 2011!!!!

skippy
16-09-2008, 18:21
maybe "duelling dragons" will be the "quidditch" game. I love Harry Potter so can't wait to see it. One thing the park will be very busy come opening.
sue

Padd26
19-09-2008, 08:46
This isnt the best picture as you cant see much from walking past, but the place looks huge! the only things that have shut to make way for the new harry potter area so far are the flying unicorn ride, the enchanted oak tavern and the dragons keep

the photos were taken on tuesday

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/padd26/200891944556_harry.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/padd26/200891944625_unicorn.jpg

angel24
08-10-2008, 00:52
Me and my son are big Harry potter fans and gutted will will miss it as we are going end March and first two wks in April. Well gutted

deb24
10-01-2009, 22:43
Yer we are gonna miss it too. My son is gutted massive fan

CERICROWLEY
10-01-2009, 23:36
When we wer over in October, The unicorn ride was closed as well, as they are probably redoing something with that, Duelling Dragons was still open though.

becbecs
11-01-2009, 15:35
We cancelled this years trip to Florida because of the Harry Porter ride, Florida 2010 hear we come.