PDA

View Full Version : 7 or 8 Seater

Pegasus928
25-05-2007, 13:38
We have booked a 7 seater, through this site s always [msnsmile2], and have had one for the last 2 trips we have been on.
Up to now we haven't had an issue with it, only now we are beginning to wonder if we shouldn't go for the 8 seater as there will be 6 of us on this trip, possibly 7, and all the luggage that that entails.
I'm pretty sure the 7 will cope - even if we have to put luggage on someones knee for the ride to the villa - but wanted to know from anyone that might have already had an 8 seater if you do actually get any more luggage room than you would with the 7.
Also the 8 seaters look pretty boxy and basic from the outside - is this reflected on the inside - does having the extra seat take away any of the comfort and room that you have with the 7?
Would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried both and which they prefer.
Many thanks
Kenny

linda allen
25-05-2007, 14:58
Hi Kenny,
We are in Florida at the moment. For this trip we have hired a 8 seater through OV with Budget.
We have a Ford Expedition. It is extremeley comfortable and spacious, probably one of the nicest cars we have rented.
The only proplem is that with all the seats in use there is very little luggage space. However,the back seat which seats three people can be folded down completely or just one or two seats can be folded down. Another great thing is that you just press a button to fold the seats down.

We have rented 7 seaters in the past through OV with Dollar and Alamo and they have always been very comfortable too.

Sally D
25-05-2007, 19:36
We have hired both 7 seater when there was 5 of us and an 8 seater when there was 7.

The 8 seater from Dollar was huge and had plenty of luggage space, if I remember we had 9 cases and 7 bags of hand luggage, plenty of room.

In fact my husband preferred the 8 seater to drive, he didn't like the 7 seater much.

jolliffee
26-05-2007, 13:19
When we are 7 we always have the 8 seater from Dollar, it will hold all the bags and people with space to spare.

The seat config is Front 2 middle and rear 3 (there are also aircon outlets for each group of seats) behind the last seat is a huge area that will eat the luggage.

It is very very easy to drive and park, also easy to see in any car park.

eagleydo
26-05-2007, 18:10
We usually hire 7 seater for 5 of us and if 6 of us we go for 8 seater. The reasonings are for luggage storage and lots of room,more comfort.

Pegasus928
26-05-2007, 18:18
Sounds as though the 8 seater might be the better option then.
Obviously we don't intend spending too much time in the car, but we just wanted to make sure that it was comfortable and with all the mod cons, as opposed to the mini-buses that are available for hire in this country which always seem to be the most basic of models.
The downside to this of course is that Mrs Peg might see the extra boot space more as a challenge when she hits the outlets, and I'm not sure my wallet could take the double hit of the bigger car and more shopping. (Mizzy I will be relying on you to help me out here [msnscared]) - please[msnoo]

Kenny

Pegasus928
26-05-2007, 18:58
Hi Linda

Did you have to ask for the Ford specifically or is that a standard issue if you go for the 8 seater? we have booked through Dollar so was wondering if we would get the same.
Failing that what are the chances that you could leave it on the drive for us for when we get there? I know a year is a long time for it to be stood alone but I'm sure it will be fine [msnwink]

Kenny

burgessfamily
31-05-2007, 18:56
Hi Everyone

I hope you dont mind me jumping in here.
We went 3 years ago and are due back May 2008.
When we went we had a 8 seater(Nightmare at the Airport fitting in the baggae[V]) for 4 adults and 2 kids one of 3 & 9 months.
My question is

Are the 8 seater now bigger then 3 years ago as we struggled to get us in 4 suit cases, carry on bags & push chair.

I have booked a 12 seater this time from this site for 5 Adults and 2 kids 4 & 8, reading the various posts I think I should go for the 8 seater as
1 it saves cost & 2 its not as big to drive

What do you guys think[?]

Cheers

Burgessfamily

garyenglish
10-06-2007, 18:29
hi all, I'm thinking of renting the ford expedition on my next visit...there will be 8 of us and 8 pieces off luggage large to medium british size cases... do you think we will get away with it ...I dont want to end up in one of those huge prison style 12 seater vans...........or do you think thats the only alternative.
any response will be welcome......thanks

jolliffee
10-06-2007, 19:07
We 5 adults and 2 children always use the 8 seater from Dollar and we have always had the Ford Expedition. This swallows all our stuff and could take more.

linda allen
10-06-2007, 23:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pegasus928
Hi Linda

Did you have to ask for the Ford specifically or is that a standard issue if you go for the 8 seater? we have booked through Dollar so was wondering if we would get the same.
Failing that what are the chances that you could leave it on the drive for us for when we get there? I know a year is a long time for it to be stood alone but I'm sure it will be fine [msnwink]

Kenny
[/quote]

Hi Kenny,
Just got back[msnsad]
The car was great but is only standard with Budget. Dollar is a different type.
I would have liked to stay there till your holiday to look after it for you but alas the boys have to go to school and Bryan needs to go to work.

alastair
11-06-2007, 17:11
Gary,

We had an 8 seater Ford Expedition from Budget in April for 4 adults and 2 children and only got our luggage in by folding down the 3rd row of seats and squeezing 2 adults and 2 children in to the the 2nd row of seats for the journey from the airport to the villa. with all 3 rows of seats in use there is limited luggage space.

burgessfamily
12-06-2007, 22:01
Hi Alastir

Thank You for replying, I think I will stick with the 12 seater.
As we had a nightmare when we came 3 years ago with the luggage.

Thank You

Burgessfamily

garyenglish
19-06-2007, 02:16
thanks for your replys but im still non the wiser as both replys were conflicting....now I have 5 adults and 3 kids aged 8-11
and as mentioned before possibly 8 suitcases medium sized.
I did ask uscar hire for their recommendations and they pointed me here ....so guys I need your best advice I would really prefer the expedition but what do you think.
I take it the seats go 3/3/2 from back to front...how much room does that leave in the boot/back?
thanks for your reply...cheers gary.[msneek]

Sally D
19-06-2007, 02:29
We had the 8 seater from dollar, I think it was an E150.

Plenty of room for 7 of us and loads of luggage.

Pegasus928
19-06-2007, 12:58
We have now decided that we will probably go with the 7 seater. There will be 4 adults and 2 kids, plus 6 cases(ish) and hand luggage. Our reasoning is that we will only need the space for the trip from the airport to the villa - apart from that it's just seat space (Mrs Pegs shopping trips not withstanding)
If for some reason we find that we are struggling at the airport to fit everything in then, as we have booked a flydrive, we will collect the car that came as a freebie, use it to transfer the luggage then drop it off back at the airport when we have done.
Does this sound like a reasonable plan or can anyone see a flaw that we have overlooked.
Kenny

alastair
19-06-2007, 14:38
It sounds as though there is more than one version of the Expedition and it is pot luck which one you get on the day. With all three rows of seats in use there was only room for 1 suitcase behind the 3rd row of seats in the model we got. We asked if there were bigger models available and were advised that the one we got was the only model they had available that day. If Sally got 7 people and loads of luggage in, then she must have had a different model of the Expedition than us.

We only got 6 people and luggage in by folding down the 3rd row of seats and using that space for luggage, with 2 adults and 2 children sqeezing in the the 2nd row of seats.

jolliffee
20-06-2007, 22:45
This is strange, we've had the Ford E150 three times now from Dollar, when we have booked an 8 seater. This had three rows of seats(2 3 & 3) with a huge space behind the last row tha easly hels 7 peoples luggage.

We have booked a 7 seater and had a lot smaller car that allowed the rear seats to fold.

Maybe others can tell us what they got when they booked the 8 seater.

Sally D
20-06-2007, 23:07
Ford E150 -

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/eseries/

Ford Expedition -

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/expedition/

2 different vehicles, we had the E150 from Dollar that had loads of room for 7 of us and 9 cases plus hand luggage.

LorraineC
21-06-2007, 21:19
Hi Everyone, I am only coming in on this now and I am so interested. I am traveling to the US next Wednesday and have booked the 8 seater with Budget. I have an electric wheelchair for my little boy so I am hoping there will be plenty of room!!! We have had the E150 a couple of tiems when we were there, but my Husband was always there to drive. I am the sole driver for the 1st 3 weeks and do NOT want to drive the E150 I hate it so much.

The more info coming up here the better regarding the Expedition etc... Thank you everyone.

trevlad
23-06-2007, 22:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pegasus928
We have now decided that we will probably go with the 7 seater. There will be 4 adults and 2 kids, plus 6 cases(ish) and hand luggage. Our reasoning is that we will only need the space for the trip from the airport to the villa - apart from that it's just seat space (Mrs Pegs shopping trips not withstanding)
If for some reason we find that we are struggling at the airport to fit everything in then, as we have booked a flydrive, we will collect the car that came as a freebie, use it to transfer the luggage then drop it off back at the airport when we have done.
Does this sound like a reasonable plan or can anyone see a flaw that we have overlooked.
Kenny
[/quote]

kenny can you just take that car without paying the extra insurance? i know in the past we left a my travel car and got one from this site, but if so will you have to leave a large credit card deposit for the damage waiver?

Pegasus928
23-06-2007, 23:30
I'm not sure about the answer to that one Trev - was hoping someone on here might

We have the basic insurance with the car but I don't know if we would have to pay for a higher class if we wanted to take it for the week - or even just the day as we would want to bring it back rather than leave it sitting on the drive all week.

Anybody know the answer to this ??

blott
24-06-2007, 02:12
If you're renting through the site linked to the forum, then fully inclusive insurance as well as all tax is included with the rental rates. It's by far the safest (and cheapest) option.

If you're thinking of renting an 'extra' car when you get to Florida from the car rental desk, then you'll incur all sorts of charges for taxes which are normally worked out on a per day basis. You're only provided with the most basic insurance and would need to top this up to be really safe. You'll pay far more than you would if you had arranged the rental in advance via the link at the top of each forum page.

For instance, if you decided you didn't want CDW (or LDW) and were in an accident, then you'd be responsible for covering the loss to the rental company via your credit card which they will have taken a swipe of when you rent the vehicle. If you decide not to take up UMP (uninsured motorist protection), then if someone uninsured is in collision with you, you'd be expected to make up the difference to the car rental company.

We got caught once (only once!) with a 'free' included car from a tour company - the 'free' included car cost us over £500 in charges of one sort or another, that was without having any sort of accident and that was about 11 years ago!

Pegasus928
24-06-2007, 14:43
Thanks Blott

I guess we'll be leaving the 'free' car that we have with Virgin Fly-Drive at the airport then. I'm not willing to pay out the extras just for the sake of a bit more room for the luggage and it is too risky driving it - even for a short journey - on the minimum insurance.

I'll stick with the car that we have booked from the link above - as you said it has everything I need and the passengers will just have to have a bag on their kneee if necessary.

Kenny

garyenglish
27-06-2007, 02:14
looking at the 8 seater......ford expedition....
how much is a cab from the airport to west haven kissimmee?

garyenglish
27-06-2007, 23:41
can anybody tell me how much a cab is from the airport to westhaven in kissimmee? decided to go for the ford expedition 8 seater....but if it looks like we wont get all our luggage in we will get a cab as well
villa is roughly 20 min drive. thanks [msnsmile2]

blott
28-06-2007, 06:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by garyenglish
can anybody tell me how much a cab is from the airport to westhaven in kissimmee? decided to go for the ford expedition 8 seater....but if it looks like we wont get all our luggage in we will get a cab as well
villa is roughly 20 min drive. thanks [msnsmile2][/quote]If you've got another driver available, you may find it cheaper/easier to rent a smaller car for 24 hours for your luggage and then return it to a local rental office. Do the same in reverse when you're coming back.

A taxi is likely to be anywhere from $70 - $100 per trip.

Magical Dreams
29-06-2007, 15:44
The last 8 Seater we hired through Dollar was the Ford F350.

There was a massive amount of space behind the last row of seats far more than the 7 seater.
But there were 8 in the party!

If we've needed o rent a 7 seater then we have always managed to get all our luggage in the boot or inside somewhere! :D