PDA

View Full Version : Luxury Car question about leather!!

Pudders
25-05-2007, 03:46
I know this sounds odd but we are planning to hire a luxury car for next year and they boast leather upholstry etc... My question is.....does the leather get unbareably hot if you have left your car sitting in a car park all day??? Thats gotta be hot on the skin when you get back to it!

I remember my dad having an old Austin Alegro with PVC seat coverings and that was like blistering hot if left in the sun all day!

Your comments appreciated![msnwink]

blott
25-05-2007, 04:04
Leather doesn't tend to get as warm as plastic seat covering and when we had a rental car with leather seats, we didn't notice any difference.

All the cars get hot if you leave them out in the sun. I find one of the biggest problems is the steering wheel and seat belt metal locking bits, both of which can give you a bit of a shock! We take an old towel with us to put over the steering wheel if we can't find anywhere to park in the shade. Alternatively, one or two of those folding sun shields (one back and front) might be a good idea.

ellie
25-05-2007, 04:19
We had a brand new Magnum with 1 mile on the clock in March and leather seats. It was fantastic, very comfortable and we didn't find a problem with the seats, either. The only problem was having to take it back at the end of the holiday......[msncry]

Anyway, you have air con, so as soon as you get back to the car, open all the doors to let the heat out, get in, switch on the air con, shut the doors and you will be cool in a flash, and ready to move off. (NB You should not shut the door with you and the keys outside of course![msnwink])

Hope you have a great time and enjoy your luxury car.

ravtino
25-05-2007, 12:13
We had a 4x4 with leather seats and as Blott says the biggest problem was the steering wheel.
Enjoy!

Linicia
25-05-2007, 14:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
Anyway, you have air con, so as soon as you get back to the car, open all the doors to let the heat out, then switch on the air con, shut the doors and you will be cool in a flash.

[/quote]

BEWARE - If you do this and you have a Durango - make sure you are either in the car or you have a set of keys in your hand. If the door closes with the engine running, the doors automatically lock. We know this as my dearest hubby did this twice, to cool the car, and we had to get a locksmith to get the door open again.

Robert5988
25-05-2007, 15:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:BEWARE - If you do this and you have a Durango - make sure you are either in the car or you have a set of keys in your hand. If the door closes with the engine running, the doors automatically lock. We know this as my dearest hubby did this twice, to cool the car, and we had to get a locksmith to get the door open again.[/quote]

Is that a design feature or was that a fault on that car?

I think all the other Dodge cars(and most(all?) other cars) only lock their doors when the car moves off and reaches about 10mph.

I think you can disable the 'auto door locking' feature. However about 90% of the rental cars I get don't have a handbook, so it is difficult to work out how to do it.

Susan J
25-05-2007, 15:58
Yes the seats do get hot, especially in the height of summer. No way round that, other than to put a sunshield over the windscreen, and leave a towel over the seats -this works fine. We once left damp towels in the car [when we had been to a water park]and they were lovely and dry when we returned, and the seats were really cool!

ellie
25-05-2007, 16:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Linicia
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
Anyway, you have air con, so as soon as you get back to the car, open all the doors to let the heat out, then switch on the air con, shut the doors and you will be cool in a flash.

[/quote]

BEWARE - If you do this and you have a Durango - make sure you are either in the car or you have a set of keys in your hand. If the door closes with the engine running, the doors automatically lock. We know this as my dearest hubby did this twice, to cool the car, and we had to get a locksmith to get the door open again.
[/quote]

I didn't mean that you should shut the doors with you (and the keys) outside! That is always dodgey, as you say. I was suggesting that you got IN and shut the doors, ready to go! [msnoo]

chrizzy100
25-05-2007, 17:11
I don't like leather seats...I find them more sticky than anything else if you're wearing shorts...we've not had our leather seats..(not what I would of picked they were already in the car when we got it)...long enough yet or in the hot weather to know if its a problem...my daughter did find them a little warm yesterday...should know today how they hold up because its hotter here than in FL right now....we had a remote starter on our last car...so the car is warm or cool when you get in it....a must if you live in the USA I think...every car of ours will have one from now on...

A lot of luxury cars come with this..I'd ask...

Chaufeurse
03-06-2007, 00:51
Beware of convertibles in the very hot weather! I had a Chrysler Crossfire convertible with leather seating when I went over on the 11 April until the 28 May and the amount of times I 'burnt myself a new one' when I jumped back in the car was daft of me. I kept forgetting to put a towel in the motor for the seat (too many things on my mind I guess). I used to raise the top (when I remembered!) and lower it when I got in the car which helped ease the blisters on the rump!

Apart from that the leather seats in the Crossfire are so comfortable and overall it's a fabulous vehicle.

Chris