PDA

View Full Version : Shipping companies

KerryandAndy
20-05-2007, 23:10
Hi everyone, can anyone give advice on shipping belongings from the UK to florida, i seem to be getting myself confused with so many companies out there

florida4sun
21-05-2007, 00:03
If its a hole house, it is cheapest get get whole container delivered and pack it yourself. Not sure what teh going rate is but we paid $1800 back to the UK 3 years ago.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KerryandAndy
Hi everyone, can anyone give advice on shipping belongings from the UK to florida, i seem to be getting myself confused with so many companies out there
[/quote]

DaveL
21-05-2007, 00:16
Try www.Moveme.co.uk

esprit
21-05-2007, 03:01
I wouldnt agree about self packing, the remover can only do a proper shipping inventory of contents if they have packed the stuff, if you have packed it they have to open the boxes and root through to see what is in it and will charge for that as if they packed it, otherwise all they can write on the inventory is box, box and more boxes. We had all sorts of problems with this when we shipped our belongings from Florida to Portugal, we self packed and customs wouldnt accept the inventory and insisted on opening the container and inspecting the contents at great expense, plus it seriously delayed the time it spent in customs and we ended up being charged demurrage, total cost was much more than the cost of having had it packed for us. We had a whole container as well. Time again I would have had a giant garage sale and not bothered with shipping stuff at all!

KerryandAndy
22-05-2007, 22:31
thanks guys,

i have had a quote for a 20 ft container for £2900 with delivery in 5-6 weeks, i do take the point of customs and the paperwork though. A garage sale sounds the best idea but i have collected so much rubbish i love over the years i couldnt do it. Did you have recommended companies or was it hit and miss, i have had really different quotes from a number of companies on the internet?

Milly
23-05-2007, 00:45
Hi Kerry

I have just DM you as I work for a shipping line that goes into Tammpa

Dianne

esprit
23-05-2007, 01:50
Be careful with just getting quotes on the internet, there are some right cowboys about, I wouldnt recommend the company we used.

florida4sun
23-05-2007, 03:53
Even if the shipping company packs it they can still get held up in customs, its luck of the draw. We self packed both ways and I know Roger has just done the same. You do need a trustworthy shipping company who aret going to take any liberties.
They did require a witnessed inventory. although I know things have changed somewhat since sept 11th.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
I wouldnt agree about self packing, the remover can only do a proper shipping inventory of contents if they have packed the stuff, if you have packed it they have to open the boxes and root through to see what is in it and will charge for that as if they packed it, otherwise all they can write on the inventory is box, box and more boxes. We had all sorts of problems with this when we shipped our belongings from Florida to Portugal, we self packed and customs wouldnt accept the inventory and insisted on opening the container and inspecting the contents at great expense, plus it seriously delayed the time it spent in customs and we ended up being charged demurrage, total cost was much more than the cost of having had it packed for us. We had a whole container as well. Time again I would have had a giant garage sale and not bothered with shipping stuff at all!

[/quote]

chrizzy100
23-05-2007, 03:59
I'd leave it all behind...and start again....its a new country new life....[msnsmile2]

florida4sun
23-05-2007, 04:24
Depends what you got, we had some seriously expensive stuff. If its just tat then I agree there is no point. Also had two young children and it would have been heartless to throw all there toys and favorite things. 2 electric wheelchairs worth over 10,000 not the sort of thing you can just throw away. Very large collection of PS2 games and DVDs. £3000 worth of moun tain bikes. Not mention the sledge.......

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I'd leave it all behind...and start again....its a new country new life....[msnsmile2]

[/quote]

chrizzy100
23-05-2007, 05:51
Most of our stuff we just 'had' to bring is still in the basement...I don't think my son played with one toy that came over....if going to FL none of our stuff would of looked right in the houses there...thats why we got new for the FL house...we have 200 PC games and hundreds of films that we are just throwing out now after 7 years of being in a closet..glad I never paid for it all to come over.....

palmvillas
28-05-2007, 09:10
We have just had our furniture shipped over to Vietnam the company arranged everything,i will have to wait and see if we get our things on time and in one piece.I wish we had not shipped as much and bought more here because waiting 8 weeks with only basic furniture is not nice.At least in the US everything is easy to find its not like that here.

Debbie

flyrr100
30-05-2007, 05:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Very large collection of PS2 games and DVDs. £3000 worth of moun tain bikes. Not mention the sledge.......

[/quote]

I'm sure you know..... but. Make sure you have a DVD player that'll play your region 2 DVDs here. Your DVD player is probably 240 volts, and a US player will only be for region 1 DVDs.
Hint... go on ebay and buy a multi region player. I have a JVC that was around $50. I havn't seen any HD multi region players yet. But I'm sure they're on the way!
I think the same may go for PS2 games, but not 100% sure.