PDA

View Full Version : First time driver

ianconway
20-05-2007, 21:59
We've just got back from our two week holiday having never driven or hired a car in the US. We booked through uscarhire using Dollar car rental which was fantastic. We hired a SUV as we wanted to sit a little higher on the road. We figured that all the vehicles over there are so much bigger, we didn't want to be intimidated in a small car. It took four adults and luggage comfortably with ease.

Prior to going we signed up for Dollar express, which allowed us to jump the queue and get served faster. We flew with First Choice and believe me their car hire line was huge. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

We had no problems with any aspect of the rental, I must say it's a bit strange driving on the other side, but doesn't take much time to become use to it. I would thourghly recommend uscarhire and couldn't fault them. However we did hire the sat nav system which did misdirect us on several occasions. A small problem, which we overcame with a good map.

If you've never driven over there, take your time. Remember to pay for your fuel prior to refueling at the pumps. On our model of car you couldn't take the keys out of the ignition unless you where in the Park setting of the gear box. We averaged 16 miles a gallon, but at less than $3 a gallon it wasn't too bad at all.

We were a bit confused at first with four way junctions. Its first come first to go, which seemed to work very well over there but wouldn't work at all in the UK.

If your looking for a cheap and reliable service, use uscarhire and if you've never driven in the US don't worry its easier than you think.
[clap]

ShirleyD
20-05-2007, 22:21
Glad it went well Ian. I drove for the first time back in November and I loved it. Uscarhire are great even for really last minute car hire :D

andrewandcarole
20-05-2007, 23:58
Great to hear it went well Ian.

Many people are nervous at first - but once you've done it, driving in Florida is no problem is it!

Carole

E. Cosgrove
21-05-2007, 00:10
After many years of procrastinating, I finally got behind the wheel in Florida about 3 years ago.
I've never looked back and it's great to have the freedom and not have to rely on hubby for a trip to the shops [msnsmile2]
As for uscarhire I don't think you can beat them[clap][clap]

ellie
21-05-2007, 00:28
Many people are very nervous about driving in Florida, so your comments are really helpful, Ian, and will give confidence to many.

I have to agree that US car hire are wonderful.

I am glad you had such a positive experience. Just think, next time you go you will think driving is a breeze.

Now all I have to do is persuade my husband that after over 10 years of visiting Florida, I might just be capable of driving! [msnwink] The only time I get to drive is if my son and I go to Walmart.

Pudders
21-05-2007, 02:55
Glad you found it ok out there - parking spaces are massive out there!!!.... it seems so different when you get back to good ol blighty!!!

we've had 2 SUV's in the past and they are great fun!!... although next time we are going for a luxury car as we're getting married out there and seems more appropriate!

ShirleyD
21-05-2007, 03:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pudders
Glad you found it ok out there - parking spaces are massive out there!!!.... it seems so different when you get back to good ol blighty!!!

we've had 2 SUV's in the past and they are great fun!!... although next time we are going for a luxury car as we're getting married out there and seems more appropriate!
[/quote]
How about a convertable.there is something great about driving with the lid off :D

smiler
21-05-2007, 04:41
Everytime we go over (and we just got back almost 2 weeks ago) Davy keeps telling me I am going to drive, but still haven't plucked up the courage. Next time[msnscared]

Angie

Ian Dee
21-05-2007, 13:01
So Ian I presume you were driving from Sanford?
You would therefore be 'out' much quicker than from MCO, how did you find getting to the motorways from Sanford?

ianconway
21-05-2007, 20:00
Yeah we drove down from Sanford. We used the 419 toll road which was great. Not too busy. I think you could use the I-4 but it's much busier.

The road was well sign posted, however the junctions pop up really quickly after the signs. You'll need several dollars worth of change for the tolls.

chrizzy100
21-05-2007, 20:29
I live in the USA but until last year never drove in FL...its a lot easier than where I live...and the people drive a lot better too...having to know what direction you need to drive got me at first.....but that was about it...