PDA

View Full Version : EBAY SCAMS

florida4sun
17-05-2007, 20:56
This week I have been contacted by 3 seperate people who have been scammed by buying tickets off ebay. The latest is for £500 worth of 7 day base tickets. The scam was clever and everything appeared in order but no tickets have turned up and no protection is offered by ebay as the paymnet was made outside of there remit (the online forms looked official).
The saving on the tickets was not great, don't risk it!!!!!

mfairhurst
17-05-2007, 21:23
Why can you have a site like ebay not giving any protection .
May be we need someone watching over the owners of ebay .IE:trading standards .
They must be heart broken and bought on credit card as well .
Was looking at villas in FLORIDA on there for rent and some normal prices also some cheapos .[msnmad]
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

florida4sun
17-05-2007, 21:38
If you follow ebay's guidelines then you are covered, this scam was very clever and makes people think they are doing the transaction within ebay.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
Why can you have a site like ebay not giving any protection .
May be we need someone watching over the owners of ebay .IE:trading standards .
They must be heart broken and bought on credit card as well .
Was looking at villas in FLORIDA on there for rent and some normal prices also some cheapos .[msnmad]
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx
[/quote]

orlandochris
18-05-2007, 11:59
I personally would never buy anything like that from ebay. For me it's the same as buying from a roadside booth in Orlando - it's just not worth taking the risk with that amount of money involved.

paul357
18-05-2007, 12:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandochris
I personally would never buy anything like that from ebay. For me it's the same as buying from a roadside booth in Orlando - it's just not worth taking the risk with that amount of money involved.
[/quote]

The problem is that e-bay seems more legitimate than a site like this (no offence intended!), when in fact its a magnet for scammers (e-bay ....not this site [msnsmile2]).

orlandochris
18-05-2007, 13:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by paul357
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandochris
[/quote]

The problem is that e-bay seems more legitimate than a site like this (no offence intended!), when in fact its a magnet for scammers (e-bay ....not this site [msnsmile2]).

[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more to be honest. When it comes to tickets this site seems far more legit.

florida4sun
18-05-2007, 13:55
How does ebay seem more legit? (although I do get the point you are trying to make). Disney do not allow there tickets to be resold on teh secondary market - (although ebay do allow it), you are buying from a stranger and not a business with an open public forum. You can check with teh parks as to wether we are legit, you cannot do this with an ebay seller. With ebay tickets you have no idea wether the tickets are used or not!
I have bunch of used tickets that i could easily sell through ebay, make thousands and noone would complain until they have been tried to use them. In the mean time I would ahve closed my ebay acount and the buyer has no come back through ebay.
Buying anything from an autcion is a risk, why anyone would risk hundrerds of $/£ on tickets they do not know are valid is beyond me. For not much extra (and sometimes less) you can buy from a genuine source.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

[/quote]

Albert the Frog
18-05-2007, 14:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
How does ebay seem more legit? (although I do get the point you are trying to make). Disney do not allow there tickets to be resold on teh secondary market - (although ebay do allow it), you are buying from a stranger and not a business with an open public forum. You can check with teh parks as to wether we are legit, you cannot do this with an ebay seller. With ebay tickets you have no idea wether the tickets are used or not!
I have bunch of used tickets that i could easily sell through ebay, make thousands and noone would complain until they have been tried to use them. In the mean time I would ahve closed my ebay acount and the buyer has no come back through ebay.
Buying anything from an autcion is a risk, why anyone would risk hundrerds of $/£ on tickets they do not know are valid is beyond me. For not much extra (and sometimes less) you can buy from a genuine source.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more I only ever get low value things from "personal" e bayers but do use the site to buy other stuff through people's shops- at least then if I am getting referred to a business site I do have-in the majority of cases-some comeback. i would never dream of risking my holiday with dodgy tickets. In truth after searching there is not a massive difference in the price of tickets on legit sites-I would always use one I trusted.

paul357
21-05-2007, 17:33
What I meant is that e-bay is a household name, giving it a false sense of security when you buy. Lots of businesses trade through e-bay giving it an on line shop feel in many cases. People wrongly assume that you are protected by paypal, or your credit card. The reality is you have no real comeback, and it attracts a lot of scammers.

This site is difficult to beat on customer service, price, etc but to someone new it might look a little more risky (especially whent he prices are better than most). I have seen posts in the forums asking if its safe to book villa's here! Obviously once you scratch the surface then you see the reality, which is why I recommend this site to anyone who will listen!

Paul

paul357
21-05-2007, 17:51
As it was a well executed scam, it probably didn't look like secondary sales. You could sell genuine new tickets via an e-bay shop at your current prices (unless Disney don't let you), and that would be totaly legitimate.

To the everyday user it would probably look safer than this site.

Of course the reality is that to set this site up with all the forums and feedback etc would take much longer than an e-bay scam!

Hope I didn't offend anyone [msnembarrased]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
How does ebay seem more legit? (although I do get the point you are trying to make). Disney do not allow there tickets to be resold on teh secondary market ...

[/quote]
[/quote]

ali-uk
26-05-2007, 13:55
I havent bought tickets from this web site, but would next time i went to disney [msnsmile]

We have just been scammed with e-bay, not for Disney tickets though. My husband bought 4 tickets for Wembley in June to see Muse, these tickets never came and i was suspect about it as soon as the e-mail confirmation came through, i kept an eye on that account then realised that other people didnt get theres before we were due ours. We all contacted PayPal ( thankfully we paid with them ) and got a full refund in 10 days[msnsmile2].
I have bought tickets for gigs from e-bay before with no problems sometimes it very hard to tell if they are real or not. We wont be buying from there again.
Isnt this site backed by Disney to sell their ticket for them??
Ali

maisy
26-05-2007, 14:11
We also have seen tickets advertised on ebay which are half used I dont think these are cheap and would never take the risk
What I cant understand is how can second hand tickets get by Disneys bio scan technology Also why doesnt this site name and shame these people identified on ebay.I have seen sellers on ebay and it is the same people all the time some even have positive feedback how ??

florida4sun
26-05-2007, 16:39
Wish we could name and shame but we would only end up getting sued!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by maisy
We also have seen tickets advertised on ebay which are half used I dont think these are cheap and would never take the risk
What I cant understand is how can second hand tickets get by Disneys bio scan technology Also why doesnt this site name and shame these people identified on ebay.I have seen sellers on ebay and it is the same people all the time some even have positive feedback how ??
[/quote]

Pegasus928
27-05-2007, 05:50
Positive feedback - though a very useful tool in 99% of the cases - is extremley easy to get. If you have the time - and most of the scammers do as they do nothing else but scam - all you have to do is sit at the computer generating a new user account every 5 mins then - over a short period of time - use these new accounts to 'buy' something and leave yourself positive feedback.
I read of a case where someone did exactly this, building up his rating and the confidence of his potential customers before selling hundreds of items over a couple of days (I think they were I-pods) at a very low price. Needless to say no-one got their i-pods and the scammer made off with a lot of money for little effort.
One way to help notice this is by checking the feedback score of the people leaving the feedback - if that makes sense. If all of the people leaving the feedback only have a very low rating I would be tempted to give it a miss.