PDA

View Full Version : Cashpoint Machines (ATMs) in Orlando and Parks

eitherorlando
19-09-2003, 20:36
How widespread are cashpoint machines around the Orlando vacation area, please? Do they accept Visa, Master card, Cirrus and/or Maestro, and do they charge in addition to your own bank's charges?

Many thanks,
Frank

coombsyl
19-09-2003, 22:41
You will find them in the entrance to most supermarkets and also in the Parks. When you get your park map, they are shown on them (note that the first one in MGM is actually outside the gate otherwise you have to go right over to the back of the park).

We use our switch cards to get cash and have used our credit cards with no problems at all. I think your bank charges you but it's not much - maybe someone else can fill you in here. I use them for convenience and don't take much notice of the charge [:I]

sarahjk
20-09-2003, 00:34
Hi

There is a charge made usually but with our bank it was only 2.5% so we did tend to take out the money in max chunks whenever we needed it and we also paid by debit card alot to prevent the charges from mounting up but all banks are different so I would check with yours first so that you know where you are

Sarah

Jill
20-09-2003, 00:59
We have a Nationwide credit card and current account that we use when we go abroad because they give a much better exchange rate and they do not levy a handling fee. We did a test at Christmas in Publix my husband paid for some of the shopping with a Halifax card and I used the Nationwide card he got an exchange rate of 1.55 and I got 1.59. This might not seem very much but it soon mounts up when spending large amounts.

blott
20-09-2003, 02:34
If you've got a credit card which charges a fee for transactions in a foreign currency (mine's 2.75%) then obtaining currency via an ATM is the same as a cash advance in the UK and you pay whatever charges they make for that on top of the foreign currency charge. Check out the back of your statement to see how much that could add up to. Cash advance charges via a credit card at an ATM are usually per day!

It's always cheapest of all to take either currency or travellers' cheques with you, particularly if you get the commission free ones, if you have a credit card which charges a foreign currency fee.

eitherorlando
20-09-2003, 03:08
Great info. You've all been very helpful.

Thanks,
Frank

chrisj
20-09-2003, 03:12
nationwide debit card dont charge at all, ive just upgraded to one and on a business trip
wasnt charged and they said its the same for florida

shame i didnt upgrade for this years trip, but next year im sorted

also as said above there are ATMS almost all over

Gillian-B
24-09-2003, 21:31
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

nationwide debit card dont charge at all, ive just upgraded to one

No charge and good exchange rate! Even better - first six months interest free credit on Nationwide credit cards, even on cash withdrawn at ATMs :D.

chrisj
25-09-2003, 02:14
im off to Cyprus soon and its great, just going to take away £80 in the ir currency and
draw money out as and when, and no charge yippee. I just hate having a lot of money on
me, so the nationwide have come up trumps as far as im concerned

Chris