PDA

View Full Version : xmas in florida

coopers14
13-05-2007, 00:50
hello everyone, Just new to this very good site,I need loads of help ,going to Orlando 15/12/07 for 5days 2days Miami and then cruising ,I am taking mum 85 daughter 15 and havent done it before .Any tips on hotel Orlando we like it nice,plan to do at least 2 parks but which ones suitable given ages,not animal kingdom they dont fancy that,also best car hire and where do I hire from because I will need to drop off in Miami before taking ship,need an hotel there as well any tips.When you are new you just dont know what to expect or where to eat ,we like to eat healthy ,dont know which resurants to pick in the parks .Will love to do night parades and shop .We are all quite fit ,but dont want to over kill it ,hope to get some ideas from all you guys,[sporty]

KarenScott
13-05-2007, 01:38
Welcome to the Orlando Villas Forum, you will find plenty of information on here to help you plan your trip.
If you look at the links above you may find that a vacation home may suit your party better than a hotel, take a look. Also for car hire, take a look at the above links, very competitive too.

Happy searching and have a brilliant time in Florida.

Karen

ShirleyD
13-05-2007, 01:38
Hi Elaine, welcome to the forum :D Now if you want nice accommodation, you just have to stay in a villa!!! Your own pool, with maybe a spa and loads of space. You will find owners who will rent for 5 nights at this time of year on the links above. There is also a link for car hire. They will do 'oneway' rentals within Florida.

I love MGM, there are some scarey rides for teenagers and some great shows for those who like a slower life :D

mfairhurst
13-05-2007, 01:47
As others have said a villa is a lot more private than staying in a hotel and you get your own pool as well .
Also your mother would enjoy the space and to stay in or go out for meals .
As for you and your daughter you are not far from all the attractions .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

MTP
13-05-2007, 04:17
Welcome to the forums - you should find a lot of very useful advice on these forums, albeit we are obviously very pro villa holidays, rather than hotel stays. Given the group that you are travelling in, however, I think that this is an ideal example of where renting a villa comes into its own - all together, but everyone has their space and privacy. For car hire and theme park tickets I also don't think you will find a more competitive price than those quote by the links at the top of this page.

If I was to choose two theme parks for your group I would recommend Magic Kingdom (classic good fun) and Sea World (less hectic, but a lovely atmosphere).

Please feel free to ask more questions and keep us all posted with your planning/thoughts and of course, your trip report!

Bookworm
13-05-2007, 04:33
I can only second what the others have said about renting a private villa over a hotel - we are biased, but after our very first stay in a villa three years ago, we would never choose a hotel again, especially as we have a young child. You say you like to eat healthily and in a villa you can prepare exactly the same meals as you would at home - the difference is you can sit and eat them on the poolside[msnsmile2]

With regard to theme parks, our favourites are SeaWorld and MGM Studios. Check out the links on this site for special rates on tickets, and also for excellent car rental. We have used the links here for tickets and car hire and have always been very impressed with the price and the service.

Enjoy your planning!

Joanne

Susan J
13-05-2007, 04:39
Welcome!
I have taken elderly parents with me to our villa- and I know they still enjoy theme parks, but they would not enjoy a hotel. At that age, they need to have comfort, relaxation, peace and quiet. Mine enjoyed pottering around the villa, with a fridge full of good food, and a cup of tea when they wanted it - the thought of leaving them on their own in a hotel with maid service, and no drinks to hand would have been awful.
I would suggest a villa with a pool [you know, if it is nice and warm, with no one else in, your Mum may enjoy a dip in the kiddy pool or shallow end] and a view - lake or conservation to provide interest if you were out.
Your Mum would like any of the parks, but I think my Mums faves were Magic Kingdom, MGM, Universal and Epcot -and Sea world, which has lots of sitting down opportunites and shows.

Nikki D
13-05-2007, 12:22
Welcome to the forums and like everyone says you can never have a better time in florida than in your own villa. After staying in one it would be a nightmare to go back to a hotel room now.
As for parks I love the layed back parks like MGM and universal. [msnsmile2]

christhear
13-05-2007, 13:22
I agree with Sea World as one of the parks for your Mum but I'm not sure about the other. A lot ofit would depend on how lively an 85 year old your Mum is. As its starting to get bust at this time of year another Option could be Cypress Garden. Plenty of rides for your daughter but plenty of other things for your Mum, animals, nice Gardens, shows.
I also agree with everyone else about the car hire link, you will have no problem with one way rentals here.
Also a villa would be a great idea as you are definately going to need more than 1 hotel room.

Appledore
14-05-2007, 02:04
I'll second the above comments on the villa.

And would definately include Sea World, plenty of sitting but also a couple of brilliant rides
for you daughter.

Have a wonderful holiday.
Regards Elaine

mizzy
14-05-2007, 02:22
hi there

welcome to the forum, you will have a lovely time planning your holiday and if i were you i would definately consider a villa, you will have all the convenience of home (cooker, washer dryer etc) and your very own heated pool[msnsmile]

the best thing about a villa is all of the above plus not being cramped in one room having to all sleep and wake at the same time and not having to take home suitcases full of dirty clothes

it will be my 3rd time as a guest renting a villa from links via this forum and i would highly recommend you enquire

parks wise i would say take it slow and steady, seaworld is good for a quieter park and cypress gdns has been recommended on here too, i've yet to visit this park but hope to remedy that on our next trip

you're going to have a great time so happy planning

Mizzy

Nikki D
14-05-2007, 03:20
Yes Mizzy is right there Cypress Gardens is great for all the family. The gardens are just like mine at home[msnwink] The gardens are lovely there and he park is so layed back which make a lovely change from the normall. You also have the water park to look forward too at the top of the park for a well earned cool down [msnsmile2]

ellie
14-05-2007, 15:29
Hi and welcome. I am sure you will all have a wonderful holiday - that is the beauty of Florida and Orlando, there is something for everyone. As others have already said, you cannot go wrong if you choose a lovely villa to stay in.

I won't repeat the very useful advice you have been given, but here are some tips for the cruise.

As far as the cruise is concerned, you will need to drive down the Florida Turnpike to get to Miami, but I would suggest going overnight, as you need to make sure you are there in good time. Miami is nearly 250 miles from Orlando, and although the road is good I would never risk going down on the day, as if you had any delays the ship will not wait for you. There would be nothing worse than seeing your cruise ship sailing out of Miami without you!

We normally go down the day before and check into a hotel overnight. I would choose one near the airport as the Dollar car hire depot is nearby - we have our favourites, but most are within a short drive of the airport. If you choose your hotel carefully you may find one which offers a free shuttle to the port in the morning. We often drop off the car the night before, and take a taxi back to the hotel so that in the morning we have nothing to do but eat a lazy breakfast and get ourselves to the port in good time for embarkation. In fact, doing it this way means that only one of you has to drop the car off, and you don't have to take your luggage with you - the rest of the family can relax at the hotel while you take the car back.

However, if you drop the car off on the morning of your cruise there is a free shuttle from the car hire depot. Try to get there reasonably early as after midday it tends to get quite busy, with people dropping off cars ready to go to the port. The shuttles can get very crowded, and because they drop off people at several different ships it can take a while, especially if your ship is the last one.

We usually get a taxi to the port from the hotel, as we like to be there early, and despite what they say you can normally embark around midday - and beat the crowds. They always have lunch for you on board, and although you are unlikely to be able to access your cabin before about 2.00 pm you can sit in the restaurant and watch the world go by.

I have written several articles on cruising out of Miami, and about the Florida Turnpike, so if you do a search in the Florida Guide you should find some more information which might be useful.

You will not do better than the car hire link above.

Have a great time, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Nina A
14-05-2007, 17:39
Welcome to the forum. You are so lucky your 85 year old mum is fit enough and eager to travel. My Mum is 83 and my father in law 86. They both feel unable to travel far and it breaks my heart that they will only ever see our homes in photos and on video, we know they would love them. If only we could beam them up Star Trek style! It's my dream for all the family to be in Florida over Christmas but I know it will never happen [msnsad].

You will all have a brilliant time and I agree with everyone who says a villa would be best. As to where to go, then Cirque du Soleil at Downtown Disney appeals to all ages. If you want something other than a theme park then Mt Dora is an easy drive away now. It's a quaint place and a boat trip on the lake is well worth doing.

A gentle stroll round Celebration is also good especially at Christmas when it 'snows' at night and all the homes are beautifully decorated.

Everyone would probably enjoy 'Ice' at the Gaylord Palms Hotel. The tree and decorations at the hotel are fantastic too.

Enjoy! We know you will[msnsmile2]