PDA

View Full Version : Types of Golf Courses

Fintan
11-05-2007, 03:21
Hi Folks,

This may be a silly question but im gona ask it anyway....

Are all the golf courses in Orlando Parkland Courses or are there any Links style courses there?

Were planning a trip around the end of October to play a lot of golf and my uncle has always had a prefrence for links so wanted to see what was on offer.
I have had a look at the golf websites but they dont all state the type of course.

Thanks for your help.

Fintan

Jill
11-05-2007, 13:39
Try Southern Dunes an excellent course designed by Steve Smyers with 100' elevations, which are not typically found in Florida. It has its own website so you can log on and get a look at the course and if you type in your email adress into the specials heading you get a discount.

"Five sets of tees welcome golfers of all skill levels to enjoy risk/reward opportunities through extensive mounding and strategically placed bunkers. The design is enhanced by the well maintained playing surfaces. Southern Dunes receives rave reviews from local and visiting golfers alike."

blott
11-05-2007, 16:44
The Royal St Cloud Golf Links is the only links style golf course I can find in the immediate Orlando area.

Driving directions from the Disney area: Royal St. Cloud Golf Links is an easy 25 miles from the Disney area. (25-35 minute approximate drive time)

Take Osceola Parkway to the Florida Turnpike
Take Exit 244 to Hwy 192, turn left.
Go 4.6 miles to Vermont Ave, turn right.
Take Vermont 2.1 miles to Creek Woods Road, take a left.
Go only .7 miles to Michigan Ave, take a right directly into the Golf Club.

Statistics Par 72 Yards Rating Slope Blue 7111 74.6 128 Gold 6680 72.2 125 Green 6083 69.2 115 Citrus 5531 66.6 111

For more information please call at (407) 891-7010.

Have a great time. :)

RIS
11-05-2007, 20:43
While strictly speaking Links Golf should be by the seaside for a flavour of links golf in Orlando you could try the New Course at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort. See below.

The New Course
Whether you are an avid golfer, an occasional player or just beginning this fun but challenging sport, The Grand Cypress Golf Club provides golfers of all levels the largest selection of exceptionally challenging greens and fairways in Orlando! Recognized by recreational golfers and experts alike as the premier Orlando Florida golf resort, Grand Cypress features 45 holes of Jack Nicklaus Signature Designed golf with four unique course combinations, offering a truly grand playing experience for everyone.

The New Course adds another dimension of play with steeper and more challenging bunkers and slopes. Set in the midst of an open meadow, the New Course is Jack Nicklaus' tribute and homage to the famed Old Course at St. Andrews, Scotland. This Scottish links masterpiece is complete with double greens, stone bridges and walls, gorse mounds, burns, and pot bunkers as deep as 12 feet.

Very little water comes into play on the New Course and very few trees are located within the interior of the course, creating plenty of room to drive the ball. However, even the best of drives will be challenged, as even a slight slice or fade can cause the best of golfers to find themselves looking in the wrong fairway for their ball.

Nielsen
11-05-2007, 23:37
Hi the courses at Champions Gate designed by Greg Norman have a "links" feeling to them and they are both a good test as well - much enjoyable..... enjoy [8D]

MarkJan
12-05-2007, 01:14
Also one of the courses at Orange County is a links type. Having said that, playing golf in shorts, in the sun, I don't care what type of course!! [msncool]

Fintan
13-05-2007, 07:53
Hi there....

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. I will look at all the courses suggested. They look impressive!!

Another question if I may.....

Am thinking of making a trip up to play Sawgrass. Can anyone tell me what the best way to get there is if I were staying in the Kissimmee area.
How long would it take to drive ?
Would it be better to fly?
Roughly how much would it cost to fly?
Which airport fly's to Jacksonville?

Thanks for all the replies.
Fintan

MarkJan
13-05-2007, 13:34
I would drive, the distance is approximately 150 miles. An early start should get you there in plenty of time for a round. If you play the TPC course, let us know how much it costs, I would like to play there one day.

Anthony Brook
14-05-2007, 01:03
I don't think you can just go and pay your greenfee and play.

You either have to become an associate member or stay at the Marriot hotel there.

It is possible to play it though with your best bet trying to find an associate member to go round with. I think he then only pays $25 for his round for bringing a guest. The last time I looked into it I think guests pay somewhere in the region of £120.

freddiehollie
23-05-2007, 20:58
One thing most Americans don't understand is "Links Golf Courses"[msnwink]
After we asked about links courses a few years ago in New Orleans
we went to where they recommended. Island greens!!! surrounded by water!!!
whats all that about? [msneek]
Never seen those at Birkdale, Hillside, Muirfield, Lytham, S&A, Portmarnock, County Down,
Portrush, etc[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
Great courses in America? Yes, but links? don't think so.;)

Anthony Brook
24-05-2007, 02:08
Yes I agree. They say Southern Dunes in a "links" style course but is nothing like a true links. For one it couldn't be any further from the sea!