PDA

View Full Version : Boat wanted

nicseg
10-05-2007, 13:47
Hi
We are looking for a small cabin cruiser to go on the Thames. We will be first time owners and are looking to start in a small way with a limited budget; after all we may not like it so initial outlay is important. If some TLC is needed that’s ok as long as it something a complete novice like me can tackle. We have secured moorings on the Thames in Reading. We will also need a small boat that can take an outboard as our mooring does not have access via road or footpath so we need to cross the river to get to it.
Thanks
Nic

blott
10-05-2007, 16:13
Having owned such a thing on the Thames, if I were you I'd rent a boat for a week to see if it's your sort of thing.

Unless you're going into the mega luxury bracket, you'll have limited space so you need to be able to get on together really well and, if you're intending to sleep on it, be quite friendly and not crave a lot of privacy!

Look into how much you might be irritated at having to load up, get onto another boat to reach the other one and unload the other side - if it's pouring with rain, will it really still look that much of a good idea?

Where can you moor the second boat and how much would you have to pay to do this?

Boat insurance is quite expensive so make sure that you look into that and, safety first, anyone who's not a competent swimmer needs a life vest. You also have to pay for most overnight moorings and you need an annual licence for both the boats, which depends on the size. http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/navigation/499814/499910/?version=1&lang=_e Always get a second hand boat surveyed by a competent boat surveyor before purchase.

You need to be pretty agile at jumping on and off, rubber gloves for slimy lock chains, proper boat shoes, know how and where to properly moor up, etc, etc.

If you can get past all that, it can be a lot of fun and also there are some interesting and unusual places that you can only see from a boat. Waking up to ducks and swans floating past your windows in the morning and looking out over a great view of the river are also bonuses.

nicseg
10-05-2007, 17:25
Thanks Blott, this is the first piece of decent advice I have had so far. Just been down to my local marina and they were hopeless. I’m told that this is very unusual and river people are very friendly. Where on the Thames did you spend your time? If all goes well and we buy we will be mooring in Reading.
Nic

chrizzy100
10-05-2007, 18:04
My dad used to say never own anything that flies or floats...I've been looking at boats for FL...I love the idea...but not sure how often I would really use it...

blott
10-05-2007, 19:50
We had a mooring at Penton Hook Marina in Chertsey for a couple of years and then moved to Bray Marina.

We used to do trips most weekends although watch out for Bank holidays or you'll probably be queuing for hours to get through locks. [msnwink]

gulfcovefl
03-11-2007, 20:41
For Chrizzy100-

To have a boat in Florida you must use it often or at least have someone start the motor once a week. There are boat storage places that may do this for you.
Another option is to join a 'boat club'. Freedom Boat Club is one and there may be other clubs, do a web search. There are several plans/ budgets to choose from with all the benefits of owning a boat, but without the hassle. FBC is also available in 46 cities starting on the North Atlantic, around Florida, to Texas. It doesnt matter where you join, you can use them all. Check with them for the complete details.
Just a pun- Did you know the definition of owning a Boat?
A hole in the water in which you constantly throw money into!
If you purchase, go with an outboard engine. The inboard/ outboards are always IO, IO, IO.

Best of luck to nicseg!