PDA

View Full Version : What make of cars from Budget?

paul357
09-05-2007, 17:21
I've booked an intermediate car with Budget (gold option) and was wondering what the car would be

The booking site says

Intermediate 2 / 4 Door - UK Equivalent: Vauxhall Vectra
Dollar: Dodge Stratus / Chrysler Sebring or similar
Alamo: Oldsmobile Alero or similar
Budget: Ford Mustang Coupe or similar

but I've since read somewhere that they actually use Kia's. I really don't want to be driving a Kia on holiday, I've driven a few in the UK and they are normally underpowered and poor to drive. We are moving about a bit on this hoilday so I want a reasonable car, suitable for some long trips.

I really was not expecting a mustang, but I'd hardly call an Kia "similar" [msnsmile]

I've booked with dollar and got chryslers on previous trips, and they have been fine.

Paul

DaveL
09-05-2007, 18:08
I have just returned from Orlando do not remember seeing any Kia's in the parking pick up area, but that doesn't mean they do not use them.

Personally if I was planning on "moving about a bit on this holiday" I would have a full size car or a 4x4. The full size will give you room and a better ride while the 4x4 will seat you higher so you get a better view of what's around you.

As long as you upgrade now before you go the cost is very small if you do it at the airport be prepared to give them one of your arms or legs. ;)

Dave

xtratime
09-05-2007, 21:24
I was supplied with a Kia (intermediate) from Dollar two years ago. Yes it was underpowered and struggled pulling out onto the freeways!

roger
10-05-2007, 10:49
None of the rental companies we use supply Kia's as standard (other than Dollar on the Economy car only).

Budget are mainly Ford group cars. Dollar are mainly Chrysler / Dodge (since Dollar were owned by Chrysler until fairly recently).

Appledore
10-05-2007, 15:33
When you get there - ask at the desk - if you're not happy you can easily upgrade with no hassle. Usually you are given an area to go to and you choose which car you want.

Elaine

blott
10-05-2007, 16:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Appledore
When you get there - ask at the desk - if you're not happy you can easily upgrade with no hassle. Usually you are given an area to go to and you choose which car you want.

Elaine[/quote]I wouldn't advise anyone to upgrade at a car rental desk because it costs loads of money in additional taxes, fees, etc. It's always best, if you're going to upgrade, to do so before you leave the UK.

Can you choose your car with Budget as I don't remember being given that option in the past? I thought that was with Alamo where you got to choose your car?

paul357
10-05-2007, 16:54
Roger
Thanks for reassuring me about the Kia's. I've nothing against them in the UK if you do short trips, but they would be hard work in the US.

paul357
10-05-2007, 17:04
Regarding the upgrade we drive a mondeo in the UK so I'd be happy with that size car in the US.

Budget are doing free upgrades at the moment so I'll be getting the next size car anyway.

If I did decide to upgrade to a 4x4 late can I leave it (I did book through here)

Paul

roger
10-05-2007, 17:55
For bookings with Budget we recommend you contact us by no later than a week before your collection date if you wish to amend your car type.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by paul357
Regarding the upgrade we drive a mondeo in the UK so I'd be happy with that size car in the US.

Budget are doing free upgrades at the moment so I'll be getting the next size car anyway.

If I did decide to upgrade to a 4x4 late can I leave it (I did book through here)

Paul
[/quote]

ccarcher
15-05-2007, 15:01
I had previously booked through this site for our upcoming trip in July an Intermediate with Budget which comes with free upgrade on arrival to Standard

have since decided to go for a standard car with free upgrade on arrival to premium

sent them an email and that very nice man Roger has come back almost immediately with the minimal cost of this upgrade and put this into place for me

so just mail them before you go with any chnge requests

Thanks again Roger for your help as well

LiesaAnna
15-05-2007, 18:05
our friends had their car upgraded for a further £190 at eatser this year, they chose to pay by debit card at the end of the trip on return of the car (so im told) when the monthly statement came through they had not only paid in cash but they had swiped the card also! think they changed their minds how to pay, so be careful, easily done apparently, a refund is on the way from whom ever they sorted it with but this happens all the time the travel agents said

ccarcher
15-05-2007, 20:15
If you book through this site though (with gold option) as I understand it then everything is paid for upfront and nothing to pay for on arrival

Unless you then select any extras / upgrades