PDA

View Full Version : Restless Night

DAFF
07-05-2007, 13:47
Hi All,

Just after advice, reassurance after a restless night thinking to much[msneek], so here goes .

We fly the 2.08.07 It really is our holiday of a lifetime(I hope)but I have a few questions.

We have upgraded to P.E with Virgin but have now read this isn't worth it if you get the old seats!! Have I wasted our money?

We are going to hire a 4 door intermediate car, is this bigger enough for 2 adults and 2 children?

Is it easy to drive over there??

Should I take our car seats?

What if the villa is awful when we get there?

Who do we get in touch with if something awful happens when we are there?
Flights booked with Virgin, Villa and car booked through here.

We are there for 3 weeks, have 14 day disney pass and 5 day flexi universal pass, how busy and hot are the parks going to be and what is the best approach to the parks??

Lost chidren in the parks?

Best water parks for a 6 and 8 year old?

I said it was a restless night!!!!![msnsmile2]

Thank you for your help

Sue

Budboy
07-05-2007, 14:12
Don't panic

We have upgraded to P.E with Virgin but have now read this isn't worth it if you get the old seats!! Have I wasted our money?

Never upgraded but the main thing you are paying for is space.

We are going to hire a 4 door intermediate car, is this bigger enough for 2 adults and 2 children?

Big enough for day to day but if you are taking or bringing back lots of luggage consider a full size.

Yes, just take your time especially when joining roads ensure that you are on the correct side of the road.

Yes, we take ours wrapped in bin bags and parcel tape.

as it is booked through here this is very unlikley.

Depends on the situation, Villa management, Travel Insurance, Car hire co. etc

We are there for 3 weeks, have 14 day disney pass and 5 day flexi universal pass, how busy and hot are the parks going to be and what is the best approach to the parks??

Very hot and humid during the days and very busy. the approach is a personal thing everyone enjoys different things.

Not likley, but enough staff and security to sort quickly

Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach

florida4sun
07-05-2007, 14:15

<span style="color:red">Not really and nothing much you can do now anyway,so dont worry about it.
</span id="red">

<span style="color:red">Personally for the little bit extra I would go for a large car, if you booked throgh this site there are no charges for sorting this out.</span id="red">

<span style="color:red">Very</span id="red">

<span style="color:red">Yes, too expensive to hire them.</span id="red">

<span style="color:red">Did you book through OV, if yes then the villa will be lovely. If not and the villa is not right (very unlikely) asked to be moved.</span id="red">

<span style="color:red">The owner will provide you with a 24 hour management conatc number, and car hire will also give you contact info.</span id="red">

<span style="color:red">Take it is easy, arrive early and do the big rides first, then chill out and enjoy the parks. Generally in August the parks are not too bad, it will be very very hot but the queues have cooling mist fans to cool you down. Go to walmart and buy some squeeze breeze's.
</span id="red">
<span style="color:red">Tell them extacly what to do, go to the nearest Cast Member, arrange a meeting place to head to. Buy cheap walkie talkies. Get them ID tags if they are shy.</span id="red">

<span style="color:red">My choice would be Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, I prefer TL.</span id="red">

I said it was a restless night!!!!![msnsmile2]

<span style="color:red">I have seen many holidays ruined buy parents getting so wound up about making the holiday perfect. Doing the parks commando style is about the worst thing you can do. Have a tentative plan but dont worry about straying away from. Take time to see the real Disney, hget a list of hidden mickeys and find about about the spacing of the trash cans (the time taken for Walt to scoff a hotdog), company names in the shop windows at MK (dedications to thiose involved in building the park). Do the photo spots, go the the talking water fountains but dont let the kids know they talk, the reaction is great when 'Hey buddy save some for the fish' comes out of the plug hole. Find the wedding ring at the haunted mansion. If you can arm youself with this type of thing it makes for fun times walking around the parks. To me the rides are great but its the small things that I remember most. Buy them passports for Epcot and collect the stamps from around the World.</span id="red">

caroline
07-05-2007, 14:25
Phew! I'm surprised you managed any sleep!

OK, first chill... it's Florida and chilling is compulsory!

Premium Economy will be great, dedicated check in, first on and off the plane, more space, better seats (even if not the new ones)

As long as you don't have tons of luggage an Intermediate will be fine, we hired an intermediate when just the 2 of us went last November (we had tons of luggage) and were given a PT cruiser - so if you google that it will give you an idea of how large the car will be.

It's very easy to drive in Florida, just take your time getting to know the car before you leave the airport, the cars are all automatic and that really helps when you're unsure of the roads.

Car seats are only required by law for kids 5 and under but if your 2 have boosters and are more comfortable using them then take them with you.

You've booked your villa through OV, so I'm sure it will be perfect - if you have any problems with the villa just contact the local management company and they will help you.

If something awful happens, then you have the management company or the police as a first port of call - it depends what has happened - also your villa owner will only be a phone call away and if you have internet access at the villa then this forum will always try and help you. If you don't have internet access at the villa let us know where you are staying and I'm sure there will be an internet cafe somehere nearby.

Best approach to the parks is get there before they open so you can be at the front of the line as they open the gates - it will be much hotter in the afternoon so if you hit the parks in the morning, then go back to your villa for a swim and chill out, you can always go back in the evening and see the fireworks and parades.

We always tell our kids that if they get separated from us to stand still, do not move, we will come and find you - it's worked well for us - the park staff (cast members) are well trained in keeping their eyes open for lost kiddies, so if you haven't found your separated little ones fairly quickly, grab a cast member and ask for their assistance.

Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon will both be brilliant for your kids ages - you have 3 wonderful weeks so try and get to both!

Remember to have a few chill out days too - otherwise you'll need another holiday to recover!

DAFF
07-05-2007, 14:41
Thank you very much. Just wanted to know we were on the right track.[msnsmile2]

Sue

mizzy
07-05-2007, 14:45
oh you sound like me, i'm a worrier too

will try to reassure a little[msnsmile]

the lost children bit, have a plan, it's a busy place and as long as the children know who to approach should they get seperated you will be reunited within minutes, you need to point out cast memebers and their badges and make it clear to the children that if you do get seperated these are the people who will help them to find you again, nearest place to find a cast member? well they are everywhere but shops and restaurants would be a good place to start
if you are taking mobiles then it's a good idea to tag the kids with your number, you could use those charity type wristbands and write your mobile number on with a permanant marker

we follow a simple rule with our two, that is "if they cannot see me then i cannot see you" so they have learned not to wander off, finally the parks have security cameras everywhere and childrens safety is paramount so do try not to worry

virgin premium economy, we flew out PE with the old seats and it was far more comfortable than economy, the upstairs is very quiet and having flew economy we would pay the extra again

here's a photo of upper deck PE

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mizzy/200716213154_virgin.jpg

car hire, well for the 4 of us we went for a 7 seater, why? so the little horrors could be seperated when they needed to be, doesn't hurt to have a little extra space to spread out[msnwink]

parks, take it slow n steady anti-clockwise i think works best and use fast passes when available, build in plenty of rest time in between parks, you may hve a disney 14 days ticket but don't have to visit everyday, if you have an itinerary then be flexible and use it as a guide rather then trying to tire yourself and the children out trying to cram everything in

waterparks, well if you remain a little flexible you may decide to do both so i wouldn't worry

the main thing is Sue you are going to have a fantastic holiday and come back with some wonderfull memories[grouphug]

Marie

Fourdents
07-05-2007, 14:55

Get some blank luggage labels (the durable variety ) the children can then put their drawings, disney stickers or whatever on the front and on the back YOU put your mobile phone number on or suitable messages and your youngsters put it around their neck. You can get Disney lanyards, the things they put "pins" on to wear and attach the details on there.

andrewmckay5
07-05-2007, 15:22
I'm with Carol and Mizzy on PE;the flight in PE becomes part of the holiday rather than something to be endured well worth. At 6'1" the extra space is a big plus. Its not only the extra space its a lot more peaceful with less people moving around all the time. More chance of some decent sleep on the way back as well.
Personally i would go for a bigger car as the extra cost is hardly anything in the overall cost of the holiday. All bags easily in the boot/trunk then.
I'm sure the villa would be great from this site.
Get some decent guide books and read up on the parks before you go. Have a plan; The Unofficial Guide is excellent I think for this.
andrew

Paula D-S
07-05-2007, 15:33
I flew PE for the first time last year from Manchester on the older type plane, my children are or were 4 and 10 at the time and we found the extra space and less people in the cabin great I would travel this way again.[msnsmile2]

We always hire the 7 seater mini van for the four of us, it's all down to personal choice we just find the reclining seats and extra space for the pushchair and shopping great.

I am yet to drive in Florida but my husband who hates driving in the UK really enjoys driving in Florida, just take your time.

We have always taken our own car seats.

The villas on this site are fantastic and I'm sure you won't find anything other than perfect.

We all have MC's looking after our homes, any problems or advice just ask, they are there to help.

The advice given already as to lost children is great, also I read on here somewhere to take a picture of your little ones when you get to the park so you can remember exactly what they are wearing.

I think Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Laggoon are perfect waterparks for all age groups.

Now try and relax Sue, you have so much to look forward to.

Michelle
07-05-2007, 15:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
I'm with Carol and Mizzy on PE;the flight in PE becomes part of the holiday rather than something to be endured well worth. At 6'1" the extra space is a big plus. Its not only the extra space its a lot more peaceful with less people moving around all the time. More chance of some decent sleep on the way back as well.
Personally i would go for a bigger car as the extra cost is hardly anything in the overall cost of the holiday. All bags easily in the boot/trunk then.
I'm sure the villa would be great from this site.
Get some decent guide books and read up on the parks before you go. Have a plan; The Unofficial Guide is excellent I think for this.
andrew
[/quote]
Yes I agree as Andrew and others have said, we always now fly PE with Virgin definately worth every penny, Just relax and enjoy which I know will be a great holiday.

ShirleyD
07-05-2007, 15:48
Having driven in Florida for the first time last November and being terrified at the thought as I really hate driving anyway. I have to say it was SOOOOOOOO easy. There are no roundabouts to worry about, when you turn left, just make sure you go the other side of the barrier (sounds obvious, but some of the roads are so wide!) If you are unsure of where you are going, then you can also hire a SAT NAV through this site.
Have a great time :D

sunseeker
07-05-2007, 15:52
i would also advise a bigger car, we hired an intermediate the first time we went (2 adults 2 kids).
we took a case each and had to put one on the back seat with the kids and their hand luggage.[msnsad]
if its your first trip you will almost certainly come back with far more luggage than you went with.[msncool][msnwink]

Dave

orlandobabe
07-05-2007, 19:02
re car.

I nearly always get an I4.

As you are with virgin-you can do the downtown disney check in from 8am till 1pm and get rid of all your extra luggage that way.

DAFF
07-05-2007, 19:27
THANK YOU ALL[msnsmile2][msnsmile2].

You have really helped and I feel a lot more relaxed about the whole thing.[msnwink]

Sue

FraserLynn
07-05-2007, 21:17
Hi,

P.E is worth every penny in my view. We have flown PE to both the carribean and Florida on Virgin, one time old plane the other time a new one. Both great and make the journey so much more relaxing and easy, first on and first off the plane helps with getting through immigration and priority luggage means that you clear customs before the rush.

I have flown virgin upper class a number of times with work and for me the difference between economy and PE is bigger than PE and UC, you get the important benefits at a fraction of the cost. That said the Virgin lounge at Heathrow is a holidy in itself

have a great time

Appledore
07-05-2007, 21:54
Sue,

Please don't worry. I've never had a bad Virgin flight P.E. is so worth it!

If I can drive over there anyone can. Just take your time. You can always hire seats and a sat nav if you choose. In America everything has been thought of so if you get a car you don't like go back to the desk and you can upgrade no hassle.

I'm sure your villa will be great - make sure you don't wear yourself out worrying about trying to do every park. It's impossible. If you are planning on visiting a park everyday I suggest you have a day such as Disney followed by a water park that way you can at least sit down and chill. Sea World is great - although you have the usual walking and queing for a couple of rides there's a fabulous shows to sit down and rest!

With regards to lost children - when my middle daughter was six I lost her in main street Disney just as the parade was about to start. The staff were fantastic. All you do is approach any member of staff and they are immediately on their walkie talkies allerting security. Laura was back with us in no time - but I did go and buy a wrist strap so that it couldn't happen again, and as already suggested point out meeting places as you go around the park.

Please don't worry - now go and have a sleep!! Elaine

Nikki D
07-05-2007, 23:17
Hi Sue, hope your feeling much better now. Everyone is so good on the site and are very willing to help. Hope you had a look at that site I sent you about busy days in Florida parks.
Sleep well
x [msnsmile2]

JoRo
08-05-2007, 00:58
Stop worrying Sue! You will have a fantastic time - PE well worth it, you can up grade the car there if you feel you need to - and everything elsie well just let it happen! Look forward to reading your trip report.
Joyce

domster
08-05-2007, 10:33
I have been looking for a flight in Sept with Virgin and was quoted PE and Economy. I asked them if the PE seats would be upgraded to the PE ones they use on the London service. They told me they were to be done later in the year (So might be done by the time you go). Even so the PE is not too bad. If you can get in the upper deck it helps as it is quiet.

I would upgrade the car to the biggest you can afford. It is worth it when taking the luggage from the airport.

There are many great villas out there, they will be 100 times better than a cramped hotel room.

Have a great holiday.:)

Maz
09-05-2007, 01:13
My parents flew virgin PE last summer when they came out to visit us - they thought it was worth every penny.

ravtino
09-05-2007, 02:42
We fly on the same day as you, never flown PE, always had a 4x4 and there are three of us 2 ads and a child (11), I love the driving and am off on my own if i get the chance leaving hubbie and son home alone!!!:D
Am sure you will have a great time. We love Typhoon Lagoon

millie
09-05-2007, 03:54
On the lost children topic (are we all very aware of this after what has happened this week?? I know I am).

If you have lost your child go to a cast menber straight away. They can lock down the whole park within minutes. That means all guest and staff exits. Good to know.

I always take my child to see a cast member so they know what they look like. I tell them to look out for the badges. They can be found in all restaurants and shops and outside most rides. Most of them have access to walkie talkies so they can put out a lost child alert.

Prevention is obviously better but the advice so far has been great. Not really anything to add.

I know it can be worrying but you will have an amazing time. I'm v jealous!

L