PDA

View Full Version : Digital Photos-to-CD Service?

eitherorlando
17-09-2003, 02:27
Hi there,

We're going to Orlando this October and I'm taking my new digital camera with me. Although the expansion card is large (256 Mb) I would really like to have the option to empty the card onto a CD-ROM if it gets full.

Does anyone know of a camera shop or computer store that would carry out this service for me?

Regards,
Frank

chrisj
17-09-2003, 02:39
I think a card that size wouldnt need to be emptied, it all depends on what setting you
pick, but I got 600+ photos out of 1 and half 64mg cards. I took 6 along just in case

I didnt see a place that did a service, but others might know of one, other than that I
would take another card to make sure, that way you are covered

7dayshop.com are cheap and post within 2 days

Chris7
17-09-2003, 04:09
My big fear would be having anything happen to that card - all your eggs are in one basket and it would be terrible to lode all your pics

steph_goodrum
17-09-2003, 12:54
You might even find Walmart offer the service, Frank. I've just had my holiday photos done in Boots locally, they can even offer a 1 hour service (incidentally it was such a good price I figured I couldn't print them for the cost - up to 50 photos is £5 and then 10p per perprint after that and £2.50 for the cd) so it cost me £9.50 for 95 photos and £2.50 for cd. What I am getting at is that it may now be a standard service offered by photo developers. With Boots they download it from the card and give it back to you , you don't have to leave it.

blott
17-09-2003, 14:39
Check out http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?path=0%3A5426&dept=5426&cat=5426 as they seem to have a lot of photo services. You can upload them from your digital camera to their website and view them online. If you need to do this via a PC, you could use the Library?

Alternatively, if you have a laptop, take it with you so that you can organised your photos yourself - a guest of mine took their laptop specifically for this purpose.

eitherorlando
17-09-2003, 19:48
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Both Walmart and Boots' websites have extensive information on how to remotely upload images from a PC via the Internet, but no information about physically doing this in-store. I won't have access to a laptop or PC, and the library - being an otherwise good idea - would probably not allow me to load my camera's software required to transfer the pictures.

Now you mention it, it seems logical for it to be possible to do it in-store; but just to make sure, I have e-mailed Walmart to confirm it.

Thanks again,
Frank

Biggus
17-09-2003, 20:17
Frank,
Wal-Mart do this service in-store as standard - although they were not cheap when I looked into when I was there in March/April. In the end I decided to risk the one memory card (256mb CF card) that I had and I still have the 400+ photos that I took on the card even now. I know what you mean about 'all the eggs in one basket' thought though - this was my first trip with a digital camera and I was somewhat concerned. Now I have convinced most of my friends to invest in one!!
But to allay any of your fears Wal-Mart do it no probs - especially if you visit out of peak times!!

steph_goodrum
17-09-2003, 21:04
Frank
Boots have a card reader instore, I am guessing this is whatthe other would use.
I know what you mean Biggus, this was my first time with the digital camera and also in California so didn't want to risk losing all my pics, so I still took my 35mm one as well and took some with that. I didn't end up as bad as you I had 30 photos on one card and 95 on the other.
The one thing I will say that caused a bit of a problem is that my camera has the facility to take movie clips like many so i experimented and took a few seconds of movie to try it out. When they tried to print the pictures it would not let them print it with that clip on to make the cd but she was able to delete it instore and print the other photos, but I have to take it off the card before they can make the cd but the bulk of them on the other card there was no problem.
Biggus
If you want to clear your card, I asked the girl in Boots if you could just get the pics put onto cd without having them printed and she said yes, and it would be £2.50 (not sure if you'd get all of them on one cd though, but they have to take all the pics, you can't select some of them.

florida4sun
17-09-2003, 21:12
I can do this for you. We charge $5 including the CD. Pictures must be in a valid format (gif,jpg,tiff etc etc). We can read all the popular formats.

Martin

quote:Originally posted by eitherorlando

Hi there,

We're going to Orlando this October and I'm taking my new digital camera with me. Although the expansion card is large (256 Mb) I would really like to have the option to empty the card onto a CD-ROM if it gets full.

Does anyone know of a camera shop or computer store that would carry out this service for me?

Regards,
Frank

chrisj
17-09-2003, 22:24
Martin

Thats great, what about if we supply the CD :D:D

millie
18-09-2003, 03:02
We did ours at Walmart - quite cheap and fast (1 hr service)

florida4sun
18-09-2003, 05:47
No problem, i will deduct the cost of the CD. Mind you they only cost 15 cents:D

quote:Originally posted by chrisj

Martin

Thats great, what about if we supply the CD :D:D

chrisj
18-09-2003, 13:10
thats not a bad price, cheapest ive found here is approx 20p if you buy them in
100's

Biggus
18-09-2003, 13:21
Boo,
I have put all the photos on CD at home and made multiple copies for everyone on the trip (mum/dad and Julia - friend) so that everyone has a copy and so we have backups in case of problems. The reason I havent cleared my CF card in my camera is that I protected all of the photos onto the card as I was going along throughout the holiday - to remove the chance of stray fingers deleting images when viewing them. Problem is I now have to go back and un-protect each individual image on the card before I can remove them - as a result it will take me a couple of hours of solid button pressing to sort out - better had though, I went to the Oval test match the other week and took loads of photos from that and have a multitude of my 6 month nephew so I think that I only have about 50 or so images left available on my 256mb card!!!;)

steph_goodrum
18-09-2003, 14:51
I know the feeling Biggus, my computer suffers from the same problem with my bad "housekeeping":D Is there not an "unlock all" option on your camera - that would save a lot of time?
It's always that feeling , and even more so when the camera/computer asks "are you sure you want to delete this" and you then start to question and think "suppose I delete the wrong one etc." even though you knew before it asked you what you wanted to do.

eitherorlando
18-09-2003, 19:59
Thanks again, everyone. My preference is to shoot all my photos on max size and resolution, which gives me only(!) 150-or-so shots. I'll probably back-up the card to CD in Walmart about halfway through the trip. (Thanks for the offer, Martin. Where are you based? For some reason I can't fathom my navigational skills around Florida are hopeless, so it may be easier for me to find WalMart!)

Frank

eitherorlando
19-09-2003, 20:25
Update.

When in doubt, speak to the source.

I 'phoned the Walmart superstore on the South John Young Parkway this morning (isn't the Internet wonderful?). The girl in the Photo department told me they do perform the service on a one-hour basis, charging $3.84 (plus tax, I guess) per 100 frames, i.e. if you have 101 frames on your card you'll be charged $7.68 (plus tax).

Frank

phaedra
04-10-2003, 01:12
Hi :)

If we manage to get back this year I'll be looking for the same thing, in April the camera centre on the 192 (left side just before the 27) wanted $25 to transfer my files and wanted me to leave my microdrive with him for the day rendering my camera useless!.

Walmart seems like a good price, last 2 visits I've had to shoot standard resolution (2560 x 1920) medium compression jpgs (2Mb per image) so I could get all the holiday photos on the 1Gb microdrive (just under 400 of them!) so if we do go back I may get to shoot in raw or Tiff mode (about 80 12Mb images on a 1Gb drive) and dump them onto CD's every couple of days :D

Also worth mentioning is NOT to put your digital camera in your hold luggage, since 09/11 the airports baggage scanners have had the power ramped up to the level where it may damage sensitive electronics such as memory cards, take the camera and cards in your hand luggage instead.