PDA

View Full Version : NO to universal

mizzy
23-04-2007, 18:27
now as a big disney fan we've visited florida twice and bypassed universal, why? you might ask

well our reasons have been simple my children are too big for dr suess and dont get him at all, they are not interested in super heros and the alternative i believe are rides which we would normally avoid such as terminator, spiderman and then huge rollercoasters

can anyone offer some information that might persuade us to visit on this next trip, any photos or ride reports would be gratefully received [msnsmile]

we'd like to say YES to universal but not sure if we would just be wasting our money

mizzy

chrizzy100
23-04-2007, 19:20
Well I go about 30 times a year...[msnembarrased]
I've yet to get bored with the place...same with my daughter who is 26...and my hubby...

I can't stand Disney anymore...and taking a 2 year old there last week put the tin hat on us going again for a very very long time....
People just like parks for different reasons...we like to walk around universal...have a spot of lunch...an ice cream...there are so many quiet spots to sit and watch the world go by...nice places to eat...its very laid back...not the rush and crowds and bad planning of Disney....

emm
23-04-2007, 19:44
Perhaps your children wouldn't enjoy Islands of Adventure (where Dr Seuss, Spiderman and the huge roller coasters are) but I'm sure they would love Universal Studios, where I think there is something for everyone - our favourite thing there is Shrek 4D (the pre-show talk is almost as good as the show!).

freddiehollie
23-04-2007, 19:49
As you say Chrissie people like parks for different reasons, but to not go back with a 2 year old is like showing them sweets and not letting them have one;)
We find lots of quiet spots to sit and let the world drift by at Disney, great places to eat, very relaxing etc,[msnsmile2]
That said we like Universal as well. Due out in 3 days we were going to give it a miss this time:( (other things to do) but our 2 little ones told us they had to see Cat in the Hat and Thing 1 and Thing 2:D

wrpac00
23-04-2007, 20:28
Personally I think Disney is for younger kids, MGM and AK are good for older kids but IOA & Universal are our favs along with Seaworld.

becbecs
23-04-2007, 20:45
We love some of the rides at Universal, especially The Mummy, next time on our agenda will be the Fear Factor Show, now this sounds like fun especially after watching it on TV.

chrizzy100
23-04-2007, 20:58
I never said we are not going back...but not going back for a very very long time...like when he is 21......I have a big letter of complaint going into Disney...something I've never done before..but its been on the cards after 2 other visits with family to Disney...we never go there on our own...and will just drop family off there most of the time from now on...

SteveandJan
24-04-2007, 00:29
My kids, who are 9 and 12 love Universal and Islands of Adventure the most

Snapper
24-04-2007, 01:40
Mizzy, what are you missing?? Universal has so many things for everyone. It's such a good day out.

Let's face it, you haven't really been to Orlando until you've ridden Jaws, have you? OK, we all know what's going to happen as soon as the boat pulls out, but to just spend the 10 minutes looking for the shark is to miss the real beauty of it all. The whole ride is themed just like Amity Island.

Shrek4D is heaps of fun. Forget worrying about your children's (or your) ages, just have a great time there. Twister is awesome. I'm a huge fan of the movie and I just love the walk through the ropes on the way in to the ride, past some of the original props. I'm told from those in the know that it's called a Boneyard where the props are stored like this. Earthquake is another favourite. Not just the ride but the way you get to go behind the scenes a little. I'm the first to admit that some of the pre-show is a bit cheesy but just try not gasping for breath at the point the huge model is unveiled that was used to shoot the movie. Wooooo!

The Mummy Returns ride is fantastic, and equally as good as the best Disney can offer (except maybe the Tower of Terror which is in a class of its own). Men In Black is heaps of fun. You are guaranteed to come off there laughing and ready for another go straight away.

ET, Terminator and Fear Factor Live are all great shows, not forgetting the Blues Brothers review. It hardly leaves time to grab a bite to eat and take in some of the theming of the park itself.

They even have the characters from Madagascar. Last time we were there I was just too slow to get a good photo of Alex the Lion with the Penguins. Smile and wave boys ... smile and wave.

I've become such a fan of Universal that I've started adding the movies to the villa's DVD collection along with some ideas in my guidebook for linking it all together; a kind of watch the movie then see the show type train of thought.

And if that hasn't got you all enthusiastic, the current tickets get you in to Islands of Adventure as well, so you can have the most fantastic day out split across both parks. If you want just the tiniest hint of what's on offer there are a few photos at:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_37215.asp
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_37218.asp

Have fun ... [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Kazzie
24-04-2007, 02:10
Have to agree with Steve, we couldnt even think about going to Orlando without at least one day at each of Universal parks. Our kids ages range from 11 to 23 and they all love Universal for very different reasons, there is something for everyone.

You really dont know what you are missing Mizzy, give it a try next time, I am certain you will each find something that you love.

Karen

millie
24-04-2007, 02:15
Well I am def in the Disney camp. I am not a fan of Universal at all. Don't really enjoy big rides and I love the theming and the little touches that Disney has. I don't think it is just for children at all.

Universal for me is just lots of rides in a space. IOA is much better themed but I am not really a fan of the rides there. Most years I just give them the by.

emm
24-04-2007, 02:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie

You really dont know what you are missing Mizzy, give it a try next time, I am certain you will each find something that you love.

Karen
[/quote]

I quite agree. I went to Universal rather reluctantly, and now I think it is one of the best. I am not so keen on IOA but that is because I am not a roller coaster fan.

I love the Disney theming too, but Universal has a very nice 'feel' to it and does very good theming too.

LiesaAnna
24-04-2007, 02:22
we think the best one for all sorts of rides and things to see, shows etc has to be Busch gardens, we have tried MK and Lauren was 7 then altho she probably thought she was going on 13 then, shes never been "young" for her age therefore wasnt so keen on magic kingdom!! we will look into animal kingdom and epcot for our next visit alongside Busch gardens

Nikki D
24-04-2007, 02:39
Hi I would say you have been missing out big time leaving these two parks out. This year me and my daughter are only doing these two parks as Im a bit fed up of disney for now. Maybe we might go to mgm next year as this is the only park I like of disney at the moment. Bet you come back and say you loved them both. Im 36 and dont mind standing shoulder to shoulder with spiderman one bit. You will all love it I bet:D

Albert the Frog
24-04-2007, 14:08
Come on!! What a delight to read these comments in support of IOA and Universal-We have a little disappointed with Disney the last couple of times I must admit. Whereas we have had a fantastic time at IOA/Universal every time we have been.
Having said that I don't think that there is anything on earth to beat the look on a kiddie's face when they first walk on to Main St and see the castle.
So-you pays your money and you makes your choice (as Popeye would say)(also available at IOA)

Homer
24-04-2007, 17:18
Love both the Universal parks and if honest while I love all that disney stuff (cos I am a big kid!!) would not dream of missing universal.

Would drop Epcot/Animal Kingdom before I dropped Universal

niccola27
24-04-2007, 19:37
I love Universal and Islands of Adventure!! For me the Jaws ride makes my holiday!! Shrek 4D is fantastic and I love Earth Quake, Twister and a good ol' knees up watching the Blues Brothers & Beetlejuice!! Islands of Adventure must have some of the coolest retro style cartoon t-shirts ever and walking round the place is great fun in itself!! Honestly I really do rate both parks very highly.
Disney parks are great but tend to be lots busier and have always stressed me out a lot more then the universal parks but I'm 26 and don't have kids and I really do think that kids get a lot more out of the disney parks then they maybe would out of the universal parks.
Which ever park you lean towards though sure beats Alton towers!!!
Nikki

xtratime
25-04-2007, 04:01
When asked what parks my kids (15 & 11)wanted to return to this year, Universal was top of the list (other than discovery cove for my 11yr daughter). Disney does not have the the same attraction for them!

25-04-2007, 10:34
Mizzy I am the same as you, I love Citywalk but I am not overly bothered about the rest. My older boys used to love it though but they don't want to come anymore since they went to Uni[msnsad]

As I still have two little ones 5 and 10 it will be Disney for us in August[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
25-04-2007, 11:07
I think Disney and Universal are very different animals. We have been to Disney every year until 2006 and then we only went to Universal, which we had, until then visited sparingly over the years. This Easter we thought our Disney raised daughter would want to go back to the Disney Parks, but no, she was happy visiting just Universal this trip. We did Mardi Gras twice, which was fantastic, and a real fav now. And on October she wants to do the haslloween horror nights again. I am glad we have had a break from Disney (we did it ALOT for 13 years, but look forward to a return. [msnwink]

davy woods
01-05-2007, 02:53
Universal and IOA are fantastic parks. Revenge of the mummy is pure class, the amount of time and effort that has gone into this ride is sheer brilliance and better than any ride that Disney has to offer.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't visit these 2 parks and only goes to Disney you really are missing out. I will never forget the look on Connor's face when he met Spiderman at IOA, his all time hero. He asked him if he could help him save the city and they both had their photographs taken together[msnwink] a very special moment.