PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire Question

burtonl
20-04-2007, 01:29
Hello Everyone,

I want to book an 8 seater minivan from this site but have a bit of a problem with trying to work out the best pick up time.

We are on a flight that lands at MCO at 14.55 whereas other members of my family are on the next flight that doesn't land until 16.55.

Virgin changed our flights so ours is earlier and theirs is later so we now have a bigger gap between our flights than expected![msnmad]

As I now have 2 hours to wait before they arrive what would you suggest would be the best time to actually book to pick the car up?

I can see we will probably be drinking lots of cups of coffee somewhere to try and pass the time!

I also need to take this car back to the airport 8 days later for their flight back at 17.50 and want to pick up a smaller car for ourselves for a further 10 days.

I've not booked a car from this site before so was just wondering how this would work with dropping off and picking up straight after and whether I would book both together on this site.

Appreciate any advice please.

christhear
20-04-2007, 01:43
Are you flying from Gatwick or Manchester. The last few times I have flown from Gatwick the later flight has actually arrived at Orlando before the earlier flight due to technical problems.
If half your party are departing at 17:50 you will need to be bck at the airport by 15:40 so if you booked your car for about 4pm you should be fine.
I'm not sure if you can book both cars at the same time but I'm sure Roger will let ou know

florida4sun
20-04-2007, 01:44
If you you dont need the car till 15.30 then dont book it until then. Unless you want to get the car sorted and you luggage on before your friends arrive (you can leave in the parking lot).
For the change over just book you rnext card from the time you need it.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by burtonl
Hello Everyone,

I want to book an 8 seater minivan from this site but have a bit of a problem with trying to work out the best pick up time.

We are on a flight that lands at MCO at 14.55 whereas other members of my family are on the next flight that doesn't land until 16.55.

Virgin changed our flights so ours is earlier and theirs is later so we now have a bigger gap between our flights than expected![msnmad]

As I now have 2 hours to wait before they arrive what would you suggest would be the best time to actually book to pick the car up?

I can see we will probably be drinking lots of cups of coffee somewhere to try and pass the time!

I also need to take this car back to the airport 8 days later for their flight back at 17.50 and want to pick up a smaller car for ourselves for a further 10 days.

I've not booked a car from this site before so was just wondering how this would work with dropping off and picking up straight after and whether I would book both together on this site.

Appreciate any advice please.
[/quote]

burtonl
20-04-2007, 01:47
Thanks Christine, I am flying from Gatwick.

Mr G
20-04-2007, 01:53
Hi Linda, I have always found the Car Hire companies to be quite flexible. I see that you have two choices, pick up your car when you arrive and you know you have it and are happy with it and wait or go for a drive for an hour or so.

Or

Hang around the airport for two hours then collect the car when your family arrive and drive off together.This might be a problem as if your family are on a direct flight from the UK The car hire desks will be inundated with the UK passengers picking up their cars so there may be a queue.

I don't think in cash terms it will make much diffrence. I would probably collect the car first and at least you will have time to get used to it and have it all ready for your family to be collected and drive away.

Regarding the change. I would book two seperate cars, one for the 8 days and the smaller one for the remainder.If you choose the Gold package you will receive two tanks of gas.

I have booked my cars many times through here and you will have no problems.

roger
20-04-2007, 12:09
It wont matter when you collect the car, as long as the drop off time isn't later than the collection time else you will have to pay for an extra day. Maybe arrange to collect the 8 seater around half way between your arrival time and their arrival time.

The make a second order for the other car with the drop and collect times the same.

burtonl
24-04-2007, 01:36
Thank you for your replies.

After reading your suggestions I think the best bet is to pick the first car up within an hour of arriving and we'll just wait around until the rest of the family arrive. We can then sort out our own luggage and be all set to go when they arrive. We should also avoid the worst of the queues from both flights that way.

I'll also book the second car with the pick up time being the same as the drop off time for the 8 seater.

I just need to get booking now!

Thanks again for your help.

bargainqueen
24-04-2007, 05:29
We always fly out on the first Gatwick flight and it's surprising how long it takes before you get to the car hire desks, the earliest we have managed to finish the paperwork for the car is 5pm and then you have to queue up again in the garage to get the key[dollar] Obviously the later flight will have the same delay but at least you can load up your cases and go back into airport to await there arrival and guide them to your car. You may be lucky and only have to wait for a short while before they arrive.

ellie
24-04-2007, 14:26
I think your solution sounds perfect, Linda. If you collect your car before the rest of the party arrive you can check the vehicle, stow your luggage and then wander across to the terminal and perhaps sit in the food court and have a drink and something to eat while you wait for the next flight to arrive. I am sure you will find the time goes really quickly.

The pick up time is only a guide, as flights can be delayed and cars then have to be picked up later, so don't worry too much. We have found Dollar to be very helpful at MCO. The main thing is to make sure you drop off the first car before the time is up so you don't end up paying for an extra day - and don't cut it too fine in case you get stuck in traffic etc.

Hope you have a great time. You won't do better than booking your car from here.

We booked a compact car last time, it was upgraded to an intermediate on booking and we were thrilled to be given a brand new Magnum Charger with leather seats and one mile on the clock. Wicked! I cannot recommend the site more highly, and Roger is brilliant. I would not book anywhere else.

ncmurray
29-04-2007, 13:56
This may not be something you would want to consider, but why not hire one car for your party to suit your needs for the duration of your holiday, and the other party do the same for the duration of their holiday. It might work out a little more expensive, but you would then have two cars, which would make it possible for the party to split up if you wanted to.

Just an idea....

burtonl
02-05-2007, 02:02
Just to let you know that I have now completed my bookings for the two cars for our holiday.

I even signed up for Dollar Express yesterday after reading about it on the forum. I received my member number by email today but they said it will take 14 days for my card to arrive so I'll probably miss receiving it for this trip.

The booking process was really simple with excellent all inclusive prices.

This is my first car hire booking from this site and I was impressed and can see why it's so popular.

If I manage to get an upgrade like you did Ellie I'll be well happy!

Thanks again everyone.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-05-2007, 02:43
If you email us with your Dollar Express number, we can get it added to your voucher and you will be able to use the Dollar Express line.

See the following item in our FAQ about travelling before the actual card has arrived:

http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/faq-dollar-express.aspx#77

I even signed up for Dollar Express yesterday after reading about it on the forum. I received my member number by email today but they said it will take 14 days for my card to arrive so I'll probably miss receiving it for this trip.

[/quote]

burtonl
02-05-2007, 03:45
Thanks for that Roger.

I have sent an email with my Dollar Express Number.

burtonl
02-05-2007, 12:04
I meant to say Thanks John!

Sorry.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-05-2007, 13:19
LOL - people are always mixing us up. You should hear the names Roger gets called - Barry seems to be a favourite for some reason [msnwink].

Sorry.
[/quote]

roger
02-05-2007, 13:27
Yep - these are my regulars: Rodger, Barry, John, Stewart?? and occasionally Roger. I've omitted the rude and insulting ones.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
LOL - people are always mixing us up. You should hear the names Roger gets called - Barry seems to be a favourite for some reason [msnwink].

Sorry.
[/quote]
[/quote]