PDA

View Full Version : Name problem

Genie
07-04-2007, 12:48
I know this has been covered to some extent but this is the senario we face when we go in May :
My son is the father of my grandson but the mother who he is not married to put her family name on his birth certificate so officially his name is " different " to his father's. My son has the certificate to say he has parental rights etc and jointlegal guardianship but will the imigration require him to have a seperate customs declaration ? remembering that he is only 4 and would not be able to sign one ??
Any thoughts on this would be great please.

andrewandcarole
07-04-2007, 13:12
Jean
I would say not!
Although we are married, I choose to retain my maiden name.
The first few times we filled out separate forms but each time the immigration officer tore one up.
We now only do one and it's never been a problem. Apparently it is one per family unit - irrespective of names.
Carole

Genie
07-04-2007, 13:25
Thanks for that Carole, it makes sense really !

DiannaUK
07-04-2007, 15:31
We went through this in February when we travelled with my grand daughter and her mother who have different surnames.

You need a separate customs forms for people who live at different addresses but if they are at the same address, one form is sufficient, even if they all have different surnames.

Dianna

Genie
07-04-2007, 16:53
The thing is I wouldn't have expected a 4 year old child to have to sign a customs form !

andrewandcarole
07-04-2007, 17:14
I agree Jean. I'm sure they won't bat an eyelid if his father fills in the form which covers him too.

Carole

Genie
07-04-2007, 17:17
I'm sure you are right Carole, as long as the green waiver form is filled in correctly I'm sure everything will be fine !

christhear
07-04-2007, 19:58
Myself, my husband and my son all have different surnames. We have only ever used one customs form.
I can't remeber who used to sign his green Waiver form as he is now 9 and has done it himself for the last 2 years. I suspect it was me as I fill in all the forms. No one has ever questioned us.