PDA

View Full Version : Children & the 5 hour time difference.

The King of Sheba
03-04-2007, 03:04
Hello,

Does any one have any advice on getting children to adjust quickly to the 5-hour time difference in Florida?

We are travelling with a 3 year old & a 7 month old. I have visions of them waking at 2am local time (7am GMT) and expecting breakfast and not wanting to go back to bed.

I'm sure I'm getting worried over nothing, I mean it will be the same time difference for mummy & daddy as well, but just wondered if there are any tips or tricks to make it a smooth transition.

Thanks...Shane

millie
03-04-2007, 03:10
OK - not to panic you but when we took DD she was 20 months and she woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed singing Incy Wincy Spider at................................................ ..................4am!!![msneek][msneek]

We tried to keep her up as long as possible when we got there but to no avail.

I say just go with it! We eventually (when the sun rose!) went for a swim, got ready and set off for the Magic Kingdom. Its a great chance to see the opening ceremony as you are always wide awake! Then go home and try to stay up as late as you can!!!!

I would just try to keep them up as late as you can at nights for the first few to help them get used to the change. Young kiddies don't really understand time zones so I think its about all you can do!!!

Make for an amusing start to your home video! (Mind you the look on my face in ours is not pretty!!!!![msnwink][msnembarrased])
Lx

pieman790
03-04-2007, 09:59
We try and stay up as long as possible on the first night. We usually fly indirect via Chicago or Washington so we do not normally arrive at our villa until 9pm local time. Our kids (8 & 4) have a quick run around and are in bed for 10pm. They are up and about for 5-6am however we usually find for the first couple of days we are up at this time of day as we cannot sleep either.
If you fly direct and arrive mid afternoon try and keep occupied and go out for a meal at night.
It does take a few days to adjust but we find the kids are better at it than us.

Paula D-S
03-04-2007, 10:11
On the first morning after we arrived last summer our two girls were 10 and 4 and were up really really early 2am[msneek] although they very quickly get used to the time difference.
We did try staying up as late as our bodies would allow but I think in future we would go to bed as early as possible on the first night so we have at least a few good hours sleep.

Have a wonderful holiday.[msncool]

jo-anne
03-04-2007, 12:33
The best jet lag advice is to try and live as normally as posible to the time that you are in. When you arrive it will feel late for your body but in real time will probably be late afternoon or early evening if you have a daytime flight from the UK. So try and push the children on to their normal bedtime.
They will be desperate to sleep which is a good thing! To keep them in bed, black out the bedroom as much as you can. Villas usually have blinds at the windows which are great.
If they do wake up early, be as low key and quiet as possible and encourage them to just have a few more minutes rest - they'll probably go back down for an hour if you're lucky.
Your first full day will be very exciting and they will feel very tired so maybe have a quiet night in on that day and encourage an early night.
Children are very resiliant and they recover from jet lag very quickly.[msnsmile2]

Steve and Dawn
03-04-2007, 13:01
They will wake early and as you say so will you. Just go with it and take advantage of the early start to get a nice breakfast and arrive nice and early at a park. I think kids adjust very quickly. Our granddaughter did the same and she did nap in the afternoon.....which was nice....:)

CCollins
03-04-2007, 13:05
My friend always changes her watch the american time as soon as she gets on the plane - she then tells her children what the time is in american so they have a 9 hour flight getting used to the time difference.

She says it works for her!?!?

Having not travelled with young children I can't really help, but for me, I always find staying up late on your first night is a good idea, then be prepared for a very early morning on your first day as you are bound to wake up really early no matter what time you go to bed!

allyjack
03-04-2007, 13:12
We are ALL always awake at about 5-6 am the first morning. Usually take advantage of it and go to a park early and then come back late morning for a swim etc.
Takes us about 2-3 days to be back to normal. I find coming home much worse as the early mornings in FLorida are realy quite nice whereas late nights at home are not so appealing!!!
Alison

pieman790
03-04-2007, 13:13
I personally wake up early when i am on holiday in Florida and usually end up in Walmart at 6am leaving Cathy and the kids in bed. You can normally tell the British people from the locals as you dont normally see many locals in Walmart at 6am complete with kids doing a big shop.

GrahamC
03-04-2007, 14:30
We have always found that our boys adjust a lot faster than us. Yes they are up early on the first morning, but then we all are.

Try to have a really long first day, and you will find by day two they are almost back to normal.

Now two of mine are teenagers we have to use a crowbar to get them out of bed within a couple of days, just like at home.

ujpest doza
03-04-2007, 15:16
My daughter adjusted pretty well the 2 times she has been at 13 months and 23 months old.

She slept most of the outbound journey on both occassions and went to bed pretty much at her normal time so woke up pretty much at her normal time as well. We don't usually allow her to have a daytime sleep as when she does (even 15 minutes) she is wide awake long after her bedtime, so having a decent sleep on the plane helped adjust her body clock to the time difference.

berni_richards
05-04-2007, 02:11
also on the way back home try to get the baby to adjust by going to bed half an hour earlier each night. Our daughter was 4 mths when we went in Jan 07 and got used to the time difference on the way there and back within 3 days/nights.

Hope this helps

she is now 7 months but we wont be going again until Oct 07.

Good luck

The King of Sheba
08-04-2007, 14:12
Thanks for your feedback.

I guess Mum & Dad will be on the same time clock as the little ones, so it wont be too much of a shock.

We'll just have to laze by the pool for the first few days...!!!

Shane

chrizzy100
08-04-2007, 16:20
I wake up bright and early in FL and I live in the same time zone ...

[msnsmile2]

ccarcher
23-04-2007, 19:31
My Daughter (4) still wakes up through the night and is often downstairs with TV on by 6 am in the UK

Last night was up at 4 and 5 with her

Hate to think what its going to be like in Orlando come July

She'll be getting up as the wife and I go to Bed at this rate !!

TracyAndDean
24-04-2007, 01:07
I think children always adjust much quicker than adults - our son who's 7 doesn't have a problem, we keep him up late on the first night and he just eases into the time frame. Our daughter who is now 16 months woke a few times through the night but again was fine after 2 nights, I on the other hand take days to adjust!

ccarcher
24-04-2007, 15:05
Too be honest I also like the waking up early and making the most of the Florida Sunshine and an early start to the day, so the kids being up wont be a problem for me and it wears off after the first few days

Just wish I could keep my own eyes open late in the evening when I attempt to watch all that US TV

[:O]

Dinky
11-02-2008, 16:39
We first took our son when he was 7 months. Went to sleep at his normal time and then woke @ his normal time- problem was it was 3am US time[msneek]

He pretty much adjusted that day though and was fine after that.

More or less same thing on the way back but took longer to adjust back to UK time. We're heading out this weekend and he's 22mths now so expecting much of the same really. Much easier if you just go with it. First day everyone's knackered so if your L.O is up early and wants to go back to sleep @ 7am, Id go too for an hour or so.