PDA

View Full Version : When do you pack the cases?

CarolAnn
01-04-2007, 18:26
I used to think if I had MORE time I would be more organised with my packing. Now I do have more time I think , you are either good at it or not, and I am clearly not[msneek]

stabard
01-04-2007, 18:30
Well I start packing about a week before as I wash and iron the clothes - and woe betide any particular teenager who dares take stuff back out to wear[msnmad]

but then if it is just Lee and I and no kids I do it the night before [msnsmile2]

chris c
01-04-2007, 18:30
None of these apply to me really!

I pack everything the night before.
We don't take a lot out with us as everything is available in the villa!

LiesaAnna
01-04-2007, 18:53
i usually get the cases down (well hubby Steve does) and start filling them up around 2 months before we go
its because we sorry i get very excited!!!!

Fourdents
01-04-2007, 19:51
Liesa
You have your bags packed all year round.....go on admit it :):):):)

bouncey
01-04-2007, 20:57
put a spare change of clothes in the case and I'm good to go. [msntongue]

becbecs
01-04-2007, 21:35
Just throw everything in the cases and head out of the door. As long as we have our spare empty case for the return journey after all our purchases where fine. :D

LiesaAnna
01-04-2007, 21:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fourdents
Liesa
You have your bags packed all year round.....go on admit it :):):):)
[/quote]

Linda dont give all my secrets away!!!!
i buy new things all year round for the hols and put them in the top of my wardrobe!!

CERICROWLEY
01-04-2007, 21:55
Usually 2 days before.

My way of thinking, is as long as I have my ticket, passport, driving licence and money, Everything else I can buy or do without.

Cruella DeVilla
01-04-2007, 22:06
I generally have a list but I am still packing my hand luggage etc the minute I am rushing out the door! Every trip I say hand luggage only but not managed it yet especially with the new hand baggage allowances.

CarolAnn
01-04-2007, 22:10
I had you down as the expert CDV..I was hoping for tips:) Does it get easier the more travelling you do?

freddiehollie
01-04-2007, 22:35
It adds to the holiday spirit at our house to start, putting
odds & sods together for the holiday[^]

fiona
01-04-2007, 23:06
I pack in the spare room, get everything out, half it and then half it again. Have got travelling light suitcase wise down to a fine art, but if only I could do better on the handluggage - books & mags (for reading on the plane), change of undies in case of loss of suitcase, meds, spare prosthesis, passports etc, jewellery, camera and possibly laptop!

CarolAnn
01-04-2007, 23:38
That is exactly the problem Fiona. The main things in the cases take 2 mins, and don't amount to much....but it is the so called last bits/or things that can;t go in the suitcase for one reason or another[msneek]

palmvillas
02-04-2007, 01:51
We usually pack the day before, so long as i have my passport, money ,tickets and driving lisence i'm happy.I always take too much but i think that is something most of us ladys do.Have a great time in Florida Carol.

Debbie

CarolAnn
02-04-2007, 03:16
Thanks Debbie...I will do my best.... still haven't packed yet...so many things to do tomorrow mad!!.

CCollins
02-04-2007, 12:38
We do the same.

The cases go into the spare room and day by day things get thrown in the we want to take with us.

Having the cases out gets me in the holiday mood BIG TIME!

Not off until December so might leave the cases away for a little bit longer[msnwink]

CarolAnn
02-04-2007, 12:46
Nah!! Start now Caroline..we leave later today...still not packed, still doin jobs etc etc

ncmurray
02-04-2007, 15:02
Best of luck, Carol. Have a great time, and keep us posted!

CarolAnn
02-04-2007, 15:06
[8D] I have laid out 2 pairs of sunglasses and plenty of swim gear Nuala[msnwink] Mind I hear Thunderstorms are expected Thursday...good for the lawns[msnwink]...if it lasts more than 1 hour...I will have to shop[msnwink]

MTP
02-04-2007, 15:49
We only pack the day before we go, but as we are now owners we are also hoping to make more use of the owner's closet![msnsmile2]

orlandochris
02-04-2007, 17:13
I tend to start 2 days before, then gradually add more and more right up until the last minute!!

mizzy
03-04-2007, 01:46
i'm a "gradually add to the suitcase" sort of girl

i would like to know if any husbands take responsibility for packing?, mine certainly doesn't, allthough to give him his dues he did unpack today

Mizzy

Paula D-S
03-04-2007, 02:14
Having two young children I follow a list making sure I have everything they need then I hang all our clothes in a separate wardrobe ready to go in the cases the night before.
I take full responsibility for the packing mainly because I have too then on the way my husband always asks did you pack this or did you pack that[msnmad] this is the point when I feel like uppacking HIM[msnwink]

canarypam
03-04-2007, 02:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
Having two young children I follow a list making sure I have everything they need then I hang all our clothes in a separate wardrobe ready to go in the cases the night before.
I take full responsibility for the packing mainly because I have too then on the way my husband always asks did you pack this or did you pack that[msnmad]
[/quote]

I think all husbands do this Paula[msnmad]

CCollins
03-04-2007, 13:25
Mine does that's for sure.

I fondly remember one trip where we had both had a little too much to drink - and my DH went and UNPAKCED my suitcase the night before we flew!!![msnmad][msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

I still don't know what he was thinking!!!

pieman790
03-04-2007, 13:38
We normally get everything washed and ready to pack a week or so before we go. We pack the night before we go but it can be a late night as we usually wait until the kids are in bed.
Coming back is a different story. We are normally packing a couple of hours before we are due to leave the villa. Cathy insists on washing, drying and Ironing all the clothes before we come home.

Sue and Jere
03-04-2007, 20:43
I always get the suitcases out a couple of weeks before and keep adding to them. Just saves on the teenager son and hubby wearing it all and me keep washing it again. If it's in the case's then they can't wear it [msnwink]

orlandodaze
04-04-2007, 17:41
One year I had a case packed 3 months before we travelled but this was because I took the kids Summer clothes down from the attic and straight into the Florida case,nowadays we take very little because we buy most stuff in Florida . There is one teeshirt I always bring its very comfy and idle for lazing in ,I dont suppose I will ever throw it out .

Suzzee
05-04-2007, 15:00
I start putting things into the spare room about a fortnight before.
The cases get packed a couple of days before we go - hubby helps - he's better at folding than me and seeing as we split the clothes between the 2 cases [msnwink] (incase one goes missing) he does most of the folding to stop his clothes getting creased[msnwink].

Sue

dbrook
05-04-2007, 16:07
I put the cases in the spare room about a week before we go and gradually add.

If I did it any earlier I would forget what I had put in!

Would love to be ultra organised and have everything packed in advance, but don't have enough clothes and am always washing and ironing down to the last hour for the 5 of us.

It was a lot easier to pack when the kids were young and I packed for them. My now teenage girls are totally disorganised despite nagging and items always appear in the wash the night before that they require!

shenon
05-04-2007, 18:25
I'm a real last minute merchant and do get some things ready but always pack the night before,otherwise i tend to forget what i've packed:)

blott
05-04-2007, 22:19
We're lucky that most of our stuff is already in Florida so it's only the odd bits and bobs and new purchases that need to be packed - we normally just have one suitcase between two of us that weighs around 18 kg. We usually get some strange looks from check in staff who wonder where the rest of our luggage is hiding!

As for packing the one suitcase, that's the night before - it usually takes about 30 mins to assemble the things and pack them. I always do the packing.

canarypam
05-04-2007, 23:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CCollins
Mine does that's for sure.

I fondly remember one trip where we had both had a little too much to drink - and my DH went and UNPAKCED my suitcase the night before we flew!!![msnmad][msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

I still don't know what he was thinking!!!
[/quote]

NIGHTMARE !!!![msneek][msneek]

sharondl
09-04-2007, 01:36
once made mistake of giving husband some responsibily he was already off work so said he would pack, just a weekend away how hard could it be

came home quick shower, change and into car, arrived and found that he had packed about a weeks worth of clothes each but no underwear, but we had fishing rods.

Oh thanks dear they will really help!

I now always pack for me and kids and he packs for self

sharon

Maria Knight
09-04-2007, 12:10
I hate packing so I normally leave it to the last moment.
I then have to try all my clothes on before packing, in case I have put too much weight on and they don't fit me anymore.:(

I have lot's of clothes in my owners cupboard in Florida but I still have to have a full suitcase with me. I do envy people who can travel LIGHT!

Nikki D
26-04-2007, 10:47
I have to say Im a little sad when I come to packing. I have two months to go and I already have things ironed in the wardrobe waiting to go in the case. I have all my bits and bobs in already and never forget to put in a pair of ear planes in for my daughter. Lucy used to suffer terribe on the plane but I seen these and Lucy tried them. We would never go without them again. If anyone does suffer with their ears when flying, give them a go, they really helped my daughter.:D

CarolAnn
26-04-2007, 12:04
Great tip Nikki, I have never suffered from that problem thankfully, but I have seen some poor children in tears with the pain:(

julieanne
26-04-2007, 16:08
Haven't packed a thing yet [msnscared] and only 2 sleeps to go!!!

Nikki D
26-04-2007, 20:07
I would not be able to sleep if that was me Julie. My case is normally behind the front door with just two sleeps to go.Hope you have a fantastic time. I will be looking out for your full report the moment you return.
x:D

Milly
01-05-2007, 02:03
I alway pack the night before we go, I have been known to totake it out of the ironingpile and shove it in a case.

My attitude is Im not going to a third world country, and while my husband is playing golf ( AGAIN) I can go and buy what I have forgotten.

We have just managed to get another week off work that last week in August so FLORIDA here we come Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

domster
01-05-2007, 11:42
I normally pack a couple of days before. I always forget bits and pieces too.

cameron
02-07-2007, 11:10
I was nicely surprised to see 14% do what i do. Throw it in and run! I am going to make every effort this year and at least get the suitcases out a week before.

mizzy
02-07-2007, 12:35
i have a confession[msnembarrased] sorting through my vast wardrobe on saturday i found my flight bag with all the bits i hadn't got round to unpacking from march so after shredding the paper tickets and such then sorting through little bits and bobs i decided to start packing a little for my may 08 florida trip[msnembarrased][msnembarrased][msnembarrased]

there's not much in just some maps, pen notepad, an american ds charger and a mickey shaped bottle holder but i just couldn't resist making a start[msneek]

sad i know but i do believe i'm not the only one who's already started, isn't that right my tigger mad friend?[msnwink]

Mizzy

Pegasus928
02-07-2007, 15:51
LOL [msnsmile2] all I said was that my hand luggage pretty much stays packed [msnembarrased]

apart from those last minute essentials that I throw in last minute

I am sure last years puzzle book will do [msnsmile2]

Elaine

Rhosyn
02-07-2007, 16:25
Don;t ask Carol Ann as she packs while she walks around with the laptop talking on the forum.

08-04-2008, 11:01
Got my cases out, put one inside another so I have a spare case for the return[msnwink]

9 days to go[high5]

Jill
08-04-2008, 11:50
We are only taking one each this time although we will be coming back with 2 each. The extra 2 cases belong to our son and are for all the extra things he has purchased during his year at University of North Carolina. He has already bought extra cases to bring home the rest of his things.

Who said it was only women that shopped too much:D

TrishT
08-04-2008, 16:26
Any other holiday but florida I get the cases out about a week in advance and pack gradually, as there are 10 of us. Florida hols we put one each of the five medium cases inside the five large cases and travel very light so pack 2 days before we go. We all know by now what we want/need to take, know what we have at the villa and more so know what we want to bring back [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
08-04-2008, 17:07
the cases are getting less now as there will be 3 of us going on this trip[msnsad] doesnt take 5 minutes now as the 2nd youngest doesnt come either now so Steve Lauren and myself......so 3 cases to go and 6 to come back!![clap]

another
08-04-2008, 17:11
I generally pack the day before we go!! and then buy anything I have forgotten when we get there.

Up to now that list includes (but is not limited to!!)..

Swimming costume
Shower gel
shampoo
jumper/cardigan
shorts!!
sunglasses
PJ's

luckylady
08-04-2008, 22:12
I take so little luggage on our visit to Florida most of whst we need is already there, plus it's a good excuse to go shopping.[msnsmile2]

taylona
08-04-2008, 23:28
For this trip I packed the weekend before we came as I had to organise the family to leave as soon as school finished. This way I can stop my teenage daughter's wearing something they 'must' take.

berni_richards
09-04-2008, 02:03
I start packing 2 weeks before in the spare room I try on all my summer clothes and put back what doesnt fit. I pack for me and the baby then hubbie packs his own (the night before)though he is better at packing than me. With approx 3 days to go I try to shut the cases and when they dont fit I take about 1/2 the stuff out but leave most of the babys stuff in. Now she is bigger we might be able to share a case. We always come back to UK with 1 massive roller bag more than we went with we have spare suitcases in 1 of our closets over there. We also split the clothes up between all the cases just in case. Our hand luggage is alot more than it used to be nowadays I blame the baby and not the mum and dad :)

CERICROWLEY
09-04-2008, 16:12
On our last trip at Easter, I actually packed the morning we were due to fly take off 9.30

As I tend to always pack the same things all the time, and this trip was only for 5 days over Easter weekend.

dunkderby
10-04-2008, 01:36
I left my husband with 1 item to pack, his Electric Shaver (as he needed it in the morning), and he still managed to leave the plug/lead at home and had the cheek to ask 'didn't you pack it':(:(:(:(

Colleen

Jill
10-04-2008, 02:44
Colleen that sounds right. 'Head' and 'screwed on' comes to mind when my other half does his own packing.

Lyn
15-09-2008, 02:39
I always use the list from the last holiday to make a list for the current holiday. I start getting things ready weeks before and have things in and out of the cases so many times most people think I'm nuts. However I am a bit of a control freak, I do all the packing, I pack the cases, weigh them, then start over to distribute the weight better. As strange as this may seem I enjoy it and it is all part of looking forward to my vacation.

Seb-Flyte
01-12-2008, 19:30
Usually have everything washed an ironed a couple of days before, and pack the night before ! :D

mfairhurst
01-12-2008, 20:05
I get the things washed and dry and put them in one room with the cases ,Then 2 days before we go pack and if we have forgotten anything buy it in Florida as you would
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

letournerie
04-03-2009, 00:54
My list is ready 2 years before we go and I then start putting things in my holiday drawer [msnembarrased]
But......I never forget anything[msnwink]

Susan J
05-03-2009, 00:51
Okay Letournie- lets have the list ........... it might help me be more organised!

Stephen and Pam
06-03-2009, 03:59
We usually pack the night before we go and take very little.
With having a washer and drier in the villa....and several items already in Florida...our cases are pretty empty.
We usually fill them with a list of items our family wish us to purchase whilst in Florida :)

canarypam
06-03-2009, 11:29
We usually pack the night before but only because we are not very organised. The trouble is we always end up taking too much as we just shove things in.[msnembarrased]

reemur
06-03-2009, 17:31
I always pack the night before That way theres less chance of me forgetting anything
Carol

letournerie
07-03-2009, 01:01
I'd love to send you my list Susan, but it's in Dutch I'm afraid.We always have the same list and just change it per holiday.:D

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
Okay Letourenie- lets have the list ........... it might help me be more organised!
[/quote]

steelo
30-04-2009, 19:46
Im already packing and i dont go till september, i buy everything new and just put it straight in the case, 4 and a half months left whoop whoop:D

CERICROWLEY
01-05-2009, 13:20
Rebecca

One tip though. Do not buy new shoes and put them in, you will need well worn comfortable shoes, to last all day..

steelo
01-05-2009, 14:16
Hi im very aware about the comfy shoes, first time we went we all thought we were getting a bargain back in the uk with some cheap sandals we bought, after 1 day around the parks we all had sore blistered feet, from then on i bought us all a pair of crocs and havelnt looked back,xx :D

luckylady
05-06-2009, 14:54
I totally agree comfortable footwear is very important, I am always on the last minute when packing, I always think I can always buy when I arrive if I have forgotten to pack something.

Susan J
06-06-2009, 03:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by letournerie
I'd love to send you my list Susan, but it's in Dutch I'm afraid.We always have the same list and just change it per holiday.:D

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
Okay Letourenie- lets have the list ........... it might help me be more organised!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Geen probleem voor mij[catinhat]

Ben Jorell
30-10-2009, 22:56
As we never go in our summer, we (my wife) can pack 2/3 weeks before we go - apart from underwear + socks!

:D

Andrena
02-11-2009, 02:11
We take almost nothing with us as we have everything in the villa, but we do take two suitcases with two trevel bags inside them. That is for bringing everything home that we buy there. Still I suppose after this trip where we still have two bags each, we will just have one bag each - boo hoo!!

Andrena

kateydoodles
23-06-2010, 15:50
I don't think I've ever not been packing the night before! We're definately not the most organized! [msnembarrased]

jimiansville
23-06-2010, 21:05
I'm glad to hear we are not the only ones who pack the night before! Like others, we take very little with us as we have most of the things we need in the owners closet in the villa so we go with empty suitcases that come back full! We are in the villa at the moment and have bought a little folding luggage weigh scale to make sure we use every ounce of our baggage allowance!

tony2000
30-08-2010, 00:38
My bags are packed and we go in ten days time I cant Wait.
Tracy