PDA

View Full Version : dollar express

Anthony Ross
27-03-2007, 00:40
Hi thanks for all the help to previous queries though the more help you get the more you want so here goes. Am going to hire car from dollar via links from OV, have read about dollar express and keen to use this service. Have tried to find out with no joy if you are hiring child seats can you still use the express lane or do you have to use normal queing system. Thanks

roger
27-03-2007, 00:47
You can still hire child seats. These are collected from behind the counter, and you do go to the same counter with Dollar Express (just through a shorter queue).

chris c
27-03-2007, 01:24
Anthony, if at all possible, I would recommend that you take your own child seats.
The ones that the car hire companies supply are sometimes not as clean as you might like!!
When we had one for our baby granddaughter, it was not ideally suited to her age either.

SPANKY
27-03-2007, 21:14
On about Car seats..

What is the law in USA as far as car seats.
In the Uk they have just passed the law saying that if the child is under a certain age or height they must be in a car / booster seat.
Does this apply to USA as I'm taking my daughter who will be 6 years old. Will I require to hire a car/booster seat.

blott
27-03-2007, 21:33
This is the law in Florida for children as passengers in a vehicle.

What is Florida's Child Restraint Law?

All children 5 years of age or younger must be properly restrained no matter where they are sitting in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. (FL Statute 316.613).

What is the fine for a child restraint violation?

Penalty for violation is $60 and 3 points.

If the safety belt does not fit my child correctly should the shoulder belt be placed under the child's arm for a better fit?

Never put the shoulder belt under a child's arm or behind the back, as this increases the risk of severe injury in a crash. Use a booster seat to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts for children once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats at about 40 pounds and around 4 years old. Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and 4'9" should ride in a belt positioning booster seat

When can my child face forward?

Infants must ride rear-facing until they are at least one year old and weigh 20 pounds or more. Rear-facing, the infant should be semi-upright at an angle or no more than 45 degrees. A forward-facing older child should ride sitting upright. Never place a child in a child safety seat in the front seat of a vehicle equipped with a passenger air bag.

What if my baby is over 20 pounds but is not 1 year old?

There are now several infant and convertible seats that can be used rear-facing at higher weights.

Which child restraint device is the safest for my child?

Child safety seats that meet current Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213 and are used according to the vehicle owner's manual and child restraint manufacturer's instructions.

Hope that helps. :)

Susan J
28-03-2007, 14:44
With regard to the seat not being clean -Just say " can you change this,it isn't clean" or take a comfy towel with you -put that on the seat before your child is put in - this would be useful to have with you to shade the seat from the sun when you are leaving the car at a park for the day also -then just open the car door, get the towel out and shake it to cool it off, and place back in car, with child. I did this for my son when he was a baby -stops them overheating.

sundowner
28-03-2007, 21:22
When we flew with my granddaughter we took her car seat and it was not a problem. Even at the airport, all it meant was going to a separate part where they 'bagged and tagged'it. We felt much happier knowing we had the correct seat (and clean) for our little one.

Mary

Anthony Ross
29-03-2007, 19:03
Following Mary's reply does that mean its ok with airlines and airports to take car seats onto plane seperate to luggage allowance. If so this would a) save £s but more importantly feel comfortable about safety of seat.We are flying from newcastle.

roger
29-03-2007, 19:08
We always fly Virgin and they do take child seats at no extra cost and over and above main luggage allowance. The seat is bagged and tagged at a spearate desk at check-in then usually comes out with the push-chairs and other special items at the other end.

I'm sure most airlines have the same polocy, but I always recommend you check with the airline first.

ellie
29-03-2007, 19:27
I think the advice to take your own car seat is very sensible as the car hire companies sometimes run out of car seats, so if yours is a bit grubby you may not have an alternative.

By taking your own you know it is clean and comfortable and your child is already used to it. It will also save you a lot of money.

pieman790
29-03-2007, 21:24
We have flown with a number of airlines and never had a problem taking our car seats. In fact up until last year we use to take our youngest car seat on board the plane so she could sit in it during the flight.

orlandochris
07-08-2007, 00:30
So am I correct in the understanding that a 5 year old doesn't need a car seat, so long as the seatbelt fits correctly?

blott
07-08-2007, 02:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandochris
So am I correct in the understanding that a 5 year old doesn't need a car seat, so long as the seatbelt fits correctly?[/quote]Yes, that's correct according to the above. Unless he fits into this criteria:

Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and 4'9" should ride in a belt positioning booster seat.