PDA

View Full Version : Relatives In Florida

MELLY
11-09-2003, 19:22
Hi There...Me & Boyfriend R Looking Into Possibility of living & working in Florida..But ive a few questions..He has a Uncle who has lived in Orlando yrs & is always inviting him over saying wat a good life it is etc etc..So is it easier to get green cards etc etc if he has a relative already living there? & does the fact that we r not married make things more difficult?...

chrizzy100
11-09-2003, 19:55
quote:Originally posted by MELLY

Hi There...Me & Boyfriend R Looking Into Possibility of living & working in Florida..But ive a few questions..He has a Uncle who has lived in Orlando yrs & is always inviting him over saying wat a good life it is etc etc..So is it easier to get green cards etc etc if he has a relative already living there? & does the fact that we r not married make things more difficult?...

I don't think having an uncle living there makes its easier....you need a brother sister or parent.....

If you're not married then both of you will need to find a job offer that will give you an H1B or one of the other work visas....so you'll need a degree....or 12 years work experience in something like IT...etc.....

You could try to come over on a work permit for the summer months....lots of people come over to the Cape for 6 months every year.....they come back time after time....mostly from Ireland ...but I've seen tv shows of English people working down in FL....

sunshine state
12-09-2003, 18:17
I agree having an uncle there probably wont make as much difference you need a brother or sister or parent hope you sort things out though.

Chris7
12-09-2003, 18:24
"You could try to come over on a work permit for the summer months" - how does that work? I thought work permits were only for "students" ??

chrizzy100
12-09-2003, 19:16
quote:Originally posted by Chris7

"You could try to come over on a work permit for the summer months" - how does that work? I thought work permits were only for "students" ??

Well if they are.....some students seems a lot older then they used to be.....

We had a show over here a few years ago about girls from England working down in FL for around 9 months of the year.....they would leave the country for a few months....then come back.....I think that was before 9/11.....my daughter and father have a life time visa thats lets them work for 9 months over here.....but they got that back in the days when you always needed a visa to enter the USA....and my father worked here sometimes for a USA company....we asked about them in 95 and were told they don't give them out anymore....so I was the only one having to spend time at customs on trips to the USA my father mother and daughter could just walk through.....

Chris7
12-09-2003, 20:52
Thanks for the info - but surely you wouldn't want to miss out on the nice chat with those friendly guys from immigration;)

chrizzy100
12-09-2003, 21:24
quote:Originally posted by Chris7

Thanks for the info - but surely you wouldn't want to miss out on the nice chat with those friendly guys from immigration;)

Nice chat....LOL...

I have an online friend in USA immigration.....hes the one that turns up on your doorstep with a big back car and a gun to see you get your one way ticket back home if you over stay your visa.....he can be nice.....but I'd not want to get on the wrong side of the guy......