PDA

View Full Version : Collection & Return

Budboy
20-03-2007, 00:32
We are planning a trip where one of our party arrives and departs one day earlier than the rest of us.

Booking the gold option

My question is can the person arriving early collect the car and when the rest of arrive have one or two of us added to the insurance and one of us return the car as the person arriving early will be gone?

or more simply does the original renter have to be present for the duration of the rental.

roger
20-03-2007, 01:31
With Dollar (the others are less flexible):

One person can collect, then once the others arrive, you can all go to any local, convenient depot and add the other drivers (this must be done before they can legally drive).

Once this is done, it does not matter who returns the car.

chris c
20-03-2007, 15:55
We found this flexibility a boon when we booked a Dollar car through this site for our trip last September.

My husband and myself arrived at Orlando airport the day before our daughter and her partner.
The following day we drove to Sanford to collect them. We then had my daughter added as another driver without any problem.
We then left the day before them and the process was reversed, again with no problem.

Carla
20-03-2007, 17:06
None of the companies check who is giving the car back. They just check the mileage and look for any damage.[msnsmile2]

blott
20-03-2007, 19:47
Carla's right, anyone can return the car as they don't check - I've never been asked who I was! All they're interested in is the car fuel tank, mileage and damage checking.

E. Cosgrove
20-03-2007, 21:36
We are planning to do this in Nov as our friends arrive and leave the day after us, I thought we could do it but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Would you think it was better to have the insurance done at the airport as they arrive or would it be better to go to the depot on 192 the next day?

blott
20-03-2007, 22:00
If you do it at the airport, you'll have to park up as they probably need the paperwork so, as long as they won't be driving until the next day, I would have thought that was preferable?

If you park up in the cell phone parking area and get them to ring you when they're ready, you can then drive straight to the terminal arrivals kerbside and pick them up - no parking charges.

E. Cosgrove
20-03-2007, 22:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott

If you park up in the cell phone parking area and get them to ring you when they're ready, you can then drive straight to the terminal arrivals kerbside and pick them up - no parking charges.
[/quote]

We noticed this area for the first time on our recent trip, what a brilliant idea. Wish we had something like this at Heathrow and Gatwick.

Budboy
20-03-2007, 22:20
Thank you for the help, A booking will be on it's way soon