PDA

View Full Version : Filling up

Gordons Coming
15-03-2007, 14:52
I seem to remember on my last visit to Florida that the process of filling the cars up at the petrol stations was slightly different in USA.

Can anyone remind me?

Obviously in UK you just fill up then go and pay.It was a little different in Orlando or am I going mad?

Lynne S
15-03-2007, 15:00
We have always paid first then fill-up :)

Gordons Coming
15-03-2007, 15:03
I see, so how does that work if you want to fill up the tank but don't know how much it will cost etc?

LiesaAnna
15-03-2007, 15:06
think they click it off inside as slow you down when you get to the amount you have been in and paid? am sure this is what we did

NigelM
15-03-2007, 15:07
I have always made of plum out of myself. Can someone elaborate on exactly waht you need to do.

Also are all SUV's unleaded or Deisel?

Cheers

Snapper
15-03-2007, 15:10
Hi Steve,

There are a couple of different 'flavours' of filling station around Orlando at the moment. This might get to be a bit of a long-ish not but I'll try to give you the full low down.

Most of the filling stations out there currently accept credit cards at the pump in the same way they do here in the UK. You get an option usually of a couple of buttons that say Pay-At-Pump or Pay-Inside. If you hit the Pay-At-Pump button the pump will talk you through the card swipe, authorise the payment and then ask you to select a grade of fuel and talk you through filling. It will even print you a receipt at the end if you ask for one. If you hit Pay-Inside the usual way of working is to fill-up then head inside to pay, again just like the UK.

That's the theory! [msnwink] There are a few exceptions ...

Some filling stations now seem to ask for a zip code when you hit the Pay-At-Pump button to use a credit card. If the pump asks you for a zip code, give up with the card at the pump option and hit Pay-Inside. I've found that the Citgo stations are buggers for this, so I just give them a wide berth and fill-up somewhere else. They don't seem to have figured that there is life beyond the boundaries of the US and that some cards don't have a zip code. Ho hum!! It's their loss. Literally! The BP stations (good old British Petroleum!!) are usually perfect.

Sometimes, and especially after dark, filling stations will ask you to pre-pay before filling up. There is usually a sign at the pump telling you this. Sometimes the pump itself will tell you. At these times just leave a credit card with the folks in the office or give them a bunch of dollars. They are all usually nice people so if you are at all worried about the process never be afraid to ask them.

As a last bit of knowledge, about half the pumps in the US have a clever little metal catch thing that will set the pump working automatically. You can start filling, click on the catch and just leave it. It will click off automatically when you are full. It's a fantastic little system. Why we don't have them in the UK I just don't know.

Have a great trip.

blott
15-03-2007, 15:14
OK...

Although most gas station pumps have a facility to take a credit/debit card swipe actually at the pump, you'll find that these won't work as they normally have to be registered at a US address and the machine asks for your zip code.

You may be able to pay inside with the cashier with a credit/debit card though but not at every gas station so, if you find one that works for you, stick with it!

You can choose how you want to pay actually on the pump so check out the options and the display, which will tell you what to do.

You pay inside usually before filling your vehicle. Pay $20 or another set amount and then watch the pump so you can stop when you've got to that total. If you don't manage to fill up what you've paid, go back in and get a refund. If you need more petrol, then go back inside and pay an additional amount.

You sometimes need to select the octane level of the gas so choose the lowest unleaded one. I've never had diesel anything when I've rented so I think you'll find they all run on normal unleaded.

Sometimes, when you've done this, you need to remove the nozzle from the pump and lift up the nozzle holder flap before you can pump gas - there should be instructions on the pump about this so follow whatever it says.

Gordons Coming
15-03-2007, 15:15
Brilliant Steve...........and Blott

Thanks very much.Very helpful.

bargainqueen
21-03-2007, 08:39
On our recent trip I hired a Jeep we filled up the tank twice and both times the tank was 1/4 full, I pre-paid $40 and got $1.75 and 98c back. Gas prices were creeping back up again and were around the $2.50 mark when we left at weekend.

I put a final $10 in at Walmart and they let me pay after filling up, there price was $2.47 a gallon the cheapest around.

I always find it amazing that two garages either side of the road can display different prices for fuel and people will still fill up in the more expensive one. The cheapest garage around appears to be Racetrack.

chrizzy100
21-03-2007, 15:13
We have two garages like that barginqueen...one is sometimes 30 cents cheaper...but most people still use the other one...

aldridgeclan
14-08-2007, 19:28
just got back and the best filling station was the one near to publix on the 192 where there is a taco bell opp, we had a 7 seater mini van for 3 weeks and put in $150 over this period, done loads of driving, clear water 2x and kennady. $50 filled it right up. why is our petrol so exspensive here in the uk?

Nina A
14-08-2007, 20:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i] why is our petrol so exspensive here in the uk?
[/quote]

I believe 80p in every £1 is tax [msnwink]

Amazingly the 2 Hess gas stations in Walt Disney World are among the cheapest, also WalMart on Vineland Rd (the SR535). Beware the ones around Lake Buena Vista just outside Disney though as they're among the most expensive!

15-08-2007, 00:50
We just filled up at Celebration and the pump asked for a zip code so I just went inside and paid $30 on my debit card which was almost a full tank in a 300c[msnwink]