PDA

View Full Version : Requirement for car hire?

calamy24
06-03-2007, 01:21
Hi folks.
Heading out on 31/4 with my wife and 2 kids(12 and 14).I am staying at Quality Inn Plaza on I Drive.At the minute I haven't hired a car and was just wondering if those of you with greater experience think I should do so.
Thanks.

MarkJan
06-03-2007, 01:29
Personally, I would always hire a car, even if it is just for the freedom to go exactly where ever you want,whenever you want.

www.uscarhire.co.uk

E. Cosgrove
06-03-2007, 02:23
Hi Ian
without a doubt the best way to get around is by car. You will find your activities somewhat restricted if you limit yourself to the I trolley and the shuttles.......it can be done, but it wouldn't be my choice.

jaff
06-03-2007, 03:03
i wouldn't go without a car.wife and and i and 2 kids and we book the 7 seater minivan...best choice.space and comfort[msnsmile2]

BarryR
06-03-2007, 03:16
Ian,

Staying in a hotel or a villa, I would recommend a car, there is just so much to do and see on the Orlando/Kissimmee area. Using taxis or hotel transfer buses/ITrolly would drive me mad.

My opinion - rent a car, we always do for the flexibility and freedom. We sometimes go for a big 4x4 as we own relatively sensible cars in the UK. Great fun and Florida is geared up with everywhere having parking.

ncmurray
06-03-2007, 04:17
Ian,

Why not try to do a bit of both. You could go without a car for the first half of your holiday, and then rent one for the next half It cuts the price in half, and you could schedule your parks and shopping trips to fit in with when you have a car. Also, having your own transport means that you can go whereever you want, whenever you want! You can only really get to know a place when you are free to roam. As others have already said, it really is the only way to do it!

Pegasus928
06-03-2007, 12:34
We always go for a car, not just for the freedom it gives but also for the places that you stumble across when out and about - sometimes due to a wrong turn. This is how we found Old Town on our first trip and we end up there a couple of times each time we are there now.

Pegasus

sundowner
06-03-2007, 15:50
I agree with Nuala, you could try half and half. On I-drive there seem to be plenty of trolley buses and your hotel probably provides transport to the parks.
Mary

wrpac00
06-03-2007, 16:08
Hire a car, it makes life so much easier.

wendyd
06-03-2007, 19:09
A car gives you much more freedom. Even when i go without husband i always hire a car.
Wend

gwendolinemary
06-03-2007, 19:34
I can't imagine going and not hiring a car as you have so much more freedom with one. Having said that I know a few people who have gone and not hired a car and had a fantastic holiday just the same. Just what you're used to I suppose.
We also hire a 4x4 as it's such fun to drive about in and petrol is so much cheaper than here. Mind you I take ill getting back into my wee Astra when we come home!

Jules
06-03-2007, 23:31
The first time we went to Florida (1993)we were very nervous about driving so had decided not to get a car. A friend then persuaded us that the driving was simple so we went ahead and booked one.
It was the best decision we ever made. We took coach tours to Busch Gardens and Kennedy because we hadn't got a clue how to get there on our own but we used the car for shopping trips, driving to restaurants and the theme parks. Even though we were staying on International Drive and our hotel offered a free shuttle to the parks the car gave us so much freedom that after the first visit we never gave the driving a second thought. I couldn't do without my car at home and I certainly couldn't do without it in Florida.

Fairground
07-03-2007, 00:11
As good compromise is get a car for the 2nd week as said above you can see quite a lot using the i ride busses (get a week pass)then jump on ride up and down when you see somthing interesting jump off you can get to Sea world and Universal Studios using i ride.

The best thing is to use this forum it is a great resorce, get some ideas of places to see and things to do and treat yourself to something nice (open top or 4x4) and go explore, see more of the real america. The actual driving is easy, I find it is slower and less stressfull.
Also a top tip is rent your car from this site I have done so 3 times Roger is realy helpful and the prices are hard to beat.

Enjoy!!

Chris

calamy24
07-03-2007, 14:43
Just a quick thanks to everyone who replied with some excellent advice.I like the idea of hiring a car for the second week so that looks like the solution.

Thanks again,
Ian