PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire at Miami International

xtratime
04-03-2007, 00:11
Hi

I'm new to the board. I,m about to book a car from Miami International Airport at the end of June but I notice that none of the companys are based at the airport.

Which is the best for this location? Is it a case that only the driver gets picked uo and has to return for passengers and luggage?

Also when a free upgrade is offered, is there any possibility that it may not be available at the time of pick-up and would I be better to book the larger car to be sure?

roger
04-03-2007, 01:01
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

It doesn't make much diffrence which rental company you use as they are all within a similar distance, and all provide a free shuttle bus. There is no reason for all the drivers and passengers to go to collect the car together.

Although the free upgrades are not 100% guaranteed, Budget tell us it would be very unlikely you wont receive an upgrade. In the event the upgraded vehicle is not available they will offer you a double upgrade to the next size up, so it would be unlikely for no car upgrade to be available.

trevlad
04-03-2007, 03:05
WORD OF ADVICE. DONT USE THE RENTAL CAR BOOTHS IN THE AIRPORT NEAR TO THE EXIT, GO OUT OF THE TERMINAL AND GET ON THE BUS TO THE RENTAL PLACE . WAS MAYBE 10 MINUTE RIDE OR SO. THE REASON I SAY THIS IS THAT EVEN IF YOU BOOK IN AT THE AIRPORT YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO TAKE THE BUS TO THE RENTAL PLACE, BUT THE GUYS AT THE AIRPORT WILL TRY TO BLAG YOU FOR MORE MONEY FOR AN UPGRADE OR TANK OF PETROL THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR. I CAN SAY THIS AS I HAVE EXPERIANCE OF THIS TYPE OF ACT. THE GUYS AT THE RENTAL PLACE ARE MOST HELPFUL

Katys Grandad
04-03-2007, 10:55
I have rented from Miami Airport on several occasions. As advised above, it is a short ride on the shuttle buses to the various company depots.

Be aware that Miami is a very busy airport (its my least favourite in the US) and if you are arriving on a flight from the UK you will be 1 of hundreds wanting to board the shuttle buses with lots of luggage. Its not uncommon for the shuttle bus to reach your terminal already full and pass you by. If you are confident that you can find your way back to the terminal and park to collect the rest of your party then it might be worth it for the driver to go ahead for the car alone.

Also, the rental depots are not in the best of areas, not particularly well signposted, and it's easy to get lost both leaving from and returning to drop off your car. My advice would be to keep a close eye on where the depot is when you pick the car up to avoid problems when you bring it back.

Jill
04-03-2007, 13:33
Katys Grandad you have been unfortunate as we have often flown to Miami and although it is a busy airport we have never had problems getting on the car hire bus to go to collect a car.

Must admit we actually like Miami airport because unlike Orlando you do not have to put your luggage back on a conveyor belt and wait for it a second time so get through in less time.

Katys Grandad
04-03-2007, 17:40
Hi Jill

I've been unlucky 3 times then!!![msnwink]

Last November I flew First Class from Heathrow, was about the 2nd or 3rd off the plane and same through immigration. Even so, after I collected my priority luggage, 2 Dollar courtesy buses didn't stop at my terminal because they were full.

I don't have this experience at any other US airport I fly into and I flew over 100,000 transatlantic miles last year.

No Shoes
04-03-2007, 19:16
We nearly always use Miami as we call in to see friends before heading north.

Experience has taught us to all get on the bus and go to the depot to pick up the car. When you are tired after the journey the last thing you need is logistical problems. There is a wide highway just after you leave the car hire compound and it is easy to take the wrong road. We always put the carhire location into the sat nav before leaving as it makes it so much easier to find on the return journey.

We always stay at least one night locally before heading out as you will be too tired to start a long journey the same day.

A night somewhere on the beach is a great start to the holiday.[msncool]

xtratime
04-03-2007, 20:45
Thanks for the info folks

Flights and car all sorted.

All I need to do now is decide where I want to stay in the Miami area for a couple of days and a select villa in orlando for two weeks.

Katys Grandad
04-03-2007, 22:48
There are all the usual chains around the airport and a hotel actually within the terminal which I understand is not particularly good or cheap but, obviously, very convenient.

The Embassy Suites has some 2 bedroom suites ideal for families at reasonable rates.

Lesley S
05-03-2007, 02:02
What happened to my posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting about hotel near the airport, but still looking for posting.