PDA

View Full Version : Turnpike cost Miami - Orlando

paulm
26-02-2007, 16:19
Hello All,

In August 2007 I will be spending a few days in Miami, then driving up to Orlando for 2 weeks.

Does anyone know approx. how much the total toll cost would be if I drive up the Turnpike ?

I have not definitely decided the route yet, as I will not be in a hurry, I am also considering the Highway 27 then 441 route via South Bay, Okeechobee, Yeehaw Junction.

thanks

Paul

ujpest doza
26-02-2007, 16:47
http://www.floridasturnpike.com/

Snapper
26-02-2007, 17:07
It's about $20 Paul, give-or-take a few dollars depending on where you jump on and jump off the Turnpike. Figure $20-$25 and you won't be miles out.

I've gone south from Orlando to Miami before on hwy-27 but have never gone the north route. To be honest I wouldn't really recommend it unless you really want to try it. It's a bit of a chore of a drive with lots of stopping and starting. It put about 3 hours, maybe even more, on our journey and we didn't find much interesting to see. I'd choose the Turnpike any time over hwy-27.

Alternatively, if you wanted to turn the trip into a bit of a day out why not head across Alligator Alley just outside Miami to pick-up the Gulf Coast; then drive north up the coast stopping off at a few nice coffee shops and beaches along the way. The whole coast is really beautiful. Manasota Beach is a personal favourite, and there's a great Starbucks in the middle of Lido Key (Longboat Key, Sarasota) which is a great place for a bit of people watching. From there you can pick your way up the coast and then take the I-275 causeway across the bay to St Pete's and Clearwater. Find a nice restaurant for dinner in Clearwater and then head up to Orlando along I-4. It's a much nicer drive than just heading up hwy-27.

ellie
27-02-2007, 05:40
Will give you a definitive answer in about 2 weeks time.....if you can hang on. Last time we went down to Miami it was just under $14.[msnwink]

Jill
27-02-2007, 12:23
We paid $10.70 from when we entered off the road that cuts through from the 27 down into Miami last April. We often use the 27 and it does not add that much if any to your journey. We found Southern Dunes to University of Miami is roughly the same length of time whether we go down the turnpike or straight down the 27.

Robert5988
27-02-2007, 13:14
Another alternative is to take the I95 up the Atlantic coast and head west on 192 at Melbourne. Also some places to drop in for lunch etc.

Not as scenic as Snapper's Gulf coast suggestion, but I would have thought more direct.

Obviously the few $$$ cost for the Turnpike would not deter anyone wanting the quickest route - but its Florida at its ugliest.

alastair
01-03-2007, 17:22
Is Alligator Alley the US 41?

Snapper
01-03-2007, 19:17
It's I-75 Alastair, a little to the north of hwy-41, but I dare say hwy-41 would work just as well, if not better. I can't remember driving it (hwy-41) but it would be just as scenic. Is is 41 that takes you past the Everglades National Park?

CarolAnn
01-03-2007, 19:28
I must keep this thread in mind. We have just booked flights for October and we are going to Miami. May stay a day or two , not sure. But last time we flew out of Miami, we drove down from the villa on the H27 [msncool]. I loved it, but would prefer a different route this time. I like your route Steve, sounds my cup of tea or coffee [msnwink]as the case may be[msnsmile2]

becbecs
01-03-2007, 21:01
Think we paid around £14 in 2005.

alastair
01-03-2007, 22:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
It's I-75 Alastair, a little to the north of hwy-41, but I dare say hwy-41 would work just as well, if not better. I can't remember driving it (hwy-41) but it would be just as scenic. Is is 41 that takes you past the Everglades National Park?
[/quote]

Thanks Steve.