PDA

View Full Version : Car hire without a credit card

Bex
26-02-2007, 13:49
Hi everyone i hope someone here will be able to help, i have checked the FAQ's both on here & on the Dollar website, but couldn't find an answer.
We have our flights, car & villa all booked for April 2008 (yes i'm an early bird) my question is about our car hire, we booked the silver option, but are thinking of upgradeing to gold cover, would we still need a credit card for the car hire? we haven't used a credit card in years, in previous years we have always gone with other family members who put the petrol etc on their credit-card. We would prefer not to start another credit-card again just for car hire. We do have a Maestro debit card, which is what we usually use as back up money etc....

Any help or advice would be great, Becca

roger
26-02-2007, 14:30
The only way of doing this is if you are collecting from MCO on the Gold option as they do not take a card swipe for Gold option vouchers.

Alternatively, Visa debit is OK, if you are able to get on of those on your current account?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Bex
Hi everyone i hope someone here will be able to help, i have checked the FAQ's both on here & on the Dollar website, but couldn't find an answer.
We have our flights, car & villa all booked for April 2008 (yes i'm an early bird) my question is about our car hire, we booked the silver option, but are thinking of upgradeing to gold cover, would we still need a credit card for the car hire? we haven't used a credit card in years, in previous years we have always gone with other family members who put the petrol etc on their credit-card. We would prefer not to start another credit-card again just for car hire. We do have a Maestro debit card, which is what we usually use as back up money etc....

Any help or advice would be great, Becca
[/quote]

Bex
26-02-2007, 15:13
Thanks Roger, we are flying into Sanford Int'l. We do have a visa/delta card but it's contacted to our current account & prefer not to even take this card with us. At the outside do you know if you can use cash or Travellers cheques? or maybe we need to look into pre-paid mastercard [?]

roger
26-02-2007, 18:48
I wouldn't risk cash or TCs as at Sanford they may or may not take them. Likewise, at Sanford, on the Gold option, Dollar usually don't ask for a credit / debit card swipe, but not worth the risk in case they do.

If you really don't want to use your Visa Debit, then maybe as you suggest, the pre-paid Master Card may be your best bet.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Bex
Thanks Roger, we are flying into Sanford Int'l. We do have a visa/delta card but it's contacted to our current account & prefer not to even take this card with us. At the outside do you know if you can use cash or Travellers cheques? or maybe we need to look into pre-paid mastercard [?]
[/quote]