PDA

View Full Version : What laws do i need to be aware of??

martek
25-02-2007, 23:07
Hi Guy's
Compared to here in the UK.
How careful do you have to be driving around florida.
Is speeding alot more strictly controlled etc etc.
I don't intend to break the law, but just wondering how nervous i need to be.
Cheers Dave.

blott
25-02-2007, 23:11
You'll find some hints and tips here. http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_457.asp

Be very careful with both speeding and drink driving - both are strictly enforced.

BarryR
25-02-2007, 23:18
Dave,

The 2 driving laws I consider worth a reminder are, you cannot pass a school bus when picking up or dropping off children and the ability to turn right at a red traffic light if all clear and you stop to check all is clear, unless a sign prohibits turning on red.

Most of the other rules of the road are common sense or the same as over here.

MarkJan
25-02-2007, 23:21
Stick to the speed limit. You're on holiday, no need to rush.

Clare R
26-02-2007, 00:38
Windscreen wipers on, lights on.
Park 'nose in' so the police can see the car number plate
STOP at EVERY place it says Stop
It is very easy in supermarket car parks and driving around petrol stations to revert back to driving on the left, just be aware.

Robert5988
26-02-2007, 01:21
On Interstates(Motorways) or major dual carriageways a lot of traffic exceeds the speed limit by up to 10mph or so(not that I am advocating you do the same). However in Urban areas you will get stopped for even a couple of miles or so over the limit.

Rolling past a STOP sign at 1mph, even if you can clearly see it is safe to do so, will be trouble for you if caught.

Most of us find driving in the USA less frenetic than the UK, with one major exception.

That is the tailgating, and drivers 'undertaking' you and 'cutting you up'. We used to have a slogan about leaving a gap between you and the car in front in UK - "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule". In Florida this translates to "the fool in front has left a 2 car length gap I can squeeze into"

Kazzie
26-02-2007, 03:29
We were told on our visit this time by some neighbour friends that if you are passing a police car that has stopped a vehicle on the hard shoulder that you should pull out into the far side lane if it is safe to do so, if not then to slow right down as you pass.

Karen

Clare R
26-02-2007, 10:22
If there are emergency vehicles dealing with an incident then the Move Over Law comes into effect. Move over at least one lane and reduce speed to 20mph below the speed limit.

Albert the Frog
27-02-2007, 15:19
I love driving anywhere but have to say that in this area of the States I have never had any problems.I actually find that when I come back to the UK I still drive slower than normal because you get in the flow-common sense and courtesy I reckon are the keywords-bear in mind that a lot of the drivers will also be tourists as well so you all learn together!

Pegasus928
01-03-2007, 01:33
Whenever we have been we have done exactly what everyone else on here has suggested. The rules are pretty similar to those here and the speed limits are extremely visible so stick to them.

As previously stated you are on holiday so there is no need to rush.

Bearing in mind that their roads are actually called Highways we couldn't find a Highway Code [msnsmile2]

Pegasus

steph_goodrum
01-03-2007, 06:00
The other thing we noticed today with Yellow school buses is that they have a sign (and do) stop for a few seconds at EVERY railroad crossing, so be aware if you're approaching one even if the lights aren't flashing at the crossing the bus will stop (even if is not carrying children).

skippy
24-10-2007, 07:31
If you see traffic lights just flashing amber, you do not need to stop at these. It is just a warning that the lights are used at peak times only.
I was travelling up the 27 a few weeks ago when a person not used to the system, decided to brake and stop at the amber flashing lights at the Waverly Barn road junction. There were some screeching tyres (not only from me) and a few choice words as well.
They could have caused a nasty accident. Just be aware.