PDA

View Full Version : Universal - Islands of Adventure

Cottons
25-02-2007, 14:48
We need all your help and expereince again please.

I've read some of the otehr posts about US - IOA which in places is relatively positive but in others quite negative. Last year we spent 4 days at disney and a further 3 at the water parks, this year we though just 1 day at disney and maybe buy a 4 park flex ticket ?

My question is how suitable is Universal/IOA for 12, 10, 7 and 4 year old girls, we know that sea world would be fantastic but would we be better to just stick to disney at these ages.

Also could I have some views on the quality and cleanliness of the universal/IOA parks and rides; are all of them open (seemed to be some debate that alot were being refurbished?) and are they good fun ?

Once again, thanks in advance for your help

Mark, Tracy, Sian, Emily, Bethany and Hannah

florida4sun
25-02-2007, 15:07
My children loved US and IOA at all ages. IOA is the favorite. For the 3 year old dont miss the Barney Show and take a towel for the fantastic water play area.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cottons
We need all your help and expereince again please.

I've read some of the otehr posts about US - IOA which in places is relatively positive but in others quite negative. Last year we spent 4 days at disney and a further 3 at the water parks, this year we though just 1 day at disney and maybe buy a 4 park flex ticket ?

My question is how suitable is Universal/IOA for 12, 10, 7 and 4 year old girls, we know that sea world would be fantastic but would we be better to just stick to disney at these ages.

Also could I have some views on the quality and cleanliness of the universal/IOA parks and rides; are all of them open (seemed to be some debate that alot were being refurbished?) and are they good fun ?

Once again, thanks in advance for your help

Mark, Tracy, Sian, Emily, Bethany and Hannah
[/quote]

christhear
25-02-2007, 15:14
We have just returned from Florida and visited both IOA and Universal Studios. Being that it was February some rides did not open until 10am, and a couple of attreaction only ran on certain dyas of the week, but this was low season.
There will be a couple of rides that the younger 2 can not do at IOA, but plenty to keep them amused. There are great play areas at both parks for the younger ones.
Remeber you also get Wet n'wild with the four park flex - another park suitable for all ages.

suegooding
25-02-2007, 15:36
Check out their website to help you with deciding as to whether you might like to visit. Some rides have a minimum hieght restriction. Have a good vacation.

ncmurray
25-02-2007, 17:49
I would have thought that with children of those ages, that Universal and Islands of Adventure would be even more suitable than the Disney parks. The rollercoasters are more extreme than anything that Disney has to offer, and there are also lots of amusements for the younger ones. The older ones will love Spiderman and the rollercoasters if they dare, and the younger ones will have a ball in Seuss
Landings(?), among other things. Absolutely everyone will enjoy the Jimmy Neutron ride and the Shrek show!

The cleanliness and general atmosphere of Universal I would put on a par with Disney, but in all honesty, no staff can compare with the Disney staff! While the staff in Universal are friendly and helpful, Disney staff do just that little bit more.

I think your choice of tickets is ideal. one day at Disney and four at Universal sounds just right. You could always buy another day at Disney if you felt you needed it. I hope this helps.

millie
25-02-2007, 18:05
Personally I don't like Universal Studios at all. I think it is not of the same standard as the other parks. The rides sound great but it would be better floored and redone to the same standard as Universal Islands of Adventure. IOA is a lovely park to walk around in. It is themed brilliantly and has lots of rides. The only thing I would say is that I would say if you are not really into extreme rides it is not worth doing. I spent an awful day there being the bag watcher while everyone else queued for rides. There are a few things for younger children. I suppose it depends how adventutrous your children are.
I know some people love both parks and my DH is one of them. Although he agrees with how Universal looks and feels. Just my opinion.

You could always buy a small ticket and see how you like it for yourself. I am sure there are many websites dedicated to those parks you could try?
L

Albert the Frog
25-02-2007, 18:26
You'll gather from my previous posts that I am a fan of Universal and IoA so have to add my ha'pen'worth.
There is far more to these parks than big and extreme-we laugh more as a family at these parks-thinking of popeyes barges,shrek,spiderman,dr seuss,the water play area,jurassic park,dudley do right,the on street entertainment-none of which could be described as big/extreme.
to me your 12,10,7 year old will be blown away-the 4 year old will probably go more for the magic kingdom that i think is deliberately aimed at the younger end-not a criticism because they do it so well but with Citywalk as well i would definitely allow a fair bit of time at these 2 parks-i love 'em!

LiesaAnna
25-02-2007, 21:51
they would have a fab time!
mine were 9, 15, and 20 i think if memory serves me right, it was a couple of years ago ow, it was great! i think it was suitable for all ages!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/LiesaAnna/200571292132_100_0586_0007.jpg

glasgowmary
26-02-2007, 02:48
my favourite parks !!! think it is personal choice and i do also like disney but , do prefer universal . why not try it as you haven ' t been before ? having said that i know lots prefer disney so it really is up to choice . on universal website you can see the rides it might help you make your mind up , good luck

eagleydo
26-02-2007, 13:57
Our Favourite park!!!

Liesa love the picture, not seen that one before, bet you got lots we haven't seen. Come on share.

MarkJan
26-02-2007, 13:59
IOA is now my favourite park, pushing Busch Gardens into second.

Robert5988
26-02-2007, 17:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The only thing I would say is that I would say if you are not really into extreme rides it is not worth doing. I spent an awful day there being the bag watcher while everyone else queued for rides.[/quote]
That strikes a chord with me!

I spent exactly the same dreadful day as I don't enjoy extreme rides.

It was hot, humid, and the queues were really long for the popular rides.

McjohnjM
26-02-2007, 17:30
Love IOA and Universal, lots for everyone to do at both parks, we feel disney is really only for the younger ones, but as someone else has said give it a go, at least then you can say you have tried, better to regret something you have done that regreg something you have never tried. But whatever you decide to do, enjoy.
Kim Mc.

eagleydo
27-02-2007, 03:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The only thing I would say is that I would say if you are not really into extreme rides it is not worth doing. I spent an awful day there being the bag watcher while everyone else queued for rides.[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't do extreme rides but this is still my favourite park. Plenty to do for scaredy cats like me. I love to do the walkthru to fire and ice, its great. Get out at the top and go to the viewing area to take pics. Love to watch Hulk and one day would like to ride, trouble is just a small health scare so this one will probably have to wait again.

millie
27-02-2007, 04:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988

[/quote]

I don't do extreme rides but this is still my favourite park. Plenty to do for scaredy cats like me. I love to do the walkthru to fire and ice, its great. Get out at the top and go to the viewing area to take pics. Love to watch Hulk and one day would like to ride, trouble is just a small health scare so this one will probably have to wait again.
[/quote]

With the number of bags I had to hold - all i could do was stand!!!
To be honest queuing up for a ride I wasn't going to go on just to walk through it doesn't appeal. DH now goes on his own and spends all his time in single rider queues! He loves it. We don't hold him back and the Universal single rider system seems to be very good.

TracyB
28-02-2007, 01:43
My children are 15, 10 and 6 and IOA is the BEST and most favourite park for them all. My parents are in there 60's and they also love IOH - definitely a park with something for everyone. I would highly recommend and although we didn't plan on visiting the parks during our visit in September, we will be paying IOH a visit[msnwink]It just has to be done.