PDA

View Full Version : Club Hire

ccarcher
21-02-2007, 20:20
Rather than taking my own clubs along with the wife the 2 kids and all their luggage, yes for me the clubs would be top of the items that I took but maybe not for them

just wondering what the quality of club hire I am likely to obtain in the US is like

Imagine its probably better than in the Uk, what sort of prices

will be staying over at West Haven so probably looking at Championsgate and any other recommendations for courses

fiona
21-02-2007, 22:15
Hiring golf clubs is not a problem at any of the courses, they are not top of the range ones of course! From memory about $25 - 35 per set, but we now leave some out there.

Orange County National has 2 great courses, you might also like to try Diamond Back & Southern Dunes - which has a particularly pretty course. My husband always heads out to Mission Inn at Howey in the Hills which like OCN has 2 courses.

hamish
21-02-2007, 23:18
Try Highlands reserve on H27, they hire very good Cobra clubs, Ithink
there about $20.

When you arrive, go into one of the Edwin Watts golf shops and grab a florida golf booklet (free), loads of idea,s and offers.

Best of luck, from a golf nut.!![msnwink]

Clive

ccarcher
22-02-2007, 01:28
thanks for the info, maybe I'll just buy myself a new set sure the wife will be delighted to go shopping for golf clubs on our arrival !!

E. Cosgrove
22-02-2007, 02:03
We are in Championsgate area and yesterday hubby payed Diamondback and today I have dropped him at Ridgewood Lakes.

Tomorrow he is playing Celebration as it was one of his favourites on our last trip.
He played Champions Gate last trip as well and eally enjoyed it.

He bought his own clubs to leave here and they were cheaper and are better than the ones he plays with at home[msnoo]

MarkJan
22-02-2007, 02:06
For me there is no contest. Take your own clubs. Although you can hire good quality clubs pretty much at every course, there's nothing like playing with your own clubs and also, you can put your golf shoes in your bag (worth buying a pair or two in the States though).

ccarcher
22-02-2007, 14:04
I agree and would much rather play badly with my own clubs and shoes than someone elses :D

However my main concern is carrying them along with the luggage the wife and kids will no doubt insist upon

fiona
22-02-2007, 14:31
Actually taking your own clubs may now be an advantage (says she who used to end up lugging them while DH looked after the cases!) as now there is a limit on the weight and number of cases you could fill a golf bag with clothing[msnwink].

Even I who am a **** golfer play far better with my own than any hired ones, but on one of the many "I must have a new set of clubs" visits we left the older ones in the villa for us and our guests to use and bought newer and better ones to take home. I'd like to say it has improved our game .... but I am sure you all know the truth!

MarkJan
22-02-2007, 15:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
Actually taking your own clubs may now be an advantage (says she who used to end up lugging them while DH looked after the cases!) as now there is a limit on the weight and number of cases you could fill a golf bag with clothing[msnwink].

Even I who am a **** golfer play far better with my own than any hired ones, but on one of the many "I must have a new set of clubs" visits we left the older ones in the villa for us and our guests to use and bought newer and better ones to take home. I'd like to say it has improved our game .... but I am sure you all know the truth!
[/quote]

I agree Fiona. You can buy a good quality travel bag for your golf clubs from Direct Golf for less than £30 and there is loads of room for cloths etc. Especially on the way back as we just pack ours until it nearly won't close.

It's my birthday whilst in Florida next time, maybe i'm due some new clubs to help me "improve" [msnwink]

alastair
26-02-2007, 01:27
It appears that Virgin class a golf bag as one of your 2 allowed bags -- "Golfers can check in one golf bag (which includes a maximum of 14 clubs, a dozen balls and a pair of shoes) as a single item of Checked In baggage. Alternatively, if you wish to check in a golf bag in addition to your normal baggage allowance you will only be charged 50% of the normal excess fee."

BA appear to allow the golf bag as an extra piece -- "You may check in your free checked baggage allowance plus one additional item of sports equipment eg golf bag providing the item weighs up to 23kg, and does not exceed the following dimensions: 2.5m x 1.00m x 0.80m (98in x 39in x 31in). One golf bag containing: not more than 14 clubs, one dozen balls, one pair of golf shoes."

I wonder if they will look in the golf bags at check in to see if they only contain the allowed golf equipment.

Anthony Brook
26-02-2007, 02:46
I have 2 identical sets of Ping clubs. One I play with here and the other I leave in the villa. Not much of problem getting them over and now they are there it is great.
The clubs at Southern Dunes are Calloway and would cost $25 to hire.
I bought a set of irons from a small golf store down the US27 last year on Fathers Day (doing a special) $42 for the set 3-SW and I already had a bag, full set of woods and a putter so they are now left out for guests to use. Not lost much if they go missing.

ccarcher
27-02-2007, 15:35
I guess that if a golf bag is considered to be your second item of luggage then its contents are irrelevant as long as it comes within your weight limit

Anthony Brook
28-02-2007, 00:52
Absolutely, I filled all the compartments of my golf bag with various items. I wouldn't put anything in that could be damaged as they can throw the golf bags even further than the cases[msneek]
By the way I flew with Virgin when I took them over.