PDA

View Full Version : directions north or south?

mizzy
16-02-2007, 13:49
my villa owner has given me two sets of directions from mco to the villa

one says south via central florida greenway

and then the other says north via the bee line express way

we are staying at glenbrook of the US27 and we have also hired a sat nav and given the car hire people our villas address to program in

can i ask does anyone know which direction we will be sent in[msnscared] and is one route easier than the other?

suddenly it seems such a lot to take in

blott
16-02-2007, 13:55
I think the reason that they've probably given you the 'south' or 'north' direction is that you'll find that's what it says on the road signs. The directions I give our guests is to follow a road sign that says 'north' even though they're going south!

You could find that the sat nav directions will be exactly the same as one of the the ones you've received from the owner. The sat nav will usually work out the quickest route for you so personally, I'd follow that.

Here's another set using the 192 if you're more comfortable with that.

From Orlando International Airport MCO:
Take the Airport South exit to 417 and take 417 Greenway South.
Exit at Celebration Avenue and turn right.
At the traffic light, turn left on Highway 192 West.
Proceed past the Disney main gate entrance about seven miles.
Proceed onto Highway 27 North.
Go approximately one mile, until the third traffic light, and turn right.

BTW, the Beeline Expressway is now called the Beachline Expressway or the Martin Andersen Beachline Expressway but it's State Road 528.

Both the Beachline (SR 528) and Central Florida Greenway State Road (SR 417) are toll roads. You'll need some $1 or small denomination bills so make sure that you get these in the UK or by purchasing something at the airport and getting change.

mizzy
16-02-2007, 13:59
but that's the problem Blott, i've been emailed two sets of directions (both from mco to the villa) from the owner[msnscared]

different routes, same destination, one must be easier for a first timer behind the wheel?

Snapper
16-02-2007, 14:41
There isn't much difference between them Mizzy. You will probably also find that both routes end up on 192 west, and from there it's the same directions to Glenbrook.

For what it's worth I tend to find 417 (via the south exit from MCO) a bit quieter most times.

If you use the Celebration exit off 417 (as per Blottie's directions) you will need a couple of quarters. There is an unmanned toll on that exit and you need a couple of quarters for it. I don't think it takes dollar bills or cards.

If you want to avoid this (and we usually do) we go to the end of 417 where it joins onto I-4. We then take I-4 west down to exit 55 and at exit 55 pick-up hwy-27 north. It's a few miles longer but it always feels quicker because there are hardly any traffic lights.

MarkJan
16-02-2007, 15:19
I have pasted below the directions we give to our guests from Orlandi International. Hopefully, they should match up with one set of directions you have.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MarkJan/2007216101826_Directions.JPG

wrpac00
16-02-2007, 16:28
I use the same way Mark has shown.

julieanne
16-02-2007, 16:35
Don't want to confuse things - I have used the same route as Steve (Snapper) but would imagine there's very little difference between his and Marks suggestion.
If you're using sat nav why not wait and see which route it takes you?

Susan J
16-02-2007, 18:31
417 is probably longer,and a bit more boring as it skirts around the perimeter, whereas 528 [beeline/beachline]is a direct route with more to see on it -first glimpse of seaworld etc

wendyd
16-02-2007, 21:25
Hi Mizzy
If i am out without hubby and i have to drive i use the same as Snapper (Steve) i find this route fine i also have a villa on Glenbrook. On my next visit in April i am taking sat nav just so i can venture further afield and hopefuly will find my way back. [msneek]

jillizzy
16-02-2007, 21:57
Another vote for Snapper's route apart from the fact I would use exit 58 rather than 55.

KJH
16-02-2007, 23:23
We have a villa on Glenbrook and the 417 to Celebration then onto the 192 is usually the quickest and easiest route. Make sure you have $$ and cents for the tolls.

17-02-2007, 00:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
There isn't much difference between them Mizzy. You will probably also find that both routes end up on 192 west, and from there it's the same directions to Glenbrook.

For what it's worth I tend to find 417 (via the south exit from MCO) a bit quieter most times.

If you use the Celebration exit off 417 (as per Blottie's directions) you will need a couple of quarters. There is an unmanned toll on that exit and you need a couple of quarters for it. I don't think it takes dollar bills or cards.

[/quote]

This is the route we always use, its much quieter during rush hour too[msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
21-02-2007, 01:22
I prefer 417 just after along flight as it is definitely quieter and gives you time to acclimatize to driving in the US.

mistert
21-02-2007, 02:49
I agree Liz. 417 is quieter and with fewer distractions, especially for a first timer.

carolmc
21-02-2007, 11:09
We also use 417, as above, gives you a chance to get used to the car.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-02-2007, 11:13
Us too [msnsmile]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by carolmc
We also use 417, as above, gives you a chance to get used to the car.
[/quote]

Florida Joy
21-02-2007, 20:47
We also prefer the 417 but still send our guest onto SR528 and then I4 this is because of the roadworks at I4 and 192 which can be confusing.
Have the roadworks been completed yet we have not been out since November and 192 over I4 was still a mess.

MarkJan
21-02-2007, 21:14
Hmmm, I thought my directions based on only 4 roads to Glenbrook were pretty easy. I'll have to have a look at 417 in April.

wendyd
22-02-2007, 14:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MarkJan
Hmmm, I thought my directions based on only 4 roads to Glenbrook were pretty easy. I'll have to have a look at 417 in April.
[/quote]
Mark
The 417 route is good for first time drivers whom haven't drove in the US before and are not familiar with US highways.
Wendy

thornton
23-02-2007, 07:11
As one who has a villa very close to Glenbrook I would think that the the 417, then Osceola Parkway and then 192 onto the 192 then 27 would be the best way. Just make sure you have some notes less than 20 dollars and get some change inclusing 25c coins so you have some for the unmanned tolls. We have done this journey four times in the last five weeks picking up various guests and think it is the best way. Mizzy if you DM when we get home I will give you our home phone number and let you know what we think is the best and easiest way.

MarkJan
23-02-2007, 13:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by thornton
As one who has a villa very close to Glenbrook I would think that the the 417, then Osceola Parkway and then 192 onto the 192 then 27 would be the best way.[/quote]Our normal route is Osceola onto Sherberth, Black Lake Rd onto 192 but think that route is too complicated to give to guests.

mizzy
23-02-2007, 13:55
now you've got me wondering which way the sat nav will direct us[msneek]

Mizzy

KJH
24-02-2007, 01:10
417 is the most straightforward easy route for a first timer.

bargainqueen
24-02-2007, 21:21
I always used to go the Bline expressway (528) but found that by the time I hit the I4 it was nearing rushhour and after a long flight found the speed that everyone else was doing was very daunting. I much prefer the 417 Florida Greeneway definately a better route for tired drivers.

bargainqueen
24-02-2007, 21:56
Thinking some more on your original question I think the way the americans name there roads is what is confusing you. It depends on on where the road is on the florida map as to whether it is north/south or east/west.

The I4 is East/West, when I first used the SR528 I thought I had to turn off at the Orlando exit (East) instead of the Tampa (West). The SR528 must start further down the coast so therefore by travelling up it you're going North. Just looked at a map and it goes straight across so that's shot my theory although it finishes at the I4.

Best bet is to study the map of Florida, when you join a road you will either be going left or right but the road signs will also give you the end destination or where you are heading towards.

I've always found the Orange Guide Map very good as it has several maps inside. If you don't have one from your last trip then DM me and I can forward one on to you. We have the route off pat so I can always pick up another when we go shopping in Walmart.