PDA

View Full Version : Cost of petrol

The Count
05-02-2007, 21:08
It is much cheaper to fill it up and return it full.

Hi All,

I have noticed that when you hire a car on the silver inclusive deal your car fuel tank is full at the start of rental and you should return it empty at which point you will be charged for a full tank of petol( or should that be gas). Does anyone know how much the car hire company is likely to charge for petrol, ie. is it at a similar rate per gallon to local forecourt prices? Also if you return the car with a partially full fuel tank, say half full for examlpe, are you charged for just a half tank of petrol or are you still charged for the full tanks worth?

cheers

ellie
05-02-2007, 21:34
Hi

I believe you have to pay for the tank of petrol ON ARRIVAL, not as you indicate, on the return of the car. So if you return it full, or partially full that will be your loss.

This is the information on www.uscarhire.co.uk

Dollar / Alamo / U-Save ~ You pay for a tank of fuel on arrival. The tank will be full on collection and you return empty.

The cost of a tank of petrol if you pay on arrival can vary according to the type of vehicle and can be quite substantial - so we normally use the gold option which includes the tank of petrol. This means no hassle at either the check in desk or when we return the car.

Fourdents
05-02-2007, 21:48
Personally I think the Gold option is better
Okay, you may pay a bit more than at the pumps but as Ellie said less hassle after a long flight.

Towards the end of the stay I tend to run the "gas" low and put in just enough to get me back to the airport.

roger
06-02-2007, 00:14
On the Silver option with us you have to return the car empty and pay for a full tank of fuel with Dollar, Alamo and U-Save. The cost per gallon is usually more than 50% above the regaulr cost. Payment is taken on return of your car (although your credit card details are taken when you collect the car).

The Silver option with us using Budget, you return the car full and therefore do not pay.

Robert5988
06-02-2007, 01:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Personally I think the Gold option is better
Okay, you may pay a bit more than at the pumps but as Ellie said less hassle after a long flight.

Towards the end of the stay I tend to run the "gas" low and put in just enough to get me back to the airport.[/quote]

For 1 weeks rental the costs work out the same. e.g. the extra you pay for Gold is about the cost of a tank of petrol.

However, unless you need the extra drivers, you are just paying an extra $30+ a week for what?

roger
06-02-2007, 11:36
This is only true for Budget, as you refill the car yourself before you take it back, and on the small cars this maybe only around equiv of £15. With the other companies, you will be charged $50 - $100 for a tank depending on the size of car.

In general we say for rentals of 2 weeks or less the Gold option is better even if you dont need more than 2 drivers.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Personally I think the Gold option is better

Towards the end of the stay I tend to run the "gas" low and put in just enough to get me back to the airport.[/quote]

For 1 weeks rental the costs work out the same. e.g. the extra you pay for Gold is about the cost of a tank of petrol.

However, unless you need the extra drivers, you are just paying an extra $30+ a week for what?
[/quote]

CERICROWLEY
06-02-2007, 13:16
I totally agree with taking the gold option.

We have been out numerous times and for different lengths of stay.

Did four days, a week, two weeks and six weeks. Taking the gold option for a one week or two week stay is a lot cheaper, we normally have a SUV and the tank of gas normally costs about $80 give or take, and usually the gold option meant we only pay about £20 or so pounds more depending on your car. When we went for 6 wseeks, it was then cheaper to take the silver option and pay for the gas.

The Count
06-02-2007, 20:32
I have joined Dollar Express as I had planned to use their car hire service. I had planned to book the silver inclusive package as their will only be two named drivers this time, mself and my wife. Consequently, when signing up for Dollar express membership, I clicked on "accept" for pre paid fuel. Now if I was to book a car under the gold inclusive package would I still be liable to pay for fuel to Dollar Rental cars?
Also from memory it cost approximately $40 to fill up a 4x4 in november. Even if Dollar charged fifty percent more for a full tank of fuel, this would still only be $60, which is about the same as the difference in the silver and gold package cost for two weeks hire of a 4x4 with Dollar. I guess if there isnt much difference in cost I would just like to take the most convenient option, preferrably using my dollar express memmership to speed us through the hire process.
All advice gratefully recieved as always.

blott
06-02-2007, 22:32
I think the cost is more than $60 somehow... We had a Pacifica last May and the cost for fuel from Dollar was $105, although I don't know by how much a 4 x 4 differs in tank size?

Convenient is paying for the Gold option and not having to worry at all about the fuel I would guess. If you're going for a couple of weeks, then this probably works out a similar price. You'll need the Gold option anyway if you have more than two drivers.

If you're going for a longer period, then you need to do some math - when we went for six weeks, it was cheaper for us to use the Silver option.

Robert5988
07-02-2007, 00:46
The extra you pay for Gold seems the same(about £15 a week regardless of the size of your car) So if you have a bigger vehicle Gold is better value, with as Roger says somewhere approaching 2 weeks is the break even point.

Fuel cost about $2.15 a gallon now. I was charged $30.21(including taxes) by Alamo for a full tank on Chevy HHR this time - take it back empty.

palmvillas
07-02-2007, 02:08
We always go for the Gold option 2 drivers and take the car back empty it's just so easy even if you have a quater of a tank of fuel left it is so cheap anyway.

Debbie

Florida Joy
09-02-2007, 13:30
We always take the gold option not because of the cost of filling up the car before returning it but the hassle factor. When you get into the parking lot you get your cases out of the car and hand over the keys and walk away. We have enough to do getting everything loaded onto trollies and into the airport. With the gold option you don't have to go back into the office and start paying for the gas you have used. I have heard so many agruements at airports about how much the rental companies charge for filling up returned cars that the gold option is with it.

blott
09-02-2007, 13:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Florida Joy
We always take the gold option not because of the cost of filling up the car before returning it but the hassle factor. When you get into the parking lot you get your cases out of the car and hand over the keys and walk away. We have enough to do getting everything loaded onto trollies and into the airport. With the gold option you don't have to go back into the office and start paying for the gas you have used. I have heard so many agruements at airports about how much the rental companies charge for filling up returned cars that the gold option is with it.[/quote]I'm not sure where you've rented from but with Dollar Silver you aim to take the car back empty as there's no credit for a full tank (or anything in the tank come to that) and you're charged for fuel anyway.

When you arrive at the airport on your return, you do just hand your keys over and walk away as the car rental company will have taken a swipe of your credit card when you picked up the car. There really is no hassle involved at all.

After you've returned home, your credit card statement will show the amount you've been charged for fuel. When we returned two weeks ago, it worked out to $53.68 or £27.06 on my Nationwide credit card for an Intermediate 4 door car. More than the price of filling it up yourself in Florida but no hassle. :)

Florida Joy
12-02-2007, 19:47
Hi Blott
Your right in that you pay for the gas with the credit card you gave when you picked up the car but for us the added bonus of the gold option is the number of drivers that you can have free of charge.
The difference between the silver and gold option for a 4 door intermedate of £30 vs £27 for your tank fill up. The difference between a 4x4 gold and silver options is still £30 and your gas fill up will be much more expensive and you also get the extra named drivers which is of benefit to us but may not be to others, you pays your money etc etc:)

The Count
14-02-2007, 13:51
As we are going for just two weeks I suspect that the extra cost of paying for the gold option, about £30, will be at least offset by having a free tank of fuel. From what you have all said, I suspect Dollar would probably charge more than $60 for the fuel at the end of the rental. My mind is made up then, Gold it is. Thanks guys.