PDA

View Full Version : I visa

E. Cosgrove
03-02-2007, 12:44
Does anyone know anything about these?

My niece is a production assistant for a UK TV company and is off to Hollywood to work on the Oscars for Sky TV[msnoo] ( I kid you not)

She has been issued with a 5 year " I visa" which apparently is most commonly issued to journalists and media.
I asked if there was a number after the I as well but she tells me no.

If this is a working visa how will this affect her when she travels for leisure purposes, does anyone know?

We are off to Florida in June and she is keen to know what she needs to do for that.

ShirleyD
03-02-2007, 13:25
It was many years ago, (pre visa waver) but when I had a working visa as cabin crew, I didn't need to get a tourist one as well when I travelled on holiday. I would just fill in the landing forms as a vacation traveller

blott
03-02-2007, 14:00
This might help?

I am a journalist who will be attending a conference. What type of visa doe I require?
The classification of visa required for travel to the United States is determined by the purpose of the visit, not the profession of the traveler. A classification B-1 (business) visa, or visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program is appropriate for persons attending a conference. A journalist employed by a media organization or a freelance journalist under contract to a media organization who will be filing a story on his/her return will require the appropriate “I” classification visa.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/faqs/faq_visa_niv.html#niv052

Sounds like if you're not travelling with your job, you need the ordinary visa waiver or B2?

03-02-2007, 14:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ShirleyD
It was many years ago, (pre visa waver) but when I had a working visa as cabin crew, I didn't need to get a tourist one as well when I travelled on holiday. I would just fill in the landing forms as a vacation traveller
[/quote]

Shirley when I was BA Crew pre visa waiver I had 2 indefinite visa's, one for working and one was a tourist visa, I still have them in my old passposrts but of course they are now not valid[msnsad]

E. Cosgrove
03-02-2007, 19:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
This might help?

I am a journalist who will be attending a conference. What type of visa doe I require?
The classification of visa required for travel to the United States is determined by the purpose of the visit, not the profession of the traveler. A classification B-1 (business) visa, or visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program is appropriate for persons attending a conference. A journalist employed by a media organization or a freelance journalist under contract to a media organization who will be filing a story on his/her return will require the appropriate “I” classification visa.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/faqs/faq_visa_niv.html#niv052

Sounds like if you're not travelling with your job, you need the ordinary visa waiver or B2?
[/quote]

Thanks Blott, sounds like she has the correct visa for her job, just need to find out if she can travel on the visa waiver for hols or if now that she has a visa in her passport she needs another visa for leisure travel.
What a headache!!