PDA

View Full Version : Guilt Trip

MTP
29-01-2007, 16:44
Just watched Al Gore's film over the weekend, The Inconvenient Truth, and it is really fascinating and quite worrying.

I was therefore wondering what the like's of Dollar and Alamo's position is and could they not source vehicles with high MPG's. They don't seem to have anything on their website and I was wondering about approaching them, but I also wondered if you would be taken more notice of if you said to them that you were beginning to have customers asking about these details.

Would be interested in your thoughts.

roger
29-01-2007, 17:02
I've not seen the film, but I assume you are saying about cars that use a lot of fuel? I dont think there is much we could do from this end, but since the rental companies have to offer a wide range of car sizes, it's probably more a matter of the manufacturers using more economical engines. As long as there is demand from customers (and no alternative provider for customers to use with lower fuel consumption) then I dont think they would do much about it.

MTP
29-01-2007, 17:30
The film is well worth seeing. It is discussing global warming, and basically follows a lecture that Al Gore gives on the subject. One of the factors it mentions is the fact that the American motoring manufacturs have a poor record in this area and there are various arguments against enforcing stricter emission legislation on the manufacturers. Al Gore says that the pro-manufacturer lobby claim that the market would then be flooded with Chinese imports due to the cost burden on American cars - but China already has got stricter emmision controls than America and American cars wouldn't currently be allowed to be sold in China!

Anyway, I think another point that Al Gore makes is that we all feel as individuals that there is little that we can do on a personal basis, especially against the mite of large multi-nationals. But if we all make an individual decision and ask these companies then they will listen to what will become a strong collective request. So can ask Dollar and Alamo myself and they may not just listen to me, but if other people and organisations start asking then they may start listening. The worst thing is to do nothing.

Liesel
29-01-2007, 21:42
I saw an advert for a new car yesterday and I think they were claiming that the car had 1 tonne (ton?) less carbon dioxide emissions than standard vehicles. Have I understood this correctly? I find the thought of that level of emissions horrifying!![msnscared] I can only imagine what an aircraft is chucking out, I had no idea the levels were so high.

Liesel