PDA

View Full Version : Leaving keys in the Car with engine running

saldisneymad
25-01-2007, 18:42
We went to the Peabody's for Sunday Brunch in Nov, I was a little disappointed we had been 2 years before, when the choice of food was much larger. We had a small incident when we arrived, we were late to meet friends and decided on valet service for the car, my husband got out the car to speak to the valet leaving my grandson who was sleeping in the car & the engine on. You know what happen next the car locked the keys inside including my grandson. It wasn't a warm day and the air-con was on, the valet's called a locksmith who said who would get there in 20 mins, fine my grandson was still sleeping. In the mean time 2 sherriffs arrived who called a fire truck, luckily the locksmith arrived before the fire truck & opened the car costing $100.00. My grandson was still sleeping, he woke up when his mother picked him up out of his carseat to be inspected by the sherriff. Grandson, Granddad, Mother were a little taken a back by the whole thing, (well my grandson wasn't he tucked into to a good brunch) they found it difficult to eat much. The moral to this story never leave an American car running with the keys in & don't be late for brunch.
Sally C

LiesaAnna
25-01-2007, 19:29
poor you!!
bet you can see the funny side now? glad all was well [:I]

Pegasus928
26-01-2007, 23:05
Last time we hired a car we were only issued with the 1 key for it - which I thought was a bit risky.
Fortunately for us we didn't have any problems, but your story just goes to show how easy it can be.
Glad everything worked out OK in the end.
Pegasus

trevlad
27-01-2007, 04:11
dont seem to matter if you get issued with 5 keys for an american hire car as they all seem to come tied together on an unbreakable corded wire loop. so you'd end up with 5 keys locked in the car!!!

walmart hack saw is the answer[msnwink]

JoRo
27-01-2007, 15:19
I never understand this system of the keys being fastened together. It would be great to have 2 sets!!
Joyce

orlandodaze
03-02-2007, 03:47
I was interested to hear what you had to say about the Peabody Brunch because when we were there last Summer we were rather disappointed with the change in the menu,in fact it was the first time we had something to eat later on that evening.Not enough variety anymore Too much of the same .It became a yearly thing for us to do but I think I will look elsewhere next time . Sorry to hear about your awful experiance with the car and Im glad you got it all sorted out in the end .

joanneoliver
04-02-2007, 12:31
I remember having this problem in 2003 although it was my father-in-law asleep in the car! :)

Ever since then, and given that we have two young kids, I always split the two keys I get with the rental car, one for me and one to go in Jo's handbag - peace of mind!

On one occassion, the rental company only gave us one key and swore they didn't have a second. As it was late, I just left it. We had a brand new Trail Blazer and on the first morning I found the second key with the owners manual in the boot (sorry, trunk ;) ).