PDA

View Full Version : hurricane at Florida

yun
04-09-2003, 00:20
HI..
I am longing to move to Florida..because it's weather and affordable house. But, there's two things I am worried about. First the Hurricanes, How bad is it and how often.Are all homeowner have to fix the house every year because of it ? Second, people say the wages very small ( I work as Cetified nursing Assistant here in Washington State..average wage is 12.00/hour and as caregiver at adult famiy home for disabled $10/hour ). So can anyone tell me about which area should I choose to living ( I just thinking around Disney world, because I have 2 kids. What type of house strong enough to hurricanes. And how much average wages for job as I do now.Thank you so much for anybody who has time to answer those question.

blott
04-09-2003, 02:29
Hi Yun

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, it is extremely rare for a hurricane to go as far inland as central Florida. I think I'm right in saying that the last Hurricane in Florida was Hurricane Andrew in August 1992 which was near Miami. Florida also has special building codes so that homes built are guaranteed withstand winds of 100 mph and you can also take out hurricane insurance with your home insurance.

I'm not sure about wages in Florida but, if you have a look at http://www.orlandosentinel.com you'll find some jobs advertised there and also at http://www.peterofflorida.com/florida12.htm you'll find lots of links to Florida hospitals with website links you can check out. I would think that you wouldn't have much problem finding work with your qualifications as Florida is a retirement area where there are nursing shortages.

esprit
04-09-2003, 08:48
There is a 15% shortage of qualified nurses in Florida currently. The starting salary for a nurse is $31,000-35,000. That is for a nurse, not sure what a nursing assistant is. I have a friend who wants to train as a nurse in Florida and my son is also currently looking at college degrees in the health professions which is how I know this.

sunshine state
04-09-2003, 17:48
Yes most of the Hurricanes are on the coast and usually orlando gets what they call the tail end of it this usually consistes of some rain and some strong winds not as bad as the real thing.

mike

chrizzy100
04-09-2003, 18:49
quote:Originally posted by yun

HI..
I am longing to move to Florida..because it's weather and affordable house. But, there's two things I am worried about. First the Hurricanes, How bad is it and how often.Are all homeowner have to fix the house every year because of it ? Second, people say the wages very small ( I work as Cetified nursing Assistant here in Washington State..average wage is 12.00/hour and as caregiver at adult famiy home for disabled $10/hour ). So can anyone tell me about which area should I choose to living ( I just thinking around Disney world, because I have 2 kids. What type of house strong enough to hurricanes. And how much average wages for job as I do now.Thank you so much for anybody who has time to answer those question.

Flooding is the thing to worry about in central FL......more than wind......new houses are now made to take higher wind speeds....
But a lot of homes have been built on low ground in the last few years....I looked around for higher ground....not easy in Orlando..I also found out that the builder had made sure the areas not a high risk flood area....after being in Orlando after a flood.....it was high on my list of things to look out for.....the water ceiling is low in Orlando and has been for years....I wanted a place away from water....just because I've seen the flooding up here in Mass near the ponds in bad weather.......I'm more happy going to look at water somewhere else than have it visit me in my living room some day....we have a lot of big major storms heading our way on the east coast so we are told this year.....they are cutting down trees near power lines here....making plans to get everyone off Cape......and just repaired the old hurricane siren near us..so they are worried....I'd be tons happier sitting out a storm in my place in FL....then in my little wooden house here...but staying that..its done 70+ winds in the last few years ok.....and its been through major storms in the past.....in the end its down to luck if you get damage really......

yun
06-09-2003, 11:06
so..is the flood the problem in central Florida ?
How can we know if the house is in the flood area or not ? I am really courious about living in Florida, because the house very affordable, and look nice, and the subtropical weather, but hurricanes. Is anyone know which specific area in central Florida not too hot/humid in Summer time, but oddly hurricanes and Flooding. Thanks [:I]

chrizzy100
06-09-2003, 19:19
quote:Originally posted by yun

so..is the flood the problem in central Florida ?
How can we know if the house is in the flood area or not ? I am really courious about living in Florida, because the house very affordable, and look nice, and the subtropical weather, but hurricanes. Is anyone know which specific area in central Florida not too hot/humid in Summer time, but oddly hurricanes and Flooding. Thanks [:I]

Well right now is the best time to look at areas that flood...FLs had its highest rain fall in years....and some areas are starting to flood....with the Hurricanes hanging about the area right now you should be able to get some idea what areas will flood....look at yahoo weather news...see what areas need sandbagging...your realtor should know if the house you're interesting in has or could flood.....